It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very unusual holes/openings/entrances found in Antartica

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It's also of interest that during "Operation Highjump" and referring to the Bunger Hills rocky outcrop approx 40kms north of the main opening, Admiral Richard E. Byrd, famously stated that the Bunger Hills was "…one of the most remarkable regions on earth. An island suitable for life had been found in a universe of death".

I find that a most interesting comment to have been made by such an extremely high ranking military official ! Wonder what he was hinting at ?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by baaronhaile
Great post!

if those photos are genuine, there is something going on in Antarctica...

Logistically, a perfect place for secrets,

thank you for the picts!

Don't blame you for being skeptical regarding the quality of the pics, I was surprised myself ... but I assure you they are genuine.
You can check them out for yourself on Google Earth using the coordinates I supplied in my original post.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Baffled,

I suppose some old, sealed lava tubes could have been subject to venting....

But that material in the second pict, covering the opening, totally weird.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Ice forming in partially collapsed lava tubes is an excellent call.

yeah what HE said...

and keep in mind...ice-laced underground passages that have stood up to the test of billion years of time are to be IGNORED as resources for black ops base of operation..

not ONE member of any modern first world government in the entire planet has EVER thought to use these already existing mazes of passages as a base for a more elaborate infrastructure to be created within.

they prefer to waste trillions in the cold weather by creating these from scratch.

they are of no value to anybody in the world. .and have never ever been suggested to.

ever.

-

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think you are trying a bit too hard to claim it is natural, when the pictures showed by the OP are much better than the ones you posted, and we can see clearly the opening and the clearly defined edges, and to find another hole almost the same size, and the same shape with clearly defined edges? What are the odds?

These do not look natural at all.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage[/i
I didn't flatten anything out. I used the horizon tilt feature of Google Earth.

And if you do the same to a mountain, which I have done with google Earth it looks almost flat. try doing it with ctity blocks, and houses and they look flat... Doing that with google Earth only hides the features of the openings.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

You have to turn on "Terrain" to see the 3D effect. But buildings are not part of the digital elevation model which Google Earth uses for its 3D terrain mapping so they do show as flat. But mountains don't. Run your cursor over the top of a building, the elevation (shown at the bottom of the screen) does not change. Run it over the area we are looking at and it does. This area in Antarctica is pretty flat. There is a general slope upwards toward the east but these rocky areas are not that rugged after being run over by ice for a long, long time.

Here is what a hole looks like on Google Earth. It looks kind of like a big hole.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ab0223a5fde.png[/atsimg]

Melting ice typically creates very well defined edges.

Refreezing ice melt ponds frequently acquire a "layered" look.

[edit on 8/26/2009 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
To be totally honest here, Antarctic bases and Lake Vostok(I know it is not related to this thread but still) is how I joined ATS two years ago. I truly think that there is some mystery to Antarctica, I also think that there may indeed be some truth to some of the "Antarctic Conspiracy Theories", whether that be the Hollow Earth, NAZI base, or alien base. I am not saying that there is for sure anything like that there, but if you do a little research into it, you quickly find out there is something very possibly we are not being told about that continent. Let's not close our minds so much it hurts.

Interestingly enough no one as pointed out a relevant link to this thread and all the discussions of "bases" and such. There are just WAY TOO MANY ATS threads about Antarctic bases to link, however I will link this report by Branton, it is interesting. I would also recommend using the ATS search feature to search for any Antarctic conspiracy relatd threads, trust me--There are QUITE a few.

The Omega Files

Another point I think should be made it that there is only so much research that can be done via the internet. While there are MANY great minded people on ATS, we also need to remember that we can only do so much with the already limited Antarctic data. Not to mention GE images are not exactly what I would consider research.
While they are great for initial purposes, remember that for any in-depth investigation-- especially of the already under researched Antarctic continent, really requires physical investigation, which is pretty much impossible for most, if not all of us. I know everyone prolly' knows that, I just thought I would reiterate that for those who may be to ready to jump on online GE images for conclusions either way

Anyways, thanks to the OP for truly bringing a classic topic back to ATS, with a newer look and newer data. Antarctic conspiracy theories are always some of the best IMHO, and with the data and fresh looks we have got here it is even better.
No matter what these really are, it certainly re-affirms my personal belief in ATS and the quality of its' members.

[edit on 8/26/2009 by jkrog08]

[edit on 8/26/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah I know. I have used google Earth for a long time. One of my hobbies used to be finding ghost towns around Wyoming, and google map is good as a research tool, but I have noticed the 3D effects are lacking because you don't see the true size of mountains, and the terrain.

I have found this out by going to the areas i researched, and finding that the terrain is higher when I have visited the sites, and with more pronounced features.

Mountains in real life look like hills, canyons are barely visible and almost look like plains, etc when using google Earth.

That picture you gave of the hole, and hill around the hole is a lot bigger in real life than it looks on google Earth.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_XIM

Why bother to hide it? how many people can actually visit this site in antarctica? Very few, and making it look just like an opening will make many people believe there is nothing to this entrance.

If it was sealed by a metalic door then it would be a giveaway of what it is. Hence not closing the opening is the best way to hiding what could be inside. It's called "hidden in plain sight."

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IX-777

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

That definetedly looks like either a military base, or a scientific base.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kilas

If it was natural it wouldn't have that smoth definition throughout the opening, and having another opening close by with almost the same shape is very unlikely.

Lava holes, heat vents, etc are not that symmetrical.

For all we know this could even be a scientific base in antarctica. We were trying to dig a hole through the perennial ice in Antarctica, and stopped when we were close to a natural formation of a warmer lake which has bacteria, and probably viruses with an entire ecosystem which have evolved separately from all Earht's surface ecosystems.

This could be an excavated hole for scientific purposes.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaydie

I also thought Nikita said...You will rot from within.

However, I couldnt find it, darn.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by Mr_XIM

Why bother to hide it? how many people can actually visit this site in antarctica? Very few, and making it look just like an opening will make many people believe there is nothing to this entrance.

To give you an idea of how many people can visit this site look at these pictures..
They land on a glacier just near your so called hole in the ground. They have been doing this since 1956 and I feel someone (of the 100's) who have been here. Would have noticed something.

We are not taking about mountains were talking about hills only a few metres 20 to 100 metres high as per the photos below.

In reality the place is flat as pancake.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef09f618dc19.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b01dbfb1274.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1bddfaf593a0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

That is not the site given in the photos by the OP.

There are many places in Antarctica where people can't go to, and it is not as easy as you make it look either.

BTW, in case you didn't know, Antarctica is very large, and most people can't, and haven't been able to investigate every hole, and interesting place in it.

Not to mention that there are bases you won't have access to.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
BTW, does anyone remember an incident that happened in a base in Antarctica a couple years ago or so? Supposedly they had to airlift some scientists but they were briefed not to make any comments about what happened.

If i remember correctly we had a thread, or two about it back then.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by greenfruit

That is not the site given in the photos by the OP.

There are many places in Antarctica where people can't go to, and it is not as easy as you make it look either.

BTW, in case you didn't know, Antarctica is very large, and most people can't, and haven't been able to investigate every hole, and interesting place in it.

Not to mention that there are bases you won't have access to.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

If you know anything about the Bunger Hills they are exactly where the original images are. They cover an area of about 400 km's the Ice sheet that you see is about 2 metres thick in most places. Much of the ice you see is sea ice.

BTW I'm a geologist who has been to Antarctica so do have a far Idea how big it is and have been to the Bunger area. The Bunger Hill area is pretty famous when it comes to research areas.

The Bunger Hill Area is used as a fuel resupply area by the CASA. As per my other posts, there is a permanent summer base there.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by greenfruit]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
BTW I'm a geologist who has been to Antarctica so do have a far Idea how big it is and have been to the Bunger area. The Bunger Hill area is pretty famous when it comes to research areas.

Good for you, still the photos you gave does not look like the area given by the OP. But as i said before, this could be some military or scientific base.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Here is a site which has the coordinates of the Australian bases located around that area.

www.aad.gov.au...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Nice find

i have been looking on Google earth & mars myself I've just discovered an Egyptian head on mars i need 20 posts though before i can make a thread about it as i am new on Ats but I've been coming on this site for about a year & a half

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join