It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher says America is a Stupid Country.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
everybody but americans, apparently. Must be one of those subjects they skipped in high school.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
With Bill Maher, I get a general sense of condescension toward his fellow Americans. Folks, he is no George Carlin or Bill Hicks. I have never been a real fan of his as long as he has been in the business. I think he is a towel boy for the left. That is just my opinion of the man. Now that my personal views are out there, back to the topic.

What Mr. Maher doesn't realize is that he is in the same boat as his so called "stupid Americans." If he doesn't like the paint chip eaters, Joe six packs, remote pushers, American Idol zombies, and the list goes on . . . Nothing is stopping him from moving abroad and airing his TV show. Please excuse the sarcasm, but it's in tune with Mr. Maher's assertions of America but in other words.

I wouldn't say Americans are stupid, but I would see they are hopelessly naive about the world they live in. They are in what many have refer to as a comfortable slumber. Where does he get his accreditation to make such claims about the intelligence of his fellow countrymen and women? I know for certain he doesn't have a Phd. in education or sociology from Harvard, Princeton, or Yale. What has he contributed to elevating the intelligence of Americans? Maybe a few snide remarks here or there but no real substantive initiatives to my knowledge. Remember folks, he is a comedian and that alone should take him out of any serious analysis of how things are in American. Basically, I think Mr. Maher and all the commentators both left and right need to stuff their condescension for their fellow man and women! They put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. There is no need for that right now because America is in dire straits at the moment and further division only makes the problem bigger in the long run.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Nobody needs to know that much geography, but it would have been help full back when the Olympics were being held in the United States that the people taking orders for tickets knew that New Mexico was part of the United States instead of telling callers from that state that they needed to contact their nations Olympic Committee.

Nobody needs in depth knowledge, but the basics do help.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Is this the same guy who refuses to accept any evidence that 9/11 was a false-flag?

He accepts the government stance on it and refuses to even discuss anything to the contrary, am I right?

And he calls the rest of the country stupid?

He's an arrogant freakin' media whore desperate for attention, and he'll make statements like that just to further his own career and make himself seem "superior".

No doubt, America is vastly dumber than other nations. That much is clear. But this guy is no Einstein either.

So he knows some clever words and can form adequate sentences. Put this man in a group of truly intelligent Brits and he'd be nothing more than comic relief.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Those'll do. The Saddam question is a little iffey...since there has been evidence both for and against his involvement at some points in the planning of 911, or rather elements of his govt.

But other than that bit of a quibble, I like 'em. I really am looking forward to it.

So is this one:

8. How many Senators do states have?

There are state senators and US Senators. He did not specify. Or maybe he is too stupid to know that?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Hah...

I didn't even notice that... The question should be more specific...

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
It is a fact that most americans are undereducated and ignorant by international standards. I had 2 foster children from saudi arabia, 1 was 4 years old and the other was 8 and both spoke 3 languages fluently. Most americans cant even speak english properly, and many think they speak "american". Further, the average person from brittain or germany knows the history of france, canada, US, etc, however most americans have no clue of brittish history, much less their own. Most europeans know who the president of america is, as well as the rulers of all their neighboring countries...however most americans have no clue who the prime minister of canada is, or of any european countries, the president of mexico, or even the leaders of china, iran, venezuela, russia, or any of our contemporary neighbors or foes.

This, to me, is highly indicative of the lack of education or interest of americans.

That's a load of crap first of all if the french mock Americans for speaking only one language while most all of them speak french and english, it is most likely because we kept them from having to speak German. The Average brit has his head just as far up there as any American a brick shy.

The man on the street method of proving a people are stupid is even MORE stupid for even considering taking it serious as it can be done on any people of any country of any philosophy and / or ideology.

Ya know what the new slang for stupid is?

MAHER!

So when somone says "Wow are those brits Maher".

It's probably because he saw something like this

60% don't believe in evolution? So what give him the idea that the percentage he is on is right ? Evolution is the most elastic theory ever invented and perhaps it is the 60% who just don't care about it that much because the only REAL benefit to it is to advance Maher's atheism.

Gee Billy, did it ever occur to you that as many religious people as the US has, that maybe that number is actually right about where it should be considering everything they taught about evolution just five years ago is now wrong. Hell they now say Brontosaurus didn't really exist. If the science used to test evolution, quit creating frauds and stopped fudging data to fit the theory, it might have a little more going for it.

Listen to the audience when he speaks.

Notice anything?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Yeah, stylez, thanks for the well thought out and educated response. You are obviously an american. Im sure you give thanks every day for the education you received. As i said, regardless of what you think of france, people in other country do get much better educations than we do, with us coming in 15th. While its not the worst by any means, its certainly not the best that most americans seem to believe.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
There are plenty of stupid people in this country...but saying America is the a stupid country includes us all.

Why not export Bill to say Guatamala or Mexico and see how smart they are?

This bluff is just another ignorant, pedantic fool who thinks he knows everything about politics because he has a show that has a round table and a few political idiots each week. I don't see this mans appeal and find it hard to believe he was even a comedian. The fact that people aren't boycotting this man is utterly ridiculous. This guy calls everyone an idiot (minus himself of course). Yet Beck gets thrown into the fire for mentioning "Why are there so many czars?" Not that I'm a fan of him either but at least he has the decency to not talk bad about his own country and actually show love for it.

I would gladly have 2 bill o'reilly's over 1 bill maher.

There are two types of people. Those who think for themselves and the sheeple. The sheeple listen to Bill Maher with an open ear instead of a closed door.

Thanks OP- I needed another ignorant t.v. host to hate even more.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
Yeah, stylez, thanks for the well thought out and educated response. You are obviously an american. Im sure you give thanks every day for the education you received. As i said, regardless of what you think of france, people in other country do get much better educations than we do, with us coming in 15th. While its not the worst by any means, its certainly not the best that most americans seem to believe.

The education I received was pathetic and a total waste of our tax dollars. I joined the Military under the G.I. Bill so that I could get my degree. I believe the Public Schools teach nothing but worthless garbage and I have no quarrel with you on that score, what I am addressing is the methods some use to illustrate a society is stupid such as the "man on the street" interview I gave as an example. Or you coming in making bare assertions without referances to where these statistics you give come from. I took the liberty to corroborate the 15th place, so , no need.

I just don't think you have checked this out that well is all. I know a LOT of pretty damn smart Americans and many of them are right here on these boards.

I have been to france twice and spent quite a bit of time there, I really wasn't all that impressed with them being so much smarter than Americans. The most intelligent people I met in europe were without a doubt were the Netherlands. Italy, Spain, France, portugal, switzerland, Yugoslavia, (split), I didn't see them as being any more on the ball then the average Joe Six Pack American Blue Collar guy that hangs sheet rock for a living.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by Stylez]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Hey, not saying that all americans are stupid. I am pretty smart, always a good test taker, and most of my friends are pretty educated crew, doctors, psychiatrists, etc. The sad thing is many of those even know little about politics or history, can tell you when the civil war was, or what the origin of the vietnam war was. As i said, however, the two kids i fostered for several years, just random palestinian children, spoke 3 fluent languages at the ages of 4 and 8....and they said this is pretty standard where they are from (saudi arabia). I know few americans that even speak 2. When speaking to my girlfriend about this (neurologist) she stated that when she was 18 she went to france, and was embarrassed because the teenagers there were debating politics, and she couldnt participate because of her ignorance. (and dont get me wrong, shes a smart girl)

We have fallen behind in scientific advancements, the latest quantum physics research comes from europe, the foremost "green" advancements are based in holland, and the foremost medicine is, and this is opinion, natural alternatives, which are brutally suppressed and oppressed in the US.

I think largely here we are so egocentric that we feel there is no value in any knowledge that is outside of our personal field of interest. Just as we see no value in knowing history, we (we meaning most americans, not all), see little value in learning other languages, other values, other cultures, etc. Naturally this is a generalization, but its, I THINK, a pretty accurate assessment.

I would also like to point out that an above poster tried to point out how good america's education is by comparing it to mexico....come on. A third world country? Please, what a high standard.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Just some interesting stuff and facts I dug up.
We can argue, call names and make excuses all we want, but the numbers dont lie.

USA scores the lowest in national average IQ among the developed countries of the world, at a national average score of 98.

American high school students scored 483 in the test Program for International Student Assessment. The average scores of American students were way below those of top scoring countries like South Korea, Japan, Switzerland, Germany, Ireland, etc. all of whom scored between 503 and 544 (significantly higher than US scores).
They scored worse than countries which spend much less in education.

The report also states that in US, mediocrity is encouraged by monopoly of public school and opportunity based scholarships, which is hurting the academic ability of Americans when compared to the rest of the world.

One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.

Now with all these statistics and research data it is up to you, the reader to decide if Americans really deserve the ’stupid’ tag. As with any nation, there are always exceptions which means not all Americans fit these statistics. But a majority of Americans do which creates the average data at a lower level than the other countries.

www.abytheliberal.com...
From 2004:

Overall, we can determine that Kerry (blue) states outperform the national average for intelligence by a ratio of 2 to 1, while Bush (red) states under perform it by the same ratio, 2 to 1. In other words, 2/3 of the Kerry states are of above the national intelligence average, while only 1/3 of the Bush states are. However, this does not paint the whole picture. Let's look at the average intelligence for each candidate's states:
www.heartheissues.com...

My suspicions: First of all, European countries are small, the US is big. Europeans have had to cope with many different neighbors, languages, and cultures for centuries. It’s easier for Americans to think that their nation is the whole world. Second, television. The average American watches more than four hours of TV a day, the average European about an hour less. Television sucks out your brain, especially the simplistic pap that passes for entertainment in the States. Third, Europeans walk more. Many of my friends, like myself, don’t even have cars. Driving around in a metal box and seeing the world through safety glass can lead one to think that it’s all just another TV program.
stupidevilbastard.com...

Funny how they always point to australia and say this is where
iran or north korea is! Look out my dear aussies! We're lost and pissed.
Americans want to bomb somebody and they all point to you! WOW.
videoholicsanonymous.blogspot.com...

I am 100% American and not proud of it. When I look around, I see fat, stupid, rude people who walk around doing whatever they feel like doing and not caring about the feelings of others. In stores like WalMart, you see people pushing other people out of their way and not moving themselves to let others by. These same people look you up and down as if something is wrong with you, then continue on to the cash register where they are rude to the cashier, then when their check is declined, they want to hold up the line to have a manager come over because they just know they have money and don't understand why their check didn't go through. It must have been because the cashier is an idiot.
www.danielpipes.org...

European countries in particular, have been engaging in trade, wars and pacts for several centuries, thus requiring some basic knowledge about each other. Most Europeans speak at least 2 or 3 languages, simply out of necessity. Until trade and expansion required it, the U.S. did not have any need to understand centuries of world history or geopolitics, and by then, with the fortuitous invention of atomic warfare, didn't have to
www.helium.com...
Of course there are articles promoting american "niceness", and "hardworking-ness", but this thread isnt about that....

Taking up the first of our definitions of stupidity, how ignorant are we? Ask the political scientists and you will be told that there is damning, hard evidence pointing incontrovertibly to the conclusion that millions are embarrassingly ill-informed and that they do not care that they are. There is enough evidence that one could almost conclude -- though admittedly this is a stretch -- that we are living in an Age of Ignorance
www.alternet.org...

There are many that won’t like the term “stupid” in the title but this American is beginning to believe it is far more appropriate than “ignorant”, particularly if one presumes ignorance is based on lack of information, disinformation, or misinformation that can be easily found and/or dispelled respectively.
www.libertyforall.net...
Touche'

[edit on 30-8-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Post by sassafras:

Its their nature. Ignorance, poor judgement, bad upbringings, failure of society, lack of moral fiber, blame it on any of them. So specifically Americans = generations of inflated egos meeting privilege, combined to make ignorant and naive people whose only fanatical purpose in life involves superficial rights, pop culture, Mcdonalds, and lawsuits. Yes, Im an American...and Yes, I still think theyre stupid.

Post by slothmister:

Americans are considered stupid for a number of reasons...

Redrum said:

Stupidity isn't quite the right word and not all Americans fit this definition (I know plenty of smart Americans), but I do think there are some stupid people out there, stupid in the sense of ignorance rather than lack of intelligence. Ignorance tends to breed ignorance and a lot of people never look beyond what they have been taught, which can lead them to be blind to the wider world. They are also accustomed to thinking that their opinions are Right and therefore they must be voiced as loudly as possible, because hey, that's Freedom of Speech. And the problem is, other ignorant people listen, and then you get these little blocks of ignorant people joining together, supporting each others opinions, all very loud and all blinded by their own ignorance and arrogance, and yes, it comes across as stupidity. It reminds me of sheep. I don't think that the majority of people in America are stupid, just that the intelligent ones don't speak up as much as the ignorant ones, and if they do, they tend to get drowned out by all those sheep out there.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
What the h*** am I doing on here?
Thats kind of -well you know-....
Why do I care even?
Oh ya, I know;
the stupid will get us all killed if we dont look out, thats why.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I would like to point out one more thing. I work with children, some days ages 5 to 12 but most ages 13 to 18. I feel shocked and appalled when working with the teenagers that many cant even read time on a regular clock. When asked what time it is i point them to the clock on the wall, and they reply "i cant read that, it's not digital"!! When asked what country lies on the southern border of the united states i often get answers like china, or brittain. When asked when the civil war was, 2 days ago, i was given answers like 1980.

I ask them what role models they have, and they give me answers like "lil wayne", or "Lil wheezy", and when i ask what values these people have that the children would like to have for themselves, they say things like "gold chains", or "rappin ability".....apparently "gold chains" are now virtues. Things like courage, wisdom, strength, compassion, and humanity never are mentioned.

And yes, when i ask why we are at war with iraq, the usual answer is cause they attacked us on 9/11. Many of them cannot write, spell correctly, or read well. And most of them fail to see the value in knowing any of the things i have listed above. I often show movies at work, and if there are no explosions or scantily clad women within the first 4 minutes the kids are unable to generate interest. None can wait for or enjoy a movie where a plot needs to develop.

None can name our vice president, or our secretary of state, and few can name our governor or mayor.

This is the face of our public education system in america, and these are the future leaders of america.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
aint canadda a state somewheres up north?
i cant find where the pacific ocean is on a map.
iraq is somewhere with lots of sand and camels probably around india or africa.
watch jaywalking and read the polls and realize just how dumb the masses are.too bad they didnt all attend exeter and cornell.

america is just another 3rd world banana republic in the americas but just doesnt know it yet.
3rd world educations,violence,crime,cities,corruption,and now genetics and economy and currency.

when america collapses there will be millions of movies made-la riots meets dawn of the dead-new orleans meets mad max.

we need something to watch as tv isnt good for anything else.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

LOL! They can't tell time if its not digital! OMG!
Thanks for the laugh!
Got me through the rest of your sad post.
I can click and paste this stuff all night long,
but there is nothing like real world experience to back it up!
You bring up a good point;
not only are they are next leaders, they are our future voters!
OMG
Its only a matter of time before we do ourselves in, right?
Because of you-know-what?

I think this is where I'm supposed to say;
be sure and stock up on food and ammo?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom

LOL! They can't tell time if its not digital! OMG!
Thanks for the laugh!
Got me through the rest of your sad post.
I can click and paste this stuff all night long,
but there is nothing like real world experience to back it up!
You bring up a good point;
not only are they are next leaders, they are our future voters!
OMG
Its only a matter of time before we do ourselves in, right?
Because of you-know-what?

I think this is where I'm supposed to say;
be sure and stock up on food and ammo?

Sounds kinda like a digg to conservative values but hey its the liberal atheists that control science so whatever it is there teaching I hope they can find something a little more concrete, that quote about the walmart

Totally ridiculous, I mean you read that ajnd it looks like someone was just talking after having a bad day but I have never experienced that at a walmart ever. The digital clock comment, I have heard said about every race, and people so its an old one.

Europeans are way more likely to speak our language than we are to speak theirs, and to know and care a lot more about our business than we do about theirs. Why? Probably because we’re greedy, smug, and self-centered. But in our defense let me point out that we live in a big, big country. Travel 500 miles in Europe and you might go through several languages and national histories. (And only ten years ago you would have needed several currencies.) If I travel 500 miles, I'm in Pennsylvania. Or Nebraska. Same language, same money, same media, same bad food. As a nation we're just a little unclear on the concept of foreign countries.
www.straightdope.com...

So much of the reason europeans know two languages is because they have to if they travel a distance and we already know english is spoken almost everywhere so we get lazy marks for that. The liberals and their affirmative action extols mediocrty while it punishes achievment. This seems to be the entire agenda for the obama administrations socialism

Believe it or not, I still can't get broadband where I live unless it is satellite which is approx $80 a month so its cost prohibitive. Its not like I live out in the middle of nowhere either. This country took 200 Billion of our money to build the infrastructire and they got the money and we got the shaft.

Yeah I think Americans are very smart, if the Government was smart enough to give us the right tools and right curricula.

I did some research on some of your posts and I have to admit, it's looking pretty sad out there.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Stylez]

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Stylez]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Stylez

From the first paragraph of your post, I take it that being well educated, rational and unbiased makes one a 'liberal atheist'. Well, in that case, we need alot more liberal atheists! Science cares not about liberal or conservative values. It only cares about facts and data, and where the data leads. If it lead to a talking snake and a mystical garden, they would support the conclusion. If it lead to an Earth that was only 6,000 years old, they would support the conclusion. If it lead to a 'Creator God', they would support the conclusion.

But the facts and data do not lead to such conclusions. Ignorance of science and the scientific method does not make you right or smart. And politics or political affiliation has absolutely no place in science. Never has, never will. Now here's your sign!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hey hey, as i said, i dont think its a deficiency of IQ, i think its largely social conditioning and consumerism. I hardly would put that off on the liberals and socialists though. Its big business that did the studies on how to turn hardworking intelligent american individuals into consumer resources back in the 50's, and they have successfully destroyed our family units and our values and replaced them with acquisition, greed, and isolationism (individual isolationism i mean, not government). This is a right wing agenda all the way. Further, to label Obama as a socialist is pure hyperbole and an affront to socialists. He is not in support of anything that does not profit the corporate sector, and even his supposed "socialist, oh noes" health plan is actually set up to reap more profits for big pharma and the insurance industry, and does very little for the common man, which is actually the OPPOSITE of socialism.

Lets get it straight, stop using socialism as a call word to generate emotional responses of fear and loathing, when its not even applicable. Hes a corporate stooge, was put into office by corporate backing, and supports the monopolistic oligarchy just like every other president weve had in contemporary american period. And corporations are NOT socialism, they are the far right, dictatorial capitalism. Since when is taking all the citizens tax money from them and giving it to rich bankers socialism?? Must be another great product of our american education. Most americans are so unexposed to the ideas of their founders that they extol Thomas Paine, Jefferson, and others as heroes of capitalism, when in fact they would be considered left wing nutjobs in todays political spectrum.

America's greatness was never built on free market, we practiced protectionism which brought us to a position of greatness. Now our corporations push free market, which brings great profit for them but is eminently destructive to the american people. The majority of the freedoms and rights we take for granted, labor protections and laws, womens sufferage, african equality, etc the government and industry fought to KEEP us from having, and it was the left, largely supported by african american community, socialists, and communists that willingly suffered imprisonment, abuse, and murder to procure these rights for us. Sad that all three groups are largely absent today and no one is there to protest the government ripping away many of the freedoms we see quickly evaporating today.

Oh how we will lament when people realize how gone are their bill of rights protections, with nary a peep from the media watchdogs, as we all wake up one day in a prison of government and corporate manufacture.

It was mussolini who said that fascism is the joining of government and corporation. Sadly in the US today corporate power has much more control of government than does religion, public opinion, rights groups, or any other concerned group.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join