It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Athiests you should meditate and pray really

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Came across this and found it interesting i guess it is kind of the athiest delema, science that backs up religion.

source

Scientists have long found an association between relaxation and health. Now, there is new evidence that meditation and other spiritual practices have a beneficial and measurable effect on the brain. In a new book, “How God Changes Your Brain,” Andrew Newberg reports that meditation improves memory and reduces stress and that the kind of God you worship can affect the structure of your brain. Lucky Severson has the story.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I now accept jesus christ as my lord and savior.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Praying and meditating are two very different things.

Simply beause I may be an atheist, meaning I don't believe in a monotheistic god, does not mean I am not a spiritual human being.

It's not one or the other here, there are multiple faces of spirituality that don't include a supreme being.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I wasn't all that thrilled with the thread title when I first read it. Just another excuse to post something to poke at someone. But I read the link and did come across an interesting snippet:

If we believe in a loving God it can have a positive effect, even prolong our lives. But believing in a judgmental, authoritarian God can produce fear, anger, and stress, and that’s not healthy.

And

I’m not arguing that people need to change their beliefs per se. I mean if they feel that their perspective on God is right, I mean then that’s terrific. But I think that what we have to all be careful about is the anger and the hatred. That’s what has detrimental effects both on the individual as well as on society as a whole.

I like this, maybe because it fits in with what I already believe. From my perspective, believing in the "correct" interpretation provides a positive, healthy result. But pushing whatever we believe on someone else does neither the pusher nor the pushee much good.

Good link.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Absolutely. I agree prayer/ meditation should play a role in everyones life...i cant see anything negative coming out of a time you deignate for peace and quiet...especially as the world gets more hectic..

Wish I could practice what I preach...I love the idea of prayer and meditation...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Am I the only one amused by the fact that the mantra recommended by the article is chanting "Sa-ta-n"?

Content from external source:
VINCENT FEDOR (meditating and reciting mantra): Sa, ta, na, ma…

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Hey Athiests you should meditate and pray really

There are millions of atheists, especially buddists, that ALREADY meditate. Theists should try it also.

As far as adressing deities i dont get why i should ask them for stuff at all.. Why would i pray at different deities that i dont think will answer, cause i dont think they exist. I can wish for things, i can hope.. but prayer?

the kind of God you worship can affect the structure of your brain.

Hmmm, so thats why all the chrisitians are like they are.. they talk about god every day, filling their heads with it, from dawn to night.. no wonder you cant talk to them without them spewing godmaterial around everwhere.

And their god did gruesome, horrible things.. and then they brainwash themselves into thinking that he is allgood.. even though he did those awful things.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
IF you are an athiest and already meditate fine, good for you. Why so angry? No christians have come in here saing anyone is horrible or anything like that.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The counter point is the most interesting. If your God is mean, religion is bad for you, e.g. Yahweh, Jesus, Allah...

We should all become Buddists and we will live longer and be much nicer to each other.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Well if something is good or bad is subjective. Athiests can call god horrible and mean but christians think that god is well... God. Now if you were to ask Siddhārtha Gautama's wife and child that he walked out on if they thought the buddah was a great guy that could be trusted they would probably tell you no.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by finemanm

Well if something is good or bad is subjective. Athiests can call god horrible and mean but christians think that god is well... God. Now if you were to ask Siddhārtha Gautama's wife and child that he walked out on if they thought the buddah was a great guy that could be trusted they would probably tell you no.

Every being in existence knows the difference between good and bad, right and wrong, positive and negative. And it has NEVER been subjective...EVER. I will argue this point forever. It doesn't matter how you were raised, what experiences you've had or how screwed up your life has been - everyone knows the difference between good and bad, and there is NO way to preach in contest of it because it is ingrained in us.

How hard is it to do unto others the way you'd have done to you? Very...but it's well worth it.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

Every being in existence knows the difference between good and bad, right and wrong, positive and negative.

If that was true we would probably not have war and crime. Do you really think that in a war that one side thinks they are the bad guy? Even the Nazis thought they were doing a good thing throught their camps. Right and wrong is very subjective and depends on the observer. An exterminator is a good guy for the home owner but the Ants do not share the same feelings.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

I can actually argue this point with you friend.

I lab studies of serial killers, they set them up on monitors to see what kind of brain waves were being projected.

They said words like cat, dog, tool, plane, and the brainwaves were normal, then they said things like murder, rape, insanity, and the brainwaves remained the same.

They did the test with normal folk, who upon hearing murder, and rape, the brainwaves went irradic, changing constantly in a mess.

This proves that some people think eating and killing are the same thing, and therefore do not know the difference between right and wrong.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by lagnar

Every being in existence knows the difference between good and bad, right and wrong, positive and negative.

If that was true we would probably not have war and crime. Do you really think that in a war that one side thinks they are the bad guy? Even the Nazis thought they were doing a good thing throught their camps. Right and wrong is very subjective and depends on the observer. An exterminator is a good guy for the home owner but the Ants do not share the same feelings.

Simply because wars and suffering exist, doesn't mean people don't DO wrong even though they know it is on some level (even if being purposefully masked or hidden by consciously ignoring it). My point is not in the action, it is in the knowing. Just because something in the back of our mind tells us we're doing wrong certainly doesn't stop us. What stops us is knowing the consequences of doing bad (karma, hell, personal well-being and balance, etc.). We live in a constant state of 'is', and our only purpose is to 'be'. People can certainly also be desensitized to the wrong over time, and I guarantee you that the first person the first nazi killed meant alot to that nazi...for a time. Nazi's were steered, programmed and convinced they were courageous and righteous by someone who knew he was doing wrong, but felt he must because he was "wronged" in some way by a jew and thus became prejudice against the whole.

When a cop kills someone, even in the most obviously self preserving way, he still goes though a time of severe adjustment for taking a life. Why? Because something in him felt the wrong in killing...even though justified to the righteous.

If everyone realized the feelings they had inside, instead of hiding them for some advantage to come to them, we wouldn't kill ants - no matter how afraid, irritated, or aggravated because of them we are led to believe we are.

Just because the value system you were indoctrinated with neglects wrong in order to gain little, does mean we started out that way. When we are born we know of two wrongs (some say three, and I'm inclined to agree) - falling is wrong and loud noises are wrong...everything else is good, until we have consciousness and sentience enough to realize other's emotions.

I can actually argue this point with you friend. I lab studies of serial killers, they set them up on monitors to see what kind of brain waves were being projected. They said words like cat, dog, tool, plane, and the brainwaves were normal, then they said things like murder, rape, insanity, and the brainwaves remained the same. They did the test with normal folk, who upon hearing murder, and rape, the brainwaves went irradic, changing constantly in a mess. This proves that some people think eating and killing are the same thing, and therefore do not know the difference between right and wrong. ~Keeper

I would have to agree that people can be conditioned to a point of ill-remorse, but wouldn't you think that they were a product of some "wrong"-doing at some point in their life? In other words, are we to believe these people were born that way? If they were raised by a loving compassionate parent or two, don't you think they would have turned out different?

No one wants to believe that they know the difference between right and wrong by default, because it would mean the introduction of guilt and remorse, when it's much easier to just ignore it or wait until Sunday to ask forgiveness for it...and it be given to them. Wow...clean slate? Really?

Just because a person has a penchant or reason for doing negative, doesn't mean they have never known the positive.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

Every being in existence knows the difference between good and bad, right and wrong, positive and negative. And it has NEVER been subjective...EVER.

Good and evil have always been subjective, you are confusing good and evil with societies expectations of us. Didnt people in the past get stoned to death for adultary, people didnt seem to have any moral dillema there. Why?
Because it was exceptable by societies standards.

Think about this scenario, Your child gets murdered, you know who did it but due to lack of evidence the police will do nothing and you know the murderer will strike again.
It seems according to your outlook that murder is wrong, bad, evil etc in any and all circumstances.
But what if you took the law into your own hands and murdered the man who killed your child, then felt no remorse, felt good. Would that make you evil? some would say yes, some no, all based on their subjective opinions.
Killing is considered evil but surely killing this monster would be an act of good, and saying that, you killing this child killer might be considered evil by the killers family.
And you might even go back to the start and say that the child killer does not know what he is doing is evil, just that it is viewed as evil by society, his brain may think something else entirely.
No good or evil just subjective opinions.

I know, off topic but meh, to the OP, there are many atheists who practice meditation, perhaps christians should try it also.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Just started meditating about a week ago
But I think Christians could use the same advice.
Why direct it at atheists?

Originally posted by lagnar
How hard is it to do unto others the way you'd have done to you? Very...but it's well worth it.

That's a very egotistical view - to believe that others want the same treatment as you.
Masochists would beat and humiliate others if they treated others as THEY want to be treated, for example.
Not everyone is the same, and not everyone wants to be treated the same.
Instead, we should simply respect each other's views.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

I think the whole "treat others as you want to be treated" thing is about respect.

But thats just what I had been taught it means.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I think the whole "treat others as you want to be treated" thing is about respect.

But thats just what I had been taught it means.

If that's what you're taught it means, then great.
But that's not what the words say.
Just seems a bit egotistical to me.
A Christian may say to himself/herself "If I was a 'lost sheep', I would want to be saved" and proceed to push their views on others.
I've seen the "Golden Rule" used in this way.

I can't imagine the sort of shenanigans that would take place if a Jew, an atheist, a nun, and a sumo wrestler were in a bar and all decided to treat the other as THEY want to be treated.
Would make for a good comedy if nothing else.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Doesn't that mean you are Pagan? You said a monotheistic God. In other words does that mean you believe God is the all? Because this is also a Pagan belief.

The reason I bring this up is that I think a lot of atheists are confused as to what it really means.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

I'm an agnostic but even I understand the positive effect that prayer can have. Our minds are powerful things, just look at the placebo effect, if we believe hard enough for or in something we bring it that much closer to reality. Really everyone regardless of faith should do some relaxing/meditation/prayer everyday. Don't have a god? Just do what the late George Carlin did, pray to Joe Pesci.

Business is the disease of the modern age, we're constantly multitasking, either that or basking in the mindless glow of our TVs getting a constant IV drip of either apathy or of paranoia. A little relaxation goes a long way...

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

<<   2 >>

join