It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The babies born in hospital corridors: Bed shortage forces 4,000 mothers to give birth in lifts, off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The babies born in hospital corridors: Bed shortage forces 4,000 mothers to give birth in lifts, offices and hospital toilets

www.dailymail.co.uk

Thousands of women are having to give birth outside maternity wards because of a lack of midwives and hospital beds.

The lives of mothers and babies are being put at risk as births in locations ranging from lifts to toilets - even a caravan - went up 15 per cent last year to almost 4,000.

Health chiefs admit a lack of maternity beds is partly to blame for the crisis, with hundreds of women in labour being turned away from hospitals because they are full.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is where America is headed. This bill has nothing to do with healthcare reform. It has everything to do with slowing the growth of Medicare.

The way they will slow the growth of Medicare will be by rationing healthcare.

This is why Obama always talks about reducing volume. He told the one lady who asked about her elderly mother that maybe the elderly just needs the pain pill instead of surgery.

This is not something that a hanpicked Obama panel should decide. This is between a Dr. and patient.

The healthcare system needs some work but not fundamental change. They want to turn Medicare into a massive insurance company ran by the government in order to slow the growth of Medicare by rationing healthcare services.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here's more from the article:

Latest figures show that over the past two years there were at least:

63 births in ambulances and 608 in transit to hospitals;

117 births in A&E departments, four in minor injury units and two in medical assessment areas;

115 births on other hospital wards and 36 in other unspecified areas including corridors;

399 in parts of maternity units other than labour beds, including postnatal and antenatal wards and reception areas.

Additionally, overstretched maternity units shut their doors to any more women in labour on 553 occasions last year.

Babies were born in offices, lifts, toilets and a caravan, according to the Freedom of Information data for 2007 and 2008 from 117 out of 147 trusts which provide maternity services.

Again, this has nothing to do with healthcare. Politicians always use an emotional front to block reason. They use healthcare and the uninsured as an excuse to turn Medicare into an insurance company that will ration healthcare services.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I believe this is scare mongering, I always thought that babies were born when they decided to be born, not by some politicians time table??

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

And you use this article to run down the NHS. How many Americans have experienced the NHS and it has changed the UK.

Yes, the NHS does have faults and of course there is also opportunity to improve the service.

I fail to see how the NHS we have in the UK, will be the same as what is being proposed in the US.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
America will end up much worse. The British are incredibly patient and naturally well organized. I am afraid as with the public school system the American public health system will make the British public health system look first class.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There's already a thread on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
I believe this is scare mongering, I always thought that babies were born when they decided to be born, not by some politicians time table??

So a shortage of beds and doctors is the fault of the baby being born at the wrong time? What? That doesn't even make sense. It doesn't matter when a baby is born, on its own accord, there should be beds in the hospital to suit the capacity.
You are seriously brainwashed or just not using your head here.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

Do you have children? Most kids are born after hours of labor, not 10 minutes like in the movies. These babies were born outside the appropriate hospital environment not because it just so happened to be where the woman was located when she went into labor. They were mostly born under these less than ideal circumstances because nationalized health care sucks.

It sucks to be uninsured, I know because I am uninsured, but Hussain's plan is bad for America just like Canada's health care system sucks and Europe's health care system sucks. When a Canadian or a European needs a operation, and they need it now, they come to the US and pay for it. They don't wait for their government health care system gets around to it.

Clinton's plan was a good idea. Allow uninsured Americans to join the group that is federal employees benefit plan and allow us to buy private insurance at a very reduced level by subsidizing it.

John Kerry had a good idea... let the government pick up the tab for catastrophic injuries and conditions which cost the insurance industry the most thereby allowing private insurance companies to lower rates dramatically.

Hussain's public option will destroy private industry and will decimate the health care industry. It will also cost us a ton of money as tax payers.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

I think we have to reserve our sympathies here for a bit untill we look at everything in context.

Given the state of the UK it wouldn't surprise me if the bulk of these babies were conceived in a club toilet or hallway anyway.
So hey what the hell allocate the beds to the mothers that intend raising a child not a fashion accessory or means to a new flat.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

The US health system IS ALREADY WORSE.

5 Daeths per 1000 births in the UK, life expentancy 78.7 years.

6.4 deaths per 1000 births in the US, life expentency 78 years.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by uaocteaou

There is more room for failure. The last thing our population control gurus want are healthy babies. The population people are all too chummy with the government. They are frothing at the mouth at the thought of all the abuse they will make pregnant women suffer.The only thing which has saved us so far are Catholic hospitals and threats of lawsuits both of which will disappear if the government is given the power it desires.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by uaocteaou
reply to post by eradown

The US health system IS ALREADY WORSE.

5 Daeths per 1000 births in the UK, life expentancy 78.7 years.

6.4 deaths per 1000 births in the US, life expentency 78 years.

This statistic is meaningless when you look at the populations of the 2 countries.

The UK is 60 plus million and the United States is 200 million plus. If we get a public option and Medicare turns into a massive insurance program then we are in deep trouble.

The problems in the UK health system in a country of 200 million will be devestating to our population.

Prezza uses both (or, rather, a mangled version of each). The NHS, he says, is Britain’s “greatest creation”. Really? Greater than parliamentary democracy? Greater than penicillin? Greater than the discovery of DNA, or the abolition of slavery, or the common law? John, the NHS produces some of the worst health outcomes in the industrialised world. Britain is the Western state where you’d least want to have cancer or a stroke or heart disease. Ours is now a country where thousands of people are killed in hospitals for reasons unrelated to their original condition. If this is our “greatest creation”, Heaven help us.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

If you bring this nonsense to a country of 200 plus million, we will be devistated.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
608 births in Ambulances en route to Hospital? So what. I was born in the back of a cab which was crawling through a London fog on the way to St Thomas's. 117 in A&E, which are the reception Departments for Hospitals. So? 115 in wards other than maternity, 399 in parts of maternity wards other than their beds!, one in a hospital lift whilst being transferred between wards,another in a Hospital toilet (# happens, so do babies, sometimes both at the same time!). Did these births take place under medical supervision with help close at hand? Yes. Is the NHS perfect? No. Is the Daily Mail nailing its political colours to the mast in time for the Election? It certainly looks like it.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I've seen emergency patients in the US (all bandaged up and looking hurt) in corridors of a hospital in the US, apparently for lack of space. There are horror stories in almost any country when it gets to medical care. In the US, there have been removal of kidneys on the wrong side, surgical tools left in the cavity etc, so please don't give that crap about US care being intrinsically superior. It's not.

I've evidenced and heard about many positive experiences in both the US and European countries. I just think our (US) system is backward and unproductive, with so many middle men and payment managers and collection agencies and lots of other people who are rude to you on the phone (because the hospital assigned an anesthesiologist to you who didn't participate in yout health plan).

It's just waste and that's why the powerful lobby and others love it -- every dollar the rest of us is spending unnecessarily goes into their pocket, and they will do their best to scare living daylights out of you so that you don't dare to redirect the cash flow.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by buddhasystem]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I was saying that being born in a caravan or in the ambulance, or on the way to maternity ward does and will happen no matter how good your health sevice is. There is a slight twisting of figures here I think.

to reply to Finemanm, No I don't have children but I worked in a hospital for 2 years. My sis' bith was over and done in an hour. Also there have been several cases of ladies giving birth in hospital toilets because of there beliefs and don't want the girl they've just given birth to.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by Kurokage]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My wife had a private suite to bring our baby boy into the world. She was there for 3 days, with room service, color TV and cable and nursing staff on call.

She looks back on the whole experience fondly. Oh Well. What a shame.

top topics

join