It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics - Count me out till further notice ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Argh, i've had it ...

I made it through the campaign,
I made it through the elections,
I made it until now,

But I've just had enough.

The quality and level of American political discourse on ATS (and most everywhere else for that matter) has fallen to lows I simply cannot tolerate any more.

It's basically a constant 24/7 town hall meeting with brainwashed demagogues screaming party talking points at each other.

You may say it has always been that way ... perhaps it has and it's just me that's changing. And yes there are some gems in the poopsack but I'm just simply tired of sifting through it.

And it's not even the stuff directed at me, being labeled a super-mega-commie in one thread, a fascist neocon in the next, and a sheeperson
all around. I don't take stuff like that personally and god knows that I can get a little snarky myself on a rare occasion.

But ...

When there's no more room for expression without label, thought without subtlety, discourse without polemics, and intellect without abuse, then all common and not so common sense are all but lost.

So I'm out till further notice.

You can call it burnout ... but that would be doing a disservice to honesty, as there are some serious issues with the way we are approaching political debate.

I say this as a personal rant not expecting any or many to care either way. But as far as I'm concerned you can all have at each other's throats ... my position is henceforth one of total indifference.

Nothing else will change, I will continue to be my charming self
on all the other outstanding ATS forums. In fact I'm looking forward to immersing myself on topics within which my comfort and knowledge level are low ... that will obviously be the easy part.

ATS is surely an extraordinary place that is a big part of my real life ...

But for now, I'm just snipping away what I consider a malignant mole.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
come to ancient civilisations! I may need some help there...on the other hand, you'll find surely less NINCOMPOOPERY on the religion and theology board...lol
Bout time you got out, that place is raging firestorm where everything gets burnt in path of the flames.

Peace out little brother.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I agree. I just wish there was a way to filter it off of the "recent post" page. Unfortunately, some of the nincompoopery is still audacious enough to drag me in, where I end up posting and consequently end up regretting that I ever hit the submit button.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Yeah it was nicer when we had PTS, and ATS didnt have all the political stuff.

Cant say I blame ya, its not worth posting on anything political anymore.

Seems like since last years election discourse went down the drain and the extremists took over..

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Could always just focus on science. Of what importance is the business of nearly 7 billion upright apes among the trillions of trillions of stars in the universe? Its much more interesting and amazing out there as opposed to the business that happens on this small blue rock. If everyone looked up in the night sky and realized they weren't nearly as important (if important at all really) as they thought they were, there would be no political non-sense.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I can understand. Politics is one nasty bitch. It sucks you in then drains you for all your worth.

But the 2010 elections are right around the corner! Gotta see if the dems can keep that mega majority, and Ted Kennedy just died he was a democratic powerhouse.

So there is still a lot of moving and shaking goin on in DC.

[edit on 8/26/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
come to ancient civilisations! I may need some help there...on the other hand, you'll find surely less NINCOMPOOPERY on the religion and theology board...lol

Well, it's come to the point that I have to go to the Creationist or 9/11 forums for civilized debate.

Originally posted by Karlhungis

I agree. I just wish there was a way to filter it off of the "recent post" page. Unfortunately, some of the nincompoopery is still audacious enough to drag me in, where I end up posting and consequently end up regretting that I ever hit the submit button.

Yeah, I've mentioned the "filter" idea before with no traction.

And do I ever relate to regretting hitting the submit button. That's kinda the reason for making this thread ... to keep reminding myself not to get tempted.

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow

Seems like since last years election discourse went down the drain and the extremists took over..

Yep, and it has gotten progressively worse imo. Too bad cause there are some brilliant political minds on ATS. So far as I can tell most of them have stopped bothering to post as well. Meh, let the animals fight it out ... believe it or not some of them think that they're convincing other people to their side.

Originally posted by Eitimzevinten
Could always just focus on science. Of what importance is the business of nearly 7 billion upright apes among the trillions of trillions of stars in the universe? Its much more interesting and amazing out there as opposed to the business that happens on this small blue rock.

Very true ... I in fact used to post a lot of threads in the science related boards.
I expect that trend to resurface.

Originally posted by whatukno

But the 2010 elections are right around the corner! Gotta see if the dems can keep that mega majority, and Ted Kennedy just died he was a democratic powerhouse.

Meh who knows who will "win" ... it certainly won't be us.

I enjoy political discourse more as an abstract ...
There's something I believe very virtuous in the process ...
But not on these forums any more.

Anyhoot, it's not really a major deal. There's sooooooo much more to get involved here that is fun, interesting, and intellectually challenging.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
ATS is surely an extraordinary place that is a big part of my real life ...

But for now, I'm just snipping away what I consider a malignant mole.

Nice to see you have come in from the rain

Glad to see you have joined us in the ...

Serenity NOW!!! section of ATS/BTS

It's sooooo peaceful isn't it

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Don't take is so serious SD. It's just a bunch of cuckolds feeling their ideological oats on the interweb and flexing their anonymous cyber muscles.

We all know eventually it will be "yes dear, may I please finish this Post"

"Oh OK, I'll be right there"

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thanks buddy, I already feel much better ... Plus now I can focus on my NFL picks.

Originally posted by whaaa
Don't take is so serious SD. It's just a bunch of cuckolds feeling their ideological oats on the interweb and flexing their anonymous cyber muscles.

We all know eventually it will be "yes dear, may I please finish this Post"

"Oh OK, I'll be right there"

lol, how true ... also for meez.

Meh, it's not so much about taking too seriously as much actually wanting to have a serious political discourse, which for the moment is simply impossible. It's unfortunate and disappointing but not a major dealio.

Sooo, do you think a thread named: "If the pope accepts evolution why don't you" will go over well in the creationist forum?

[edit on 26 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Politics: The Party of NO vs the Party of no spine. Yeah!!

The problem is Big Pharma and the insurance companies do not want any change. They give to the politicos from the small states, both Democrat and Republican. The politicians know what side their toast is buttered on.

Remember, this country is government of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Oh no you didn't!!!!!

Just introduce politics into this thread

serenity now...serenity now...serenity now..

[edit on 8/26/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

PLAY ON LOOP AS REQUIRED...LOL at kidflash!!!!!

[edit on 26-8-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

You're killing me kiddo!

WOOSA WOOSA ....

:bnghd:

[edit on 26 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I pretty much feel the same way kinda.
As soon as i see the labels being called I usually just don't bother looking at the thread anymore.
If you say the wrong thing you get a label affiliated to the politics I try to ignore.
Theres really no point discussing it anymore after that.
As soon as I see neocon this or left that or right this...I realize its just a conversation not worth having.
Politics is so garbled with insanity these days.
I actually tried to make a thread on this kinda thing last week...of course it got no attention.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I agree with the last quote of that clip: Serenity now, insanity later!

I also want to quote from Mel Brooks' "History of the World Part I": It's good to be the King!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Ok ok, I know I just started a political thread ...

But here's the thing ...

I promise it's the last one ... and I'm not gonna post in it.

I can do this, I swear.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What surprises me more than the low quality of the 'discussion' (if it can even be called that), is the ignorance breeding in the politics forums. It is like someone has created a specially designed environment to cultivate MSM-spouting shills.

I thought ATS members would be more awake and not buy into the 2 party game. It has been proven again and again (most recently with the Bush to Obama transition) that nothing ever changes in the US Government, regardless of party or president.

But it seems that whatever the latest catch phrase is on Fox or MSNBC, it will appear on ATS and be pushed by whichever 'side' it came from in the media.

I miss the good old days where ATS was much quieter and didn't attract so many 'normal' people.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Sigh. Me too. After lurking for a while, I decided to sign up to visit threads that were "uplifting", "encouraging". Then I would be "uplifting" and "encouraging". I would read about ghosts. I would tell ghost stories. Then the first thing I did was click on a war zone. I post. Then, I delete them from my subscribers list so I won't be tempted to go back. But then I do anyway.

But it's the two, politics and religion. This was my promise to myself a week ago. I won't go. Then Senator Kennedy died, and I did it again last night.

I'm hopeless.

(where are we s-doggie that we have all these emoticons?) Where have you brought me? Now I have an afro? Those are out of style!

[edit on 8/27/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Despite what people say it has gotten worse. If it were this bad before people would of complained. But the experienced posters are starting to complain.

It used to be someone could post a cool article and everyone would have an intelligent, information filled response. Some of the best information I ever got was from this site.

Now the interesting threads are ignored, and it is angry bantering. People just sniping at each other.

Like I said on another thread... there are millions of more posts now then just 2 years ago. I think the majority of influx have not been the type of posters we have enjoyed on ats.

It seems moderators are lax. Topics that should be on bts are now on ats. People star n flag just because they agree. And applauses for work seem scarce. I used to actually be afraid to start a post on ATS that it wouldn't be up to par or informative enough. Now I can post: poodles turn blue when washed with Prell and its fine.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join