It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

File share war..It's ignorant.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I will explain why i think file share and torrents of music should be left alone.
If you want disagree and explain why.
Ok ...

They say the music industry looses all this money from piracy.
But they air the music video and song on the radio!!!!!!!!!
In today's day and age...Digital radio ect...and Hd dvd recorder's for tv..

Do the expect people to not use the technology they sell us?

Look at the Hd dvd recorder's.
It record's a tv show or movie..then it burns it to a dvd...They then encoded it for upload on the internet...
WTF it wasn't illegal to record the dang movie was it?
IF SO..why are they allowed to sell illegal Equipment to do the work?

Say i record the entire season of American Idol.
Then burn it..Because i paid for my dvd recorder to go on tv. From walmart .....

I then encode it said dang i loved that show maybe someone else will too.
I upload it to a torrent site.
How am i breaking a law here?
It was aired on the new Digital Free television station on fox channel.
Like the old UHF signal just perfectly clear.
Why sell DVDR recorder's on your tv?
They want us to Record our favorite show's for free right?
That's not illegal they are not suing the makers of the DVDR recorder are they?Nope
So how did it instant become illegal to upload the DVDR to Torrent to share?
It seem's like a circle jerk to me folk's.

Same with song's..
There are a million and 1 way's to capture a song .
Radio.Music video. ect...Most right of there our record labels site .
i then encode it to mp3..all free software on the internet..
Make a torrent..WOW i made a new cd from song they played for free ...
How is what i did illegal enough to bankrupt me for life?

I think it's got out of control.

If it's Illegal to Burn mp3 to make a cd to play in the car or what ever...
Stop selling average people blank cd's.
Or Cd burner's without a license.

Cause you dang fool well no one would download a movie that's 2 gig's if they couldn't burn it and watch on there tv.
And you know no one would download music if they had to keep it stored on there pc's for lifetime..
with no way to store it on cd's ipod's ect..

They enable us to the technology they give us.
Then slap us upside the back of the head.
"Just because you have a gun does not mien you have to shoot it"
Bs i wanna know how good my gun can shoot folk's!!!!
and i didn't buy some piece of technology to have it sit and collect dust...i am going to use it as it was intended to be used.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I strongly agree with you.

Although very lame, I think the only way they can sell cd/dvd/ burners is due to the fact that it is not illegal to make copies of stuff you already own for backup purposes. It would be the uploading to the torrent site that makes it illegal.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Topsy_Cret
I strongly agree with you.

Although very lame, I think the only way they can sell cd/dvd/ burners is due to the fact that it is not illegal to make copies of stuff you already own for backup purposes. It would be the uploading to the torrent site that makes it illegal.

But how is lets say.
You watch a show on the tv use your dvd-r to record it.
Let's say american idol on fox on digital tv..its a free signal..
Then i upload it for other's.

How can one fathom to go from legal to copy the tv show..i didn't own it..they did sell me the equipment to do it with. and it's perfectly fine

Can ya see my point the second i uploaded a free tv show on UHF/VHF digital tv..i became a pirate YARRRRRR!!!!!

It make's no sense.
Same goes for digital music radio.
Clear as the cd itself.
same thing apply's to it allso.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The *IAA's are just a bunch of Draconian, octogenarian morons, whose business model failed when broadband kicked off.

They'd prefer to have people walk to the shops and pay ~$20 for a piece of plastic.

They seem to not account for iTunes, Amazon, etc who sell there music at minimum cost; that surely effects their distribution model, not torrents.

When TPB went down for 3 hours the other day, it shows how virile the technology has become as it's easy to store the trackers on a memory stick, for example, and upload them elsewhere in a heartbeat. The *IAA's don't seem to realise this, as they probably think TPB actually store the contents. The delineation between Google and TPB is a fine line (regarding just links), and it's only because Google is a corporate behemoth that the *IAA's won't touch them.

p.s. In the UK, they make it law and threats of £1000 if you don't pay your TV license for a signal they send for free. How bloody archaic is that. Needless to say i don't pay it

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Maybe it;s a good way to criminalise a huge portion of people... Maybe (just maybe) we are being lulled into a false sense of security here, what with spurious and seemingly random and outrageous not to mention comical) cases being brought against everyday people... But on the whole everyone knows the odds of actually getting caught are pretty darned slim.

Now just say all along they have been cataloguing all downloads, the cases to this point have been test cases to test the water, see how best to tackle this... The a single case sets a president at just the right time... The powers that be now have the key to march into your private property, take your computer, while they are there have a really good look around... Now your distracted because they have whaped you with a half million pound bill for having the Britinay Speres discography on your hard drive...

The population is now divided over an issue that really is of no importance, people who paid big money for music mutter in the street when they see you, people wont trust you, employers will know about you, travelling to other countries might be difficult, and of course it's a massive nail in the coffin for that pesky internet - that thing that is equilivent to letting the poor people learn to read,

And while your thinking about what the PTB are doing with their right hand, the left hand is doing, well whatever it is that you are supposed to be distracted from.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Great points.

Money is the issue. If sharing media were not so easily done, thanks to the internet, this would be a non issue. If media were not so expensive, imho, when comparing the utility to the price, the IAA's would not have to use scare tactics.

If the logic behind the music and movie sharing is correct, allowing someone to borrow a book, without charging him and remitting payment to the owner of the written media, is a crime as well.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for them to crack down on all the bar bands who cover others' songs without permission. Hell, they actually might make a few bucks from it even. Clearly, they should be sued for millions. Maybe billions. Taking it to an even stupider level, how about a bar that charges a cover to get in, then has ESPN on a bunch of flatscreens. I'm sure they all have 'express written consent' though lol. Seems just as stupid to me. Nice post, OP.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
rock on man star and flag for you (:
i think they should record atleast flac instead of mp3's
that way a true collector who likes quality can give money for something...quality

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dedalive

Funny factoid... If you sing 'happy birthday to you' in a public place (say for instance in a restaurant) or for any commercial venture (making musical birthday cards?) [exact wording - "at a place open to the public, or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social aquaintances is gathered"]

You technically have to pay AOL Time Warner royalties... Either that or you are infringing copyright laws

True fact - go look it up if you don't believe me!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Crazy! Didn't know that.. says they make around $2 mil a year on royalties from 'Happy Birthday' alone.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Legally, if you play any copyrighted song in a public venue, the person providing the media is supposed to pay royalties. Music played in a nightclub, a DJ at a wedding, radio stations, a bonfire, a jukebox in a bar or restaurant etc. is supposed to generate royalties on a per play basis.

When monitors are placed on a person who is charged for every time they sing or hum, I will not be surprised/

new topics

top topics

join