It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another voice of reason, hopefully

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hi, everybody!
I stumbled upon this place many years ago on my journey for "the truth" about ufos and other "fringe", "lunatic" topics. ("What is truth?" Pontius Pilatus) Never bothered to register till fairly recently and I have been lurking for the past few months on a daily basis.

While I enjoy all kinds of conspiracy theories and I generally try to be as open minded as possible, I also like to think of myself as a man of reason. So, while I can try and and be as open minded as I can about certain theories and I can entertain the idea that theoretically there could be some or absolute truth in them, when it comes down to the crucial part of coming to a final personal conclusion about them, they will have be well grounded in reason, logic, rationality and good old science to convince me.

To give you an example, and because I happen to be a huge fan, the "Paul died and was replaced" conspiracy theory, while certainly possible, in the sense of: "Could it have happened theoretically?" - "Yes!", I find it to be lacking when examined under scrutiny and in the sense of "Is it probable it happened that way?" - "No!" Same goes for "Elvis/Michel Jackson/[insert your favorite dead artist or hero here] is alive" theories.

So, finally, that's my aspiration: to be another voice of reason especially in threads that interest me and where arguments are presented that I deem not be grounded in reason, logic, rationality, science and plain old common sense. I hope to live up to that aspiration, although I also recognize that I'm also human and as a human I may also have my own pet peeve irrational theories and may therefor fail to achieve my aspired goal. If such should ever come to be true, I would welcome a fellow voice of reason pointing out the fallacy of my reasoning to me, so that I may learn from it and mend my ways.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Welcome Walter.

I hope you enjoy it here.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
aha! another fan of reason!

Welcome to the club, there are many well informed people here and there are many who rely on their imaginations a little to heavily. Word of caution, don't let yourself get too wrapped up in how others present their material, but keep your eyes on the material itself. It can be a pretty nasty place here sometimes.

cheers

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Thanks, both of you.
Yeah, I am a scientist. I have studied long years and I have a diploma to prove it. But that is besides the point. I find that reason, logic and common sense are badly needed in this world.

new topics

top topics

join