It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Athiests you should meditate and pray really

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

placebo exactly!! ive thought about that for a long time

excellent post oh and zaiger you just because meditating and prayer may be good for you doesnt mean the proof of god

a sugar pill can do you alot of good if you think they are mood enhancers, steroids, etc/ doesnt mean the effects are proof that your taking the real pill

also if you give a child apple juice and tell him its wine then he will probably think he is drunk an act accordingly

i think that explains it all really

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Wouldn't this belong in BTS' Faith and Spirituality?

This forum is dedicated to the speculation and examination into conspiracies and scandals perpetrated or inspired by organized religions. This forum is not for the general discussion of religious topics. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals.

Eric

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

I don't know about praying but meditation never hurt anyone.

Even though I'm now an agnostic I find I can still "speak in tongues" (Glossolalia). Thing is its typically taught as a supernatural or divine thing but it turns out it can be done with no faith whatsoever. Pretty sure its linked to a certain deep emotional mental state much like what is caused by prayer or mediation.

Glossolalia

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Religion doesn't have the spirituality market cornered, not by a LONG shot.

Spirituality is probably interwoven with our biology.

Spirituality is a part of our organic biological experience/flow-of-sensation.
Arguably we are spiritual beings, almost certainly in part.
Instead of doing a binary cleavage of either-or with spirituality, we should see it as a natural intrinsic & NECESSARY aspect of our biology.

Meditation is certainly something to consider as an atheist for its possible benefits,

but to pray implies some kind of confirmed religious belief or at least speculation.

To enable, strengthen, increase our self centric balance is generally to have a better mind.

A lot of religion is sold like pre-processed, industrialized 'spirituality'. It tends towards monotony & machine-like uniformity, for the good & bad of it.

I prefer the notion that spirituality is a unique, personal, intimate experience that one only sometimes shares with some others.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

Wouldn't you be better served by submitting that as an alert to someone who could make a determination and act upon it? Like say, a member of the staff?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Hey man. Thanks for the concern, but I'm good.

I mediate and eat tofu. My father and grandfather (both ordained Episcopal ministers) pray enough for five or six people combined.

Appreciate the heads up though. Interesting story. Much more interesting (and about a million times less dogmatic) than the post title led me to assume it would be! In fact, I'm going to flag this. No star though. Weak writeup.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Of course good and evil are 'subjective'.

The pope flat out saying 'condoms are bad mkay' and exposing millions to AIDS is pretty bloody evil.

Those westboro church tools who hate on gays and protest peoples funerals are pretty bloody evil.

Atheist/satanist/whateverist's who burn down churches are pretty bloody evil.

Im sure the pope thinks hes doing all sorts of good by stopping people from going to hell for looking at a rubber, westboro tools think theyre doing good by scaring people straight, and church burners think theyre doing good by freeing the sheeple from religious oppression.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Real Prayer and Meditation are one and the same.

Atheism is freaking STUPID!!!

Why not be intelligent agnostics instead.

Richard Dawkings should adopt agnosticism also.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join