It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very unusual holes/openings/entrances found in Antartica

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

That's not a mountain,it's an island, and a very flat one.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9cb4f198dceb.png[/atsimg]

The grey material is submerged ice, the dark material is water.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cb57068f5efc.png[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The satellite images shocked me when I first saw them. But now I'm 99 % sure it's natural phenomena and not man-made. You can find DOZENS of exactly the same "entrances" in other parts of Antarctica, in Greenland, even in the Alps. And I don't suppose a secret underground base would have dozens of open entrances all over the world.

Just search a little in Google Earth. I'll post some pics if I have time.

About the other two images - "you see what you want to see". If you want to see a face on Mars, you'll see it. If you don't, you won't. Just take a random person and show them the images - I don't think they'll see a ship or a plane (but the "ship" is really a bit weird).

I believe Neuschwabenlandbasis (Nazi New Swabia base) in Antarctica DID exist and I know something about it. And these entrances just can't be it. The nazi base was much closer to the coast, was not visible from the air and was probably revealed and blowed up in 1946 (see operation High Jump).

[edit on 27/8/2009 by marcus33cz]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The black-cap-like thing seems to be the mos interesting because it looks artificial compared to the brown rock and the white ice.

But if there ever was anything there, it would probably have been removed by now...which is why sometimes its good to keep the best finds secret until they can be proven.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

The GPS coords do not match the known list of Antarctic stations.

Research Stations in Antarctica

It might be something left over from one of the many prior
expeditions, or just caves there.

Prior expeditions

The place has been combed pretty thoroughly by the different
countries so I will say whatever they are they re known.

You might email one of the groups and they might send out a
flying drone to check on it.

From my former military co-workers all the US classified stuff is
underground anyways there.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Knock knock!!!!

new bases, old bases ????

Antartica WAS long ago an island without ANY ice

i48.photobucket.com...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

www.nymapsociety.org...

There's no one who can convince me that there are NOT 'maybe' ancient bases under the ice and rocks there

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So when is the next Pabodie Expedition.

you know what they found in the caves the first time.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The grey material is submerged ice, the dark material is water.

I have to disagree with you ... you're basically saying that what we're seeing is a layer of ice, with a layer of water on top of it, followed by rocks on top of the water ... definitely a peculiar arrangement !

If that was to be solid ice, then what conditions would allow for the formation of liquid water with a layer of snow immediately adjacent to it ... and both sitting on top of a layer of ice ? Irrespective, the dark area can't be liquid water because looking at the grey material that you say is ice, it clearly has thickness of approx 5 metres and if you look closely, you can easily see that there's a section of dark area covering up part of one vertical side !
Incongrous to say the least, hmmmm ?

Look, Phage .... don't get me wrong or think I'm being disrespectful ... and I certainly agree we should ALL keep a healthy skepticism in accepting what's presented to us in threads here on ATS ... but I've noticed a strong tendency on your part that if someone says "its light", you immediately say "it's dark" or if someone says "its up", you immediately say "its down".

And the same with this latest image I've presented ... it's fairly obvious that whatever the dark material MAY be, an immediate "knee jerk response" of "it's OBVIOUSLY water" is innapropriate as just a few secs of close examination shows a number of reasons (as I've just pointed out) why a water based explanation doesn't fit the observed details.

Perhaps we could prevail on someone with genuine GEOLOGICAL knowledge and experience to make a considered statement regarding this anomaly.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by tauristercus]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It is not a knee jerk reaction to say the "dark material" is water. It is reasonable. The image was taken on January 2, 2006, the middle of the Antarctic summer. The ice is melting. Look at the big picture. There are many areas on the island of the same "dark material". Look at the cracks in the sea ice just north of the island. The "dark material" is water.

What we are seeing is a small pond (tide pool perhaps) with ice around most of its perimeter. Some of that ice is held beneath the surface of the water by the weight of the ice above it. The rock in the middle is a pinnacle which is projecting above the surface of the water from the bottom of the pond, an island as it were.

Here is an image of ice being held below the surface in a similar manner.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This would be a lot more believable if there were...

photo's of structures.

Or something that didn't just lok like a HOLE.

sorry.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I've taken a look at your example image and truthfully, don't really see even a minor degree of similarity to the image I'm showing.
Your image is a large body of water with a layer of ice a fair distance under the waters surface.
Whereas on my image, we see an isolated chunk of grey material (assumption on your part that it's ice) that has measurable thickness (approx 5 meters) and that has a dark shadow (assumption on your part that it's water) not only on it's upper surface, but also down one vertical side of the grey mass.
Now, if it's "warm enough" (your assumption) for the surface of the grey (ice) to begin thawing, then it should definitely be warm enough to also melt the snow thats also ontop of the grey material and ADJACENT to the water !

I would in fact suggest that rather than invoke water, snow and ice all in immediate proximity to each other and with the water and snow sitting on the upper surface of a 5 meter high block, that we simplify things and consider that the dark area is nothing more than simple shadowing from the rocks located directly above the grey material.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e98fda5e273.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stanton Dowd
This would be a lot more believable if there were...

photo's of structures.

Or something that didn't just lok like a HOLE.

sorry.

Peace.

I totally agree with you !

But then consider this IS Antarctica where the surface temp plummets to incredibly low values. Wouldn't it make more sense from a construction point of view (and security) to construct underground where you can maintain a steady and comfortable temperature much more easily ?

Not that I am saying these entrances lead to underground facilities

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Very cool pics!

While most in this thread are coming up with very valid natural forming explanations, which I appreciate and am thankful for.

I'd personally like to consider the possibility of these being artificially created(much more fun, and yet not completely impossible).

Not sure if this was mentioned but, maybe these are examples of what Admiral Byrd was talking about back in the 40's 50's after his expeditions/flyovers. Perhaps an entrance to Agartha inside the hollow earth.
i think I read that Byrds expeditions were financed by the Rockefellers of which he named some ranges he flew over. When the name Rockefeller is involved anything is possible.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Maybe this will help. This is generally a fairly level area. The melt pool(s) have formed in depressions in the rock.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34e1a410d59f.png[/atsimg]

I don't see how you can measure a vertical dimension from a two dimensional overhead view. But lets say you are correct about the elevations. The shadows don't make sense. By looking at the shadows cast by the icebergs to the east of the island ( 66°31'44.85"S, 93° 1'53.98"E), it can be seen that the sun was in the NNE when the picture was taken. So if that is a ledge, the shadow would fall something like this.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ba739f27eb0.png[/atsimg]
I can see how variations in the terrain could conceivably cause the shadow to extend to the left but I can't see what would be causing the bulge in the shadow on the right. Also, judging by the shadows cast by the icebergs, the sun is fairly high in the sky and the shadows are not as long as they are by your interpretation.

[edit on 8/27/2009 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I think there is more to Antarctica than we will ever know.... Think of all the untouched artifacts and things like that, that could be buried under all that ice.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Maybe it's these people.

I saw this on a commercial on T.V. about people who are predictingthe 2012 thing. I was surprised as hell to see something that could potentially get people worked up .....on Spike TV (same channel as TNA wrestling and UFC fighting champoinships). Anyway, I was looking around this eerie site of devestation and prognostication of perpetual pain and came across this part of the site where they are seemingly working to build an underground civilization to outwit the Planet X scenario. Here is the link.

Institute For Human Continuity - Antarctica Initiative

Who know, maybe these guys hard at work. Hey, they are looking for a leader too...even taking votes...although I suspect the real true leader will take what he wants and like today votes won't matter.
They are also having a lottery for someone who will be chosen to live LOL. Hope ya win.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think that in the final analysis, this is yet another one of those unusual locations that no matter how long you and I toss it back and forth, we'll never arrive at a definitive answer UNTIL someone actually eyeballs it personally and reports back ... unfortunately, I won't be holding my breath on that happening anytime soon

As an aside, what's your take on why just a few very narrow strips (amounting to not much more than a few hundred square kilometers - well, maybe a bit more than that) have been selected for re-imaging in higher resolution out of the entire Antarctican continent ... and why these anomalies just happen to be located in those same re-imaged strips ? Simple coincidence, perhaps ?

[edit on 27-8-2009 by tauristercus]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. Could be man made or could be from a volcano, I am not a geologist but would need to see more information on the subject before I could make an informed decision.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The second one is definitely man made. Could be any government though.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

The higher quality images are from DigitalGlobe, a commercial provider of satellite imagery. The the lower quality (the full coverage stuff) comes from the USGS, their stuff just isn't as good as the commercial stuff.

I don't think it's a matter of selective reimaging. Google Earth purchased these images from DigitalGlobe. It could be that DG doesn't have much coverage of the polar regions with their satellites or it could be that Google hasn't or doesn't want to buy more images from them at the moment.

As to why the "anomolies" appear in the high quality images...I have a hunch more of them would be found just about anywhere the high quality images were available. On the other hand, we just might see more of the melt ponds.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I'm a skeptic, but I'd like to point out a flawed argument by skeptics here. To say that you understand Antarctic ice flows and how it looks when it melts and refreezes and such is incorrect, even if you have some biological degree, unless of course you've studied in Antarctica?? However, is it so insane and out of line to imagine that a goverment, given the technology of course, would posture itself in the Antarctic by constructing discreet underground bases?? If I were in the business of military posturing I would sure as hell want a base in every region. Also, consider the doomsday vault and the mountain excavation technology already used. It's not that far a stretch.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join