It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Pirate Bay ISP Sabotaged, Calls In Police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Ex-Pirate Bay ISP Sabotaged, Calls In Police

www.dn.se

Yesterday, Stockholm’s district court took action to have The Pirate Bay disconnected from the Internet.

The court ordered the site’s bandwidth supplier, Black Internet, to disconnect TPB or face penalties of 500,000 kronor ($70,600). The ISP immediately complied, saying that it had no choice but to uphold the law.

Today, Black Internet have some serious problems of their own. According to CEO Victor Möller, his company’s infrastructure has been sabotaged and is suffering substantial damages.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The article is in Swedish, the next post I make will be an english translation...

I find this funny, black internet isn't really the ISP for The Pirate Bay. The are the ISP for the ISP of the Pirate Bay. What these actions resulted in was a total of 3 hours down time for The Pirate Bay, as they went wireless.

Good stuff!!

www.dn.se
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The ISP that supplied much of The Pirate Bay’s bandwidth before cutting them off yesterday, is reporting that it has been sabotaged. Calling in experts and the police, Black Internet says the attack on them is intentional and has caused substantial damage.

pirate bayYesterday, Stockholm’s district court took action to have The Pirate Bay disconnected from the Internet.

The court ordered the site’s bandwidth supplier, Black Internet, to disconnect TPB or face penalties of 500,000 kronor ($70,600). The ISP immediately complied, saying that it had no choice but to uphold the law.

Today, Black Internet have some serious problems of their own. According to CEO Victor Möller, his company’s infrastructure has been sabotaged and is suffering substantial damages.

At the time of writing, Black Internet customers are still experiencing serious disruption to their Internet services. Black Internet has many customers that resell Internet access, so the knock-on effects could be significant. One customer, One Call Support, said that the cost implications for them run to “millions of Swedish kronor.”

Möller said the company is working with technicians and the police to find out what has happened. One thing, he says, is certain – the attack was deliberate.

More on this breaking news as we get it.

from Black Internet’s status page (translated to English)..

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
lolol i love the pb team!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I am against "bad, illegal" activity from anyone.

But the problem is, its not like the government cares either.

So me being the citizen I am, of course I will root for TPB.

It is like a government who gives their citizens no rights and breaks all the laws, wants to enforce just one..."No attacking the policemen!"

Illegal yes, but do I care? Not a damn bit.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This was on ThePirateBay.org's news feed, I think it pretty much sums up the situation perfectly:

TPB can be compared to the organisation that builds the roads for cars to drive on. The ISP can be compared to the organisation that creates the asphalt for the roads. The ISPs ISP can be compared to the organisation that creates the tools needed to the asphalt to be created. You would normally not sue that organisation if a car speeds.

The RIAA might seriously be one of the dumbest organizations out there. As a musician myself, I would never entrust any of my work to them, as they have proven to be criminally incompetent and only interested in their own profits, not the success of their artists.

They spent untold amounts of money pursuing TPB, and the site was only down for 3 hours. They are fools if they think they can stop this. They will run out of money trying, just like the Soviets burned themselves out with their bloated defense budget.

TPB's trackers are already backed up on numerous other sites, so even if the RIAA somehow succeeded in shutting them down, they would have 5 more sites to shut down the next day, and that number would only increase as they increased their efforts. Corporate greed and a refusal to adjust to changing times has led to this struggle that will likely be the downfall of the recording industry as we know it.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Let lots of people suffer because a few spoiled children like to steal other people's intellectual property. Yeah those guys are my heroes.
Nothing like making innocent people suffer to prove your point.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Let lots of people suffer because a few spoiled children like to steal other people's intellectual property. Yeah those guys are my heroes.
Nothing like making innocent people suffer to prove your point.

The problem is TPB doesn't break any laws.

Yes, people can use it to break laws, just as they can use Google. Suing TPB, or more accurately it's ISP's ISP, is like suing Google because people can use it to search for illegal files. It makes absolutely no sense at all, and the international backlash against the RIAA's aggressive 'tactics' will only continue to increase.

And, as of yet, there is no evidence that the ISP was attacked by ThePirateBay itself. It could very well have just been a disgruntled file sharer who was pissed off during the 3 hour down period yesterday. It seems unlikely that TPB staff would want to shut down the ISP, because by the time it was attacked they were already set up wirelessly and back online.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Excuse me, but what are you doing on this site with this mindset?

If you think this is about "spoiled kids" stealing music over the intarwebs, I thing you're pretty ignorant.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

If anything, TPB will condemn it. Most likely it was some scriupt kiddie with a small botnet.

Or it could be a trick by the government to put file sharers in a VERY bad light - Sabotage = terrorism, and then it would be a whole other ballgame

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
They should have just paid the fine and let TPB run its course. Now look what happened.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I wonder, how many privacy laws were violated to see just exactly is being downloaded?
How may individuals are going to be hung out on a line because the information was obtained through espionage and subversive practices.
Not to mention baiting.

8 posts down-almost prophetic.

[edit on 8/25/2009 by reticledc]

[edit on 8/25/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
From the front page of the Pirate Bay on a new t-shirt:

'I spent months of time and millions of dollars to close down the Pirate Bay and all I'll get is this beautiful t-shirt!'

Indeed.

The internet is a unstoppable steamroller, and The Powers That Be should come to realize this.

TPTB cannot think it is okay to steal untold billions, even trillions, from the poor proletariat without expecting the poor to steal to return the favor.

As long as there be treasure- there be pirates!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
You think the AboveTopSecret.Com wouldn't get on your a** if you copied their website as your own?

Yes, they would. They are a company with an image out to make a profit. You can't make much of a profit when your image/gimmick is floating every which way for free.

Obviously not many in this thread programs for a living (I have done it for a couple of years, privately), and it is a real kick in the A** to see your work out there on pirate sites (there is nothing that can't be cracked, durrrr)...

It's just about as bad as owning a construction company and seeing your house designs pirated and being GIVEN to people for FREE.

Who is going to buy from you then, when they can get it for FREE?

That being said, I pirate all the time still... but I believe in Anarchy

I'm just saying, you have to look at the bigger picture - but more importantly the aggregates that make up the relation of that picture.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Yeah, but TPTB can pretty much throw the switch on the internet when they want, so we should start looking at some alternative.

Setting up private wireless networks seems to be the way to go - not much power needed to run a laptop, and and access point - range is just an issue.

I'll be following TPB closely from now, they seem to have a great hunch about how to use technology in smart ways

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crisko

the feds.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Follow The TCP Stream

My picture is this: Artists get a load of free "airtime" from being downloaded - And IMO artists primary income should be from concerts.

As for you, why not be a rebel and join the open soure community? - Personally, i think it's a shame, no matter what the profession, if it's the money it depends on.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

As you can see, at this moment there were over 22 million files are being uploaded/downloaded and the site has over 3 million registered users.

Barely anyone signs up, like most illegal sites, yet that number still amounts to over 3 million people.

And this is ONE torrent site

The RIAA must like Pokemon "Gotta catch them all".

Good luck

[edit on 25-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Using Google I did a search for Warez, the result:

Results 1 - 10 of about 49,000,000 for warez. (0.15 seconds)

Does that make Google responsible for those sites?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by crisko

hell yes. what do you need to continue? why should we pay for music when we can create our own?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join