It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Skoolie. Make Your Stand Mobile!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I have been reading many threads asking where it'll be safe for coming turmoil; for either social unrest, or Earth Changes. I think the short answer is NO ONE is really sure. I personally could point You in several directions, but am I right?....Don't trust anyone save, Your own intuition, or gut instinct. The rest of us telling You where to go, need a humility check.

With that being said I wanted to throw out a relatively cheap mobile alternative. Drum roll please, A Skoolie! It's an RV, or GEV(Global Expedition Vehicle) made from a retired school bus. You can read about skoolies here: www.skoolie.net...

I have studied them to great detail, and know many of the ends, and outs. You can have a completed ready to roll bug out rig, completely set up for Your family's extended stays, all for under 5,000 bucks. I first really I have a project skoolie in the works now. My project is going to run around 10k, but I am setting it up to compete with the GEV's; which start at 400K.

I can hear the naysayer now.... "You'll run out of gas!!!" Sure, at some point, but having all of needs met by a totally self enclosed bug out rig; which will safely haul You, and Your entire family safely out of harms way is truly valuable. Not to mention installing a larger fuel tank. When I'm done with my skoolie, it'll have a single fuel tank range of 1,500 miles. Now my bug out location from where I am at is less than 150 miles; so that leave me with 1,350 more miles should We need it.

Last note, I have traveled the World, and one of the hardiest rigs out there is an old school bus! Here are a couple pics from skoolie.net, and a Youtube video of a GEV.

Enjoy,

Notice they have a windmill. With building Your own skoolie You get a rugid truck chassis; which can be outfitted to Your particular needs. A combination of windmill, and solar panel will keep You, and Yours safe out in the survival stick; with modern convenience!

No power, No problem. Your skoolie can be outfitted with a wood stove. Just about anything that'll burn can be used!

Now, this chassis is good, but not 400K+ good. A skoolie will only run You between a couple grand, and 10k totally tricked out.

Let me know what ya'll think.

Wake Up, Stand Up,

Sancho

[edit on 26-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: I would like to suggest that compressed air powered engine or generator might be a usefull addition if fuel becomes scarce as the Skoolie Bus has heaps of roofspace just begging for solar water heating, PVC panels and compressed air tanks!
Also I saw an wind to water collecting invention on the Australian ABC's New Inventors that would be wicked all tricked up on the top front of the Bus! It was meant to be stationary and much larger but the same idea applies and it will still work at a standstill if facing into the wind and the wind is blowing a gale! If you were bugging out to a constantly sunny windy humid area then all your fuel[air] and water needs would be covered by just driving around!

Edited to add that compressed air powered engines run cold and hey presto thats all your refrigeration needs covered!

[edit on 26-8-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
EDITED: Totally redacted double posting!

:shk: [do emoticons count as a 2nd line?
]

[edit on 26-8-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

You´ve got it. The basic school bus setup, or skoolie allows You to adapt any kind of modular, or transportable configuration to it.

People keep wanting to know where to run, but maybe this place, or that place will end up not being safe. With a modest investment into one of these, You can always quickly change Your location.

I think they are fairly awesome.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Look for old RV's to scavenge some of your appliances from,an AC/DC/LP gas fridges can be made to run on these fuels and others if you are a bit creative,all you have to do is heat one spot on the condenser apparatus....think solar reflector,or even a modified zippo kinda thing.

people pay money to get rid of em too!,just cut it up and get rid of the mess,plus fishermen love to make trailers for boats out of the old RV chassis.

A 100' black water hose will give you hot water when it is sunny,even when it is kinda cold outside,like 32F out of a stiff wind.

Any of the appliances from an RV will probably be usable,even if it is in the process of collapsing,they are the last things to go usually,just clean em up......

Take a bicycle and a good trailer,so when the going gets tough,you can still get going.

Only rely on the bare minimums,you may have to leave the bus,so keep your gear packed and ready to bug out.

Buy some camo netting,so maybe it'll be there still after you freak and leave it.

Think ahead.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I have an easier and more cost efficient solution. The only fuel required for the operator is a case of Twinkies and some water.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Hi all,

Well I have given thought to a similar idea, but rather than using a school bus, I was thinking a Brinx style armored truck/van

www.cashmanservices.com...

Might be cramped, but good.

M.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

That is a nice truck, but I think I still would take my Hummer H# over it. The Hummer gets better gas Mileage, can go thru any thing, and cost a lot less.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I like the idea of skoolies. I have always wanted to camperfy a 4wd military ambulance.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
These are really neat.

Is there anyway to find out price range for a working, yet retired school bus?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

You know, that's not a bad idea. I kinda like it.

reply to post by Moshpet

I'd have to say, You'd be bullet proof... I don't think the gas mileage would be too good though.

reply to post by usmc0369

I saw a Aussie couple that had their H3 set up as a GEV, but again I am trying to look at entire family long term ability to be out in some degree of comfort.............the H3 mentioned above is on the net, and is really neat how they've got it set up.

reply to post by groingrinder

The military has several deuce and a half's that are in a box configuration. I think one is called the M-820.......... There's around 4 different configurations.... back in the ole' days I could've told You the names by heart. Any ways, I've thought about converting my Skoolie over to a 4x4; using the Rockwell gear out of a military 6x6.... It can be done!!!

reply to post by Henygirl

ALL OVER THE WEB. Craigslist is a good spot to find them locally all over the country. I guarantee just about every local craigslist has a couple listed.

They range from free, or under 600 bucks, to nice upper end one costing about 5K.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

reply to post by Moshpet

I'd have to say, You'd be bullet proof... I don't think the gas mileage would be too good though.

Well that was the idea

I figure I'd have to acquire one after TSHTF. It's my thought I'm better off bugging IN and waiting for the mass stupidity to come and go, than to try and outrun it. (EG Self Quarantine/Isolation.)

My main thought in choosing it was for survivability, not gas consumption; in that (according to my own doom thoughts) there won't be many people driving around to use up the gas in gas stations. Also that more than likely my biggest worries would be having to survive the odd pot shot by nutters, and maybe those that can only survive through stealing.

My other choices were a M113/M577 or a BFV but those tend to be more trouble than they are worth.

M.

new topics

top topics

join