It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria selectively kill males

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Bacteria selectively kill males

news.bbc.co.uk

Bacteria that infect insects kill male embryos and themselves in "adaptive suicide", say researchers.

Wolbachia bacteria inhabit the cells of many small creatures, and females can transmit that infection to their offspring in their eggs.

the bacteria selectively kill unborn males, to increase the number of females born.

Wolbachia are cellular endosymbionts, meaning that they can only survive inside the cells of their hosts.

Researchers estimate that two thirds of insect species ha
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

They found that the infected females gave birth to an average of 20 daughters for every son.

Interesting stuff to say the least!

Scary part is scientists want to make modified strains of it and test it on mosquitoes, how knows what can happen next.

Interestingly, some rare feminized males, which are characterised by an extremely low bacterium density, maintain testes and a male genome-methylation pattern.

Our data show that Wolbachia infection disrupts male imprinting, and the alteration occurs only if the bacterium exceeds a threshold density.
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

This doesn't sound as something that was originally created naturally by nature does it?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It reminds me of what was said in Jurassic Park, " Nature finds a way." ?No matter what we do, it's not usually a very good idea without a crystal ball or a time machine.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
sounds like a script from a horror movie..when will scientists stop trying to kill everything?.. wont belong until there's an accident and it gets released into the wild...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm not so sure I understand the article. So scientists are trying to replicate what is happening in nature and try to kill people with it?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It's a possible way to either someday sterilize or kill male humans. That is not a good thing incase people still don't get it. TPTB would still need a few of us after all. Lol.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
They found a way to make artificial semen a month or so ago, and now this...?

In all seriousness though, this sounds like the plot from some C grade horror movie, or a spinoff of "Children of Men"

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I was just reading this article, Ant has given up sex completely, researchers say

The complete asexuality of a widespread fungus-gardening ant, the only ant species in the world known to have dispensed with males entirely

Guess us males are a dieing breed.

-E-

[edit on 26-8-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Pretty scary stuff for humanity..........but.............think of all those lonely women!!

As a virile male that has 3 sons and all males in my direct lineage above me (father with 2 boys, grandfather with 3 boys, great-grandfather with 3 boys, etc.), I would be in high demand!!

I'm joking of course, and I think scientists need to quit messing with this stuff. It is fine to study and observe, but trying to species-jump is unacceptable. I live in Florida and I am already a victim of the "Love Bugs" that were supposedly engineered by U of F to combat mosquitoes! All they do is breed and clog radiators all day, but they don't affect the mosquitoes at all!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Wow I live in FL and I never knew that. I hate those things they are everywhere.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

en.wikipedia.org...

Urban legend holds that lovebugs are synthetic — the result of a University of Florida genetics experiment gone wrong[3]. Speculation about the lovebug abounds. This is partly due to the fact that this insect is an unseen beneficial (lives and feeds in the thatch of grasses) for most of the year. As a result, most scientists are not as concerned with the details of this insect's life cycle, biology and other facets of its existence as they are with more serious pests. For example, while various fungi are known or suspected of being natural controls for this species,[1] time and funding do not allow for more study, except as a side interest.

Research of L. L. Buschman showed that migration explained the introduction of the lovebug into Florida and other southeastern states, contrary to the urban myth that the University of Florida created them by manipulating DNA to control mosquito populations.[4]

Maybe U of F is innocent, but it is a very popular myth! Who knows what kinds of things have been created this way!

new topics

top topics

join