It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Protesters To Swoop Secret Location

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
This should be interesting to see how the UK police deal with this one, many eyes will be on their tactics after the G20 fiasco.

Thousands of green activists are preparing to pounce on a secret location today to begin a week-long climate camp.

As many as 3,000 people are expected to join the campaign against Government policy.

They plan to strike on a grassy location somewhere within the M25 this afternoon.

But first they have planned to gather in six smaller groups to protest at key locations from lunchtime.

Source: Climate Protesters To Swoop Secret Location

Below is a great video from the Climate Camp, and i can't say i blame them for making it. Whilst there are good police involved in these events, there are a lot that go way over the top and turn it into something it didn't start off being.

I like the way the video comes across very professional in the way they have addressed all avenues of concern with neighbours and councils. It leaves you with the knowledge that there really is no need for the police there. They would just be a spare part if they attended.

I fear though that as soon as the location is revealed, which i believe will be very shortly, the police will swoop on it. Earlier on Sky News it was reported that whilst tactics like kettling were going to be under close scrutiny, the police said that they could not rule it out altogether.

Only time can tell.

As long as the Climate Camp don't do anything stupid to give the police an excuse.

CX.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
This brings to mind a bit of a thought that I have regarding protesters, and why getting involved in that kind of thing is not really a good thing...

Basically, what you fight against, you make stronger. The better thing these 3000 people should do, instead of wasting their time and energy in protest, is to put their time, energy, finances, etc into creating something new, that does not do what they protest against.

Isn't that a better way of doing things?

Don't like the nuclear power plant going up in your town? Instead of protesting it and wasting the time, energy and resources on that, take that manpower, that energy and that drive and create a new way of providing power that does NOT use nuclear technology that you hate so much

Just my viewpoint. I just think that protesting feeds right into what the powers that control these different "bad" things are doing. You're wasting your time just crying about it. That's not really "fighting against it". You are wasting your time, and they know it. They like that. It means you're not creating something that will compete against them.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I wonder what the ecological impact is going to be to the area that has upwards of 3000 people camping in it.

Woodstock was all about a similar minded culture, have a look of how that turned out.

CX

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Lol i just saw this on Sky...

Severe delays have hit part of Britain's busiest motorway after a hotel gas leak forced closures near Heathrow Airport.

The M25 was shut between junctions 12 and 14, the Highways Agency's website said.

The fire brigade ordered the road to be closed in both directions from just after midday following a gas leak at a hotel in Egham, Surrey.

Slip roads onto the motorway have also been shut.

Traffic travelling clockwise was being diverted down the M3 at junction 12.

Source: Severe Delays As Hotel Gas Leak Shuts M25

Call me a bluff old conspiracy theorist, but one could think they have shut the very place the Climate Portesters are supposed to be congregating, so there are no witnesses to the police action.

A Highways Agency spokesman said: "We managed to get diversion signs up quickly so that helped minimise the disruption.

"We're hoping that the road will be open again in time for the evening rush-hour."

That should be enough time to totaly balls up the plans of the Climate Camp eh?

Just a thought.

Seriously though, i like the idea of letting the Climate Camp have their way and seeing how it goes with no police presence.

If it runs smoothly and there is no laws broken or damage done, then they've proved themselves worthy of not needing a police presence.

If however it all kicks off and they try some stupid stunt that causes either damage or risk to anyone, then they will prove that they DO need babysitting, and they can't moan in future when the police request at least some officers there.

CX.

CX

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Update.....the secrets out....it's Greenwich Common.

Climate change demonstrators are making their way to Greenwich Park in southeast London after the 'secret' location of their protest camp was revealed.

Up to 3,000 protesters had gathered at different meeting points across the capital before their final destination was announced by text message and on Twitter.

The group will pitch their tents in the park and intend to remain there for a week.

Scotland Yard had pleaded with organisers to tell them the location of their climate camp so they could minimise disruption and plan how to police it.

Source: Climate Protesters Swoop On 'Secret' Target

You gotta love Twitter, can't keep anything quiet for 2 seconds with that about.

CX.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Of all the political and economic crap to protest, "climate" protesters choose Global Warming.

Idiots. It actually pisses me off. Their anger could be directed at .. I dunno .. something nonfictional?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

"Wasting your time", "Wasting your time", "Wasting your time" & "Wasting your time". Yes, 4 times that phrase occured in your post. Are you attempting to conjoin the ideas "protest" & "wasting your time" in peoples minds, or are you just wasting your own time?
IE since almost all of the people involved in environmental protest do not have the means, severally or jointly, to even begin a feasability study concerning potential future power generation, if they have a problem with some particular project, what else are they to do? Protest gets news reportage. Quietly abstaining from using plastic carrier bags does not.
In the world of atoms, where bits of peoples opinions actually bite, protest is the only means by which an ordinary person can be certain that their views will get noticed.
Ah, dont bother. You dont want military radar cooking birds in mid flight? Simple. Just set up an alternative UN & ban international competition! What are you waiting for? I've just told you you're wasting your time doing anything else!
Grow up or shut up please

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
A large group of the have just "turned up" at Barclays - Canary Wharf.

Here's the twitter if you want to keep in the know.
twitter.com...

I also have it on good authority, that there will be a party at the other location tonight. They have a big marque set up with bands and stuff playing. Pop along, bring sarnies and support!

new topics

top topics

join