It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA memo details procedures for breaking detainees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

CIA memo details procedures for breaking detainees

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sleep deprivation, "insult slaps," water dousing and "walling," or slamming a detainee's head against a wall, were techniques used by CIA interrogators to break high-value detainees, according to an agency memo.

The memo, sent to the U.S. Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel on December 30, 2004, was released on Monday under a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by Amnesty International USA and the American Civil Liberties Union.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday named a special prosecutor to probe Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) pris
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
On the surface, these interrogation methods seem harsh and cruel but not torture in it's classical sense. But where will this investigation lead? I would be surprised if this investigation didn't open up a Pandora's box of actual torture and detainees actually being tortured to death.

Chaney has stated that these interrogations prevented attacks. The neocons record with the truth leaves some doubt in my mind if this is actually true and not just wishful thinking.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yep, this is one case in which there really is a slippery slope.

Until everyone over 50 today dies off, this will continue.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
lol, what a joke

type iraq torture in google and click on images

tell me if any of those guys look like they went through what is being described here.

it's propoganda, half-truths

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

As the truth that will eventually be told about the American involvement
in torture in the WOT; many will question the "Under God" statement in the Pledge of Allegiance as some of the torturous acts seem more Satanic, not really designed to extract information but instead supply sadistic sexual pleasure to the interrogators.
www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Interesting...

Meanwhile corrupt state and local police officers get away with these same type "procedures" on a daily basis, and they have tazers too!

No one is even considering any special investigation/prosecutions for them, well except the ones caught in public and on video, all others are just fine with the PTB.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
lol, what a joke

type iraq torture in google and click on images

tell me if any of those guys look like they went through what is being described here.

it's propoganda, half-truths

Hey!! Hold on... Investigative and intelligence agencies routinely use methods of extracting information, that if revealed would make an average human being sick! There is NO propaganda here. If anything, complete facts are not being reported.

Take a look at this

CIA agents threatened to kill terror suspect's kids and rape their moms in front of them

The US government is now conducting an investigation after they tried to hush it up, but aclu.org revealed it. According to the report Washington is sickened and disgusted.

Half lies? Propaganda? I do NOT think so.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
That's a tried and true method that the CIA has used since its formation in 1947.
I was subjected to it myself during the years of1953-1954

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by whaaa

Until everyone over 50 today dies off, this will continue.

I disagree. There are many people over 50 today who strongly object to torture, and I know quite a few. Just because seniors are somewhat more likely to be Republicans doesn't make all of us monsters. I am surprised at you. You're not usually so extreme in your judgments.

What older people do remember, though, are World War II, Korea, and Vietnam as well as 9/11 and Iraq and Afghanistan.

Throughout the 20th century there have been many, many Americans tortured by foreign governments who used techniques that would make Guantanamo look like kindergarten. Many of them never made it back. There are still a lot of countries that don't blink at torturing now.

That doesn't make it ok for America to do the same. As Gandhi said, "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

But that doesn't change the fact that war is horrible at its best, and people do unconscionable things in wartime. Nothing can make it pretty or clean. America has its hands dirty as do all combatants in a war.

It has been established that Cheney & Co. crossed the line on the matter of torture and there should be repercussions.

But rightly or wrongly some people believe you have to fight fire with fire, and they have wartime experiences to back up that belief.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Sorry to say...but legally it is torture. Whether authorized or not doesn't make it legal, unless the laws change.

I mapped out the laws in this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join