It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very unusual holes/openings/entrances found in Antartica

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
.....most anyone with a working knowledge of Photoshop and google images and more importantly someone who wants to create controversy can find suitable pictures to produce realistic pictures of caves protruding from snow convered mountain ridges.....

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Could they be something to do with the contents of this article?

THE first complete map of the lakes beneath Antarctica's ice sheets reveals the continent's secret water network is far more dynamic than we thought. This could be acting as a powerful lubricant beneath glaciers, contributing to sea level rise.

Unlike previous lake maps, which are confined to small regions, Ian Joughin at the University of Washington in Seattle and colleagues mapped 124 subglacial lakes across Antarctica using lasers on NASA's ICESat satellite (see map).

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNaR
.....most anyone with a working knowledge of Photoshop and google images and more importantly someone who wants to create controversy can find suitable pictures to produce realistic pictures of caves protruding from snow convered mountain ridges.....

eNaR ... I have to say I take offense to your post stating that I used PhotoShop to "create" those Antarctic images within this thread.
For each one of the posted images, I supplied the GE coordinate so that anyone, and this includes YOU, could go verify them as being untouched.
Obviously that is something that you have NOT done judging by that ignorant and uninformed post of yours.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuse_orders
Could they be something to do with the contents of this article?

THE first complete map of the lakes beneath Antarctica's ice sheets reveals the continent's secret water network is far more dynamic than we thought. This could be acting as a powerful lubricant beneath glaciers, contributing to sea level rise.

Unlike previous lake maps, which are confined to small regions, Ian Joughin at the University of Washington in Seattle and colleagues mapped 124 subglacial lakes across Antarctica using lasers on NASA's ICESat satellite (see map).

Thanks for that very interesting article ... just amazing the stuff they're finding UNDER all that ice and snow

For a moment I thought that perhaps there might be a correlation between those openings and the underground lakes but when I compared the locations of the lakes to the location of the main opening/entrance anomalies ... there was no apparent correlation.
None of the new or existing underground lakes are anywhere near the anomaly area.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7b09685a2831.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
[edit on 16-9-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
LOL its the hole the nazis made if you are aware of that conspiracy !

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Ok there's a good point for skepticism, since I for one did see a volcanic vent once, while in a trekking trip across an active volcanic area, and this hole was huuuge and quite oddly-shaped (like the gigantic open mouth of some titanic monster, right off the slope of a mountain, vomiting a streamed of cooled-down lava), very plastic-looking. A testimony of how sometimes Nature makes things in a very artistic and yet disproportionate way...

But these still elude me, and not just because of the similar dimensions of these holes, their proximity and these "tracks" coming from one of these...

What intrigues me even more is that after decades of geological surveys and research by the military and scientists, they haven't spoke a word about these two huge gaping holes... which could be still of important scientific interest, and would have been reported in the news for a long time.

Are these scientists working on Antartica so idiotic that they are missing such important data, while a few average joes (or janes) could make that discovery just by surfing on Google maps? That's just too ridiculous to be true!

Skeptics, try answer to this. Or just think about it.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

What intrigues me even more is that after decades of geological surveys and research by the military and scientists, they haven't spoke a word about these two huge gaping holes... which could be still of important scientific interest, and would have been reported in the news for a long time.

Are these scientists working on Antartica so idiotic that they are missing such important data, while a few average joes (or janes) could make that discovery just by surfing on Google maps? That's just too ridiculous to be true!

Skeptics, try answer to this. Or just think about it.

You've raised a very valid point and truthfully, not one that I had thought about.

Obviously, (as you say), if I or anyone could simply use GE and find them quite easily, then surely these interesting anomalies MUST be already well known to various authorities as well as geological/geophysicists worldwide.

So the obvious questions to ask are ... have these anomalies already been explored and what conclusions were reached ... why have there been no obvious results/conclusions published ... if they haven't been explored, then why not as they're sufficiently unusual to warrant examination, as well as being obviously "in your face" visible from satellite/aerial view.

Considering that the vast majority of the Antarctican surface is snow/ice covered and to be blunt, very boring from an exploratory point of view ... you'd think something as huge and unusual as these holes/openings would have scientists/explorers/researchers beating a path to go check them out.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Hi. As a member also of The Cloud Appreciation Society (www.cloudappreciationsociety.org) I’m all for having my head in the clouds and looking for things that aren’t what they seem. However, I get the feeling that we’re losing the original thread here.

The pics posted by tauristercus are interesting and can’t be claimed as fake as we can all find them on GE - I just don’t believe anyone hacked into GE files. They are worth discussion and hypothesising over - debate is what ATS is all about. Any scientist worth his salt will want rational explanations, but we all know we don’t always find rational explanations.

I agree with epitaph.one, EnhancedInterrogator, awmilton, Parallex, TrustMeImaSalesman and others, who apply reasonable, rational and mostly informed arguments. As ATSers we are free to decide for ourselves which arguments are venturing into realms of fantasy, and for me, the tongue-in-cheek references to, for example, exoviewer’s lake and other shapes seen in the snow and terrain, make for entertaining reading.

I’m not a geologist but IMHO…

• the molten metal lip looks to me like the rocky edge of an adjacent rocky shallow basin holding back a melt pool, which in turn is reflecting a possible cloudy part of the sky (but not the sunlight directly, given the apparent position of the sun as suggested by the shadows of the surrounding terrain). It’s this reflection that gives a dome-effect.

• The apparent perfect line of artefacts are in fact not in a perfect line with each other (just lay a straight edge along them), but they could represent points along an underlying rock stratum.

• I would expect someone at GE, with or without the Powers-That-Be, to have have re-checked this area, hence the apparent evidence that they have done so. The fact that they are still displayed on GE suggests to me that these were all concluded (not necessarily found or proved) to be all natural formations.

Now, back to cloud-spotting......try Googling for ‘Morning Glory Clouds’ – no-one can explain their cause, but they’re seen regularly in Oz, and there’s no doubt that they’re a natural phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
There are a couple of questions that came to mind:
"What would lava look like, if it immediately froze over?" and, "Have we forgot how nature can still be unexplainable, and do things that defy scientific reasoning as well?" Also, the black smooth top surface, reminded me of a thick layer of black ice. But then again, I could even be wrong.

Here are a few links to lava tubes lava tube sink holes, and then you can compare them all. To me, anything is possible.

(Pisgah Crater in the Mojave desert)
quest.nasa.gov...

farm3.static.flickr.com...

Glacier caves occur in ice and under glaciers and are formed by melting.

Fracture caves are formed when layers of more soluble minerals, such as gypsum, dissolve out from between layers of less soluble rock.

Talus caves are the openings between rocks that have fallen down into a pile, often at the bases of cliffs.

(this next one is a Glacier Cave Opening)
www.photosfan.com...

Some caves are formed at the same time as the surrounding rock. These are sometimes called primary caves.
Lava tubes are formed through volcanic activity and are the most common 'primary' caves.

Lava caves, include but are not limited to lava tubes. Other caves formed through volcanic activity include rift caves, lava mould caves, open vertical volcanic conduits, and inflationary caves.

Corrasional or erosional caves are those that form entirely by erosion by flowing streams carrying rocks and other sediments. These can form in any type of rock, including hard rocks such as granite.

I find nature to be the most amazing and mysterious aspect of life. Proving time over, that anything is possible. And just when we all think we have it all figured out....we really do not. The world alone will never fully be even 150% explored. It has been said that 98% of Earth has yet to be explored and discovered. That 2% covers a lot already (to our human mind).

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whizzywig

Now, back to cloud-spotting......try Googling for ‘Morning Glory Clouds’ – no-one can explain their cause, but they’re seen regularly in Oz, and there’s no doubt that they’re a natural phenomenon.
MGC's remind me of the sky's ocean, or a playful phenomena with nature. As since a child, I have always looked at our skies as another ocean. And reminds me of a merging between heaven and Earth. Nonetheless, a beautiful spectacle of nature.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
great hole!!!!! very strange

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
hi im new to ats and ive been looking around but couldnt find anything. I dont know if it is just my google earth or not but in antartica there is a white circle (massive) and when you zoom in theres a little circle inside.

Does anyone know what this is?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
There are another funny thing I found on GE in Antarctica. Please have a look at 70° 9'53.50"S - 87°48'40.34"E

You can see bright white spot with something that looks like several dark triangles around it.

Any clue what it might be?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Great pictures.

I don't have any doubt though that they are anything but natural formations though.

It's too bad though that we're not likley to get any more infomation on them though, it's not like any can just hope in a car to do a little sight seeing for themselves.

I wonder how often GE updates that region and if we'll see these holes getting covered up in snow again.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
sorry if it's a repeat, but the first set looks like a mine opening with tailings out front.
the greyish color could either be the color of the tailings, or perhaps a darker tailing covered in snow and/ or ice.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

that is stupid, the picture you posted looks nothing like th OP's. not even close,
FAIL

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hedera Helix
reply to post by rubbertramp

D.U.M.B.

i thought it was a compliment till i noticed it was a link.
don't think i'd jump to that conclusion so quick.
colorado, montana, some of the old mines up above tree line look very similar to the images posted.
it's amazing how huge the openings are.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The tunnels shown in the pictures look artificial, like previously said - there does not seem to be any ejected matter surrounding the opening which would be seen if it was a lava tube..

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join