It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proper Identification of Unidentified Flying Objects

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The PURPOSE of this thread is to help fellow members approach the subject in a more scientific and skeptical standpoint BEFORE jumping to rash conclusions.

FOIA: Aids to Identification of Flying Objects

For anybody interested in the field of ‘ufology’ and SERIOUS about correctly IDENTIFYING unidentified flying objects the above document is an extraordinary report concerning the USAF’s identification information towards unknown flying objects.

I strongly believe that it would be a MAJOR benefit for the ATS community if the majority of members were properly informed of real atmospheric, meteorological, physiological, psychological phenomena that do occur in regards to this subject.

For those of you that are substantially informed on the classification and identification of such unidentified objects this may or may not be ‘known’ information. However, for members not fully aware of ALL aspects of classifying such phenomena I strongly recommend reading or browsing over this document.

Not only will this help rid the community of frustration towards seemingly ignorant posts regarding supposed UFO sightings ASSUMED to be from extraterrestrial intelligence, but also towards collective collaboration towards SCIENTIFIC research of the phenomena.

BRIEF SUMMARY OF DOCUMENT

Provides scientific insight towards different phenomena associated with the identification of unidentified flying objects in the fields of:
1. Characteristics of Flying Objects
2. Meteorological and Atmospheric Aspects
3. Radar Sightings
4. Physiological Aspects
5. Psychological Aspects
6. Visual Perceptions

OTHER USEFUL SOURCES
Just Look Up, by Phage
Astrological insight towards the UFO Phenomena
The Oldfield UFO Film - Evidence that some UFOs are mirages, by Arbitrageur
Mirages as an explanation of some UFO phenomena
Five Things You Should Keep In Mind Before Posting in the UFO Forum, by jkrog08
Posting UFO threads and research with a skeptical and informed approach
NASA J-Track 3-D
Live tracking of over 900 publicly ‘known’ satellites from NASA
Identification Studies of UFO’s
Wikipedia report on scientific explanations arising towards the identification of UFO’s
UFO Skeptic
Informative site on the UFO phenomenon by and for professional scientists

While I understand there are mountains of useful information across the web to help one PROPERLY identify an unknown object, the above links are a FEW of the resources available that I have found helpful throughout MY studies.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by tmayhew01]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tmayhew01

GREAT post.........I can't believe this has not got more attention. Here are some other helpful links of threads created by various members of ATS:

• CGI: discussion with Philipe Kling David by internos
  • Request help identifying all govt. & civilian saucer-related projects! by Xtraeme
  • CGI|Some of the best ones by internos
  • Seen a swift moving light in the sky? * Read this First* by C.H.U.D.
  • A Skeptics Tools: Validating and Confirming UFO's by TheMythLives
  • Current U.S. UFO Hotspot Map and Sighting Checklist by jkrog08

Great post, keep up the excellent contributions.

• posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:09 PM
    link   
    So ummm is there anything in that document on how to spot electromagnetic and or anti gravity propulsion drives?

Does it list the characteristics to look for when spotting...

A) Alien spacecraft
    B) Black Ops aircraft with unusual characteristics?
    C) Basics of Plasma (or other) energy naturally existing creatures?

Or is this a one sided look?

Your title says "Identify UFO's" yet all those links just identify things that are explainable, and while that eliminates the obvious ones, it leaves the unexplained ones.... UNIDENTIFIED Flying Objects

[edit on 30-8-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:13 PM
    link   
    reply to post by zorgon

No, its simply a way to help identify unidentified flying objects that one may see in the sky, as to contribute to the quality of content on these forums

The actual document is not how to identify "alien spaceships" it is a method to rationally explain the phenomenon. This is something the military uses to classify the phenomena, with various explainations of what could be the specific cause for each occurrence.

Again, a way to contribute to more quality UFO content so we can focus on the genuine reports.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by tmayhew01]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:15 PM
    link   
    reply to post by jkrog08

and thank you, unfortionately its not quite as exciting as speculating whether an object is of ET origin or not, thus.... little contribution
    lol

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:29 PM
    link   

Originally posted by tmayhew01 thus.... little contribution
    lol

You get used to it...
    If there is nothing to debunk... there is no 'feud' and thus dies a good thread.

But perhaps it's time I make my "How to ID Critters and Hi Tech Craft" booklet.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:54 PM
    link   
    What is a UFO?

www.konsulting.com...

Why are ATS FOIA's so dang fuzzy?

Aids to Identification of Flying Objects
    www.nicap.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:55 PM
    link   
    This is the perfect thread to report what i saw today. I have been reading threads on ATS for atleast half a year, and just today finally decided I have something to contribute..or rather something you could help me with.

I understand fully as to how you all discredit people that lack video/image of their claims...and although I do have no evidence of what I saw..I clearly would not sign up to type this if it was not legit..

so let me 1st explain what I saw

I was in an 11th floor apartment when something caught my eye in the clouds. It was a very straight verticle line directly through a cloud. ( it was overcast with a massive volume of small dark clouds)

so i stopped what I was doing and watched...and what I saw, I could not come up with an explanation. To be completely honest, as soon as I saw it, I knew I was joining ATS tonight.

I saw what seemed to be an aircraft (all though it was some distance away and i couldnt see shape or any defining attributes.)

But It most definately was a form of an aircraft as it was leaving a contrail behind it......and it would shoot straight up, stop for a few seconds...and then drop...repeatedly

The strangest part of all this was when it was ascending it was moving at precisely the same speed it was when it was descending.

I watched it do this for approx 5 minutes, and then it just vanished, mid flight leaving the trail to dissipate.

So I continued to do what I was doing. Glancing over every few minutes, about 10 minutes later, low and behold it was back in the exact same spot, doing the exact same thing..however after watching it a few moments, it would sometimes not leave a contrail..which was weird to me.

Now that I think about it, I remember it doing a m shape as well...well more like a snake like ~~(but connected)

the contrail would only remain for 30 seconds at most

and sometimes after the 2nd time it appeared it would weave through a super dark cloud ill try to make an image with keys lol

^ ^ ^
    ( )
    v v v -cloud lolol

^ ^ ^
    ( - - - )
    v v v
    and it left a dash pattern though the dark cloud as if it was either weaving through it, or the trail would (for lack of a better term atm) sputter or like a dieing car *put put put* kinda thing...hard to explain but i think i got it lol

also on a side note, I took extra care to look for planes flying in the sky, in that time frame (probably 30-50 minutes total) i saw absolutely ZERO planes anywhere

but afterwards i looked(2-3 hours later)...the sky was still littered with 1000's of little black clouds...and i noticed that any planes i saw did NOT emit any contrails....which also made me go

if anyone could try to help me figure out what this thing is it would be greatly appreciated..

I was in a city near Hamilton Ontario, Canada. and this happened between approx 14:00-15:00

thx again, Smitts

[edit on 30-8-2009 by smitts_lgp]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:14 PM
    link   

Originally posted by smitts_lgp
    I saw what seemed to be an aircraft (all though it was some distance away and i couldnt see shape or any defining attributes.)

But It most definately was a form of an aircraft as it was leaving a contrail behind it......and it would shoot straight up, stop for a few seconds...and then drop...repeatedly

The strangest part of all this was when it was ascending it was moving at precisely the same speed it was when it was descending.

I watched it do this for approx 5 minutes, and then it just vanished, mid flight leaving the trail to dissipate.

I will try and help take a look at this with you... Based on your description I would lean towards some type of top secret military aircraft, if it is infact a manufactured flying craft.

Contrails are clouds formed when water vapor condenses and freezes around small particles (aerosols) that exist in aircraft exhaust.

SOURCE

Now most of the reports of ET hypothesis' for UFO reports, reference objects moving completely free of our atmosphere, gravity, etc.. And several reports I have heard from relevant UFO activists claim that alien based UFO's operate by anti-gravity devices.

Because of this I am lead to believe that if aliens are visiting us, they are of a much higher intelligence. And also that their planetary vehicles would be much more advanced and probably wouldn't leave chemicals in the atmosphere to create contrails.

Again, I would say of the bat that we are more likely looking at a military vehicle, and that is where I shall start...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:28 PM
    link   

Originally posted by tmayhew01
    I will try and help take a look at this with you... Based on your description I would lean towards some type of top secret military aircraft, if it is infact a manufactured flying craft.

Contrails are clouds formed when water vapor condenses and freezes around small particles (aerosols) that exist in aircraft exhaust.

SOURCE

Now most of the reports of ET hypothesis' for UFO reports, reference objects moving completely free of our atmosphere, gravity, etc.. And several reports I have heard from relevant UFO activists claim that alien based UFO's operate by anti-gravity devices.

Because of this I am lead to believe that if aliens are visiting us, they are of a much higher intelligence. And also that their planetary vehicles would be much more advanced and probably wouldn't leave chemicals in the atmosphere to create contrails.

Again, I would say of the bat that we are more likely looking at a military vehicle, and that is where I shall start...

I agree that they would indeed be much more intelligent than us, and as so have technology obviously surpassing ours...but at the same time WHY would a military vehicle be flying through a dark cloud, for little less than an hour?

one thought i had..allbeit quite unlikely was that the contrails them selves were being formed into clouds, as the clouds did spring up out of almost nowhere, and they were everywhere...like literally a blanket of clouds..

another thought i had was perhaps it wasnt contrails? perhaps it was a break in the cloud, and it would just look like a trail as it was a light line through a dark cloud?

btw, ty for helping me with this, very much appreciated

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:37 PM
    link   
    EDIT: Reply to your post ^

I feel the best way to approach the topic is rule out every logical explanation, before jumping to the ET conclusion. Now I understand I wasn't there and didn't see it, so I really don't know. However a logical approach is generally the best way to identify such phenomena.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off.... Invisibility Cloaking:

Invisibility cloaking has definatley been researched before by both independent and military organizations. One such case by cloaking metamaterials by scientists at Rice University has shown we do posses the technology to create such an effect.

'Invisibility Cloak' Directs Light Away From Eye

A new metamaterial created by Rice University scientists could hide objects from human sight.

By creating perfectly aligned dimples in a material, the scientists channeled specific wavelengths of light from many directions into one uniform direction.

The first "invisibility cloak," which hid objects from radio waves, was created in 2006 by scientists from Duke. Since then scientists have tried to create ever-smaller structures to manipulate the visible spectrum of light.

And references to the Philadelphia Experiment lead one to believe that the military has ACTIVELY been involved in researching an invisibility cloak. This was back in the 60's, no telling what technology they have now.

Because of this I would say its fairly safe to assume that such technology is being used throughout the world. This would explain how the "craft" was able to quickly "vanish" from sight.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:47 PM
    link   

First off.... Invisibility Cloaking:

Invisibility cloaking has definatley been researched before by both independent and military organizations. One such case by cloaking metamaterials by scientists at Rice University has shown we do posses the technology to create such an effect.

'Invisibility Cloak' Directs Light Away From Eye

A new metamaterial created by Rice University scientists could hide objects from human sight.

By creating perfectly aligned dimples in a material, the scientists channeled specific wavelengths of light from many directions into one uniform direction.

The first "invisibility cloak," which hid objects from radio waves, was created in 2006 by scientists from Duke. Since then scientists have tried to create ever-smaller structures to manipulate the visible spectrum of light.

And references to the Philadelphia Experiment lead one to believe that the military has ACTIVELY been involved in researching an invisibility cloak. This was back in the 60's, no telling what technology they have now.

Because of this I would say its fairly safe to assume that such technology is being used throughout the world. This would explain how the "craft" was able to quickly "vanish" from sight.

yeah im 100% sure we have the technology already to "cloak" so to speak...ive seen the videos about the cloth thats actually micro glass beads

and by no means am i am expert on the philladelphia experiment, but i have read of it (obv on ATS
    )

my biggest wonder, is there any beneficial reasoning to be flying through a dark cloud?

also ive never heard of(although ive never looked) a secret(or non) military base in my general surroundings, I live somewhat close to the border of Canada/US...

and i said this before but i also wondered if there is any evidence of aircraft turning on/off the contrails?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:53 PM
    link   
    im going to bed do what you do and ill check this in the AM before work

thx again

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:06 AM
    link   
    reply to post by smitts_lgp

Fairly contridictory to my previous statement, "debunk logical explanations first"
    but here is a thread of unidentified flying objects from a space shuttle mission that were reported leaving earth, near a thunderstorm (i.e. black coulds?). Might be a helpful source

NEW STS-48 Video - UFOs All Over!

I remember reading recently about a massive fleet of UFO's being reported in, or around a thunderstorm; with some people claiming that they were of an intelligent origin and were there to study the storm. I'll see if I can dig that up... If anybody else knows what I'm talking about feel free to chime in.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:44 AM
    link   

I remember reading recently about a massive fleet of UFO's being reported in, or around a thunderstorm; with some people claiming that they were of an intelligent origin and were there to study the storm.

Critters swarming to feed
    but this isn't a 'Critter' thread

But you want to see one being born, look up the Google video version of Tallahasse UFO

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:21 PM
    link   
    ok i learnt today that there was possibly an airshow happening ina city approx 30-45 minute drive away(Waterloo, Ontario)....is it possible i could see it from that far? and is it likely there was only ONE...i would have noticed if there were multiple aircraft

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:59 PM
    link   
    reply to post by smitts_lgp

Well then if you saw a contrail stop and start... then it was most likely a 'chemtrail' made of some smoke
    They do that at Air Shows

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:15 PM
    link   
    reply to post by zorgon

yeah thats what i figured, but i still am unconvinced as im sure there would be more than one aircraft, and would i be able to see an airshow from a different city?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:54 PM
    link   
    reply to post by tmayhew01

This is something the military uses to classify the phenomena, with various explainations of what could be the specific cause for each occurrence.

I was under the impression, by their own words in fact, that the Military no longer investigate the UFO Phenomenon? and haven't for a long time, just a bit weird to think they would need to classify something they don't investigate in order to rule something they don't investigate as being what?
    Does that make any sense?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:25 PM
    link   
    reply to post by azzllin

Ya, never "Officially." However, there have definitely been conflicting views with several credible government officials coming forward claiming that the US government has been involved in ultra secret programs studying the UFO phenomena.

Ever heard of the following?

Project Sign (1947-1949)
    Project Grudge (1949-1952)
    Project Blue Book (1952-1969)

or Project Blue Fly or Project Moondust? Now if you watch the following interview with Phillip Corso, he has obtained the largest collection of declassified military documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. Most of which were top-secret documents regarding such "unofficial" military studies into the phenomena.

To learn more about blue fly or moondust I recommend watching the entire series, as he physically possesses the documents from the government to back up what he is saying, and shows them throughout the video...

History Denied: UFO Secrets Of The US Government with Phillip Corso

Do the research and you may feel the same... Personally, after everything that I have read about the government and their interest in the subject I have been lead to believe they are currently involved in UFO studies. And 'possibly' extraterrestrial studies and reverse engineering.

I mean it just makes sense! Especially if other governments are taking such an interest in UFOs as recently seen around the world... England, Brazil and France all declassifying their studies on the UFO phenomena and the big all-mighty US is just sitting idly by as other countries gain the upper hand. It just doesn't click for me...

Here is one example:

French studies include GEPAN/SEPRA/GEIPAN (1977–), within the French space agency CNES, the longest ongoing government-sponsored investigation. About 14% of some 6000 cases studied remained unexplained. The official opinion of GEPAN/SEPRA/GEIPAN has been neutral or negative, but the three heads of the studies have gone on record in stating that UFOs were real physical flying machines beyond our knowledge or that the best explanation for the most inexplicable cases was an extraterrestrial one.

The French COMETA panel (1996–1999) was a private study undertaken mostly by aerospace scientists and engineers affiliated with CNES and high-level French Air Force military intelligence analysts, with ultimate distribution of their study intended for high government officials. The COMETA panel likewise concluded the best explanation for the inexplicable cases was the extraterrestrial hypothesis and went further in accusing the United States government of a massive cover-up.

Cometa Report, Part One
    Cometa Report, Part Two
    Cometa Report Summary

[edit on 31-8-2009 by tmayhew01]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join