It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail Sales Fall During Back To School Shopping Season (That's very very bad!)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Just thought I would point out that home sales are always up during summer months because families do not want to uproot their families during the school season because of their kids.

and of course cash for clunkers upped the car sales.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I mean, it's on its way down.. what do you think should happen in a recovery? And I say that to you because I know you are smarter than that and you know where the markets are headed.

That doesn't even make SENSE?????

Seriously mate..

Monthly jobs LOST

Unemployment goes DOWN

Logically when you loose something, the percentage lost goes up, no? .. So if we lost 200k jobs, and the unemployment goes down we must ask why? .. It's because 580 some thousand people were no longer considered "looking for work"? .. Why is that? .. Because there are no jobs!

It has nothing to do with a "recovery" .. And you're right, I am plenty smart enough to see whats going on, I understand clearly the fundamentals of Economics.. There is no such thing as a Market Recovery.

#$! dude, the last "recession" in 2001 once it "ended" the markets still continued a major decline.. so by your logic the recession was twice as long as it was? ..

Stop listening to Government numbers..

IMO your views are slanted as you are out of work, as well as I infact. But the "slope" is turning down.. I mean that has to happen right in the process of getting better?

I resent that, it has nothing what so ever to do with that.. when I HAD a job I was one of the members on ATS calling the recession we are in.. it's simply looking at the raw economic data, it doesn't lie.

The Slope in unemployment IS dropping, hopefully next month we loose under 100k, that would be great news. It wouldn't be "Good" because we would still be loosing a ton of jobs, but better than 300k+ jobs a month.. That doesn't mean the Unemployment numbers should be Dropping though, because that's flat out lying.

Of course, more seasonal jobs are created in the months of June-October than any other months..

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
How 'bout a new government give away program, "Bucks for Books"?

You know free money for Pens, Paper and Clothing.

A government rebate of oh lets say $500 per student. Maybe there are 60 Million students currently in the country?

Multiplied by $500 = $30 Billion pumped into the economy. That would make the stock market go up.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

HA! I understand my friend, we think the same of you financial types

Sounds to me you may be being ripped off by someone as the most common thing I can think of that causes popping noises when you turn is the half shafts going out which shouldn't really be more than $230 or so (if that) a side on a focus. I see your in Portland though, hopefully it wasn't me that gave you that estimate
j/k

You see, that's the other problem though, some of the bad shops are really squeezing everything they can out of people and giving us all a bad name. I've ALWAYS have issues with people because of that. You wouldn't believe how many people leave pissed off thinking we tried to scam them simply because we let them know they have an issue other than the one they had originally brought their car in for. I mean, if we don't tell you how are you going to know?

And BTW, your focus's wheels most likely will fall off at some time...you know, because it's a ford and stuff. Unfortunately there's a good reason why American is getting smashed by Asian. Good luck amigo hehehehe...

I used to have a focus if it makes you feel better....never again.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Ok, in a Normal shaped bell curve or whatever u wanna call it, you must decline slowly on the curve..

We are doing that now, this is all textbook, I really dont see why you are fighting this..

You may have been calling for this in the first place, but now it is fixing itself

And dont take resentment, it wasnt meant to be that way (i think you know that) its just that IMO your views are slanted bc u have been slighted.. no biggie pac'

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   

But we are not talking about markets on this thread, everyone but you knows its fixed and detached from the Real Economy.

The Real economy has slowed its decline, but it is not actually getting better... these retail numbers show the consumer has not truly felt the supposed recovery..

Doesn't have jack to do with curves or ema's or how far the markets increase. This is economics.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Sure

But if you are going to look at that, you need to look at the recent rise in consumer sent. etc...

There are many pieces as we both know - but at the same time even though real unempl. is still going up, its going less up and less up means the curve is going in our favor (the unemployed fellas')

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Nothing is going to be fix my friend unless jobs start sprouting everywhere and people confidence comes back.

But right now our own government thinks that they can create all the jobs people needs, that is low income jobs.

Still without the private sector creating jobs recovery is impossible.

Remember the only reason the markets seems to be Recuperating is because they are the priority in the nation along with the financial.

Our government right now has not strategy to bring jobs into our economy that are not government related one.

We are actually becoming a stagnate nation.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Is going less and less up because is not more jobs out there, many people don't even qualify for unemployment benefits as their jobs are minimum and not full time.

Many small businesses like retailers do not want to hire full time employees so they can avoid benefits.

If you have not learned that by now, I guess you truly live in Richistan America and like our for the people elected elite have not clue what the hard working America is facing in this nation right now.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

No, as I said, I am unemployed as well, but I do understand after every recession the unemployment curve LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THIS. I guess I don't know what else to say except for this is normal (for coming out of a recession that is).

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The back to school sales were also hampered by the canceling of many of the "tax-free" weeks. The government got greedy and talked about canceling the weeks here in Florida. I don't even know if they actually canceled it or not, but it was a hot topic for awhile and I am sure it hampered the big sales events that usually go along with it!

Unemployment rates are extremely flawed and there is a thread today about how the real rate is over 16% when you take into account all the people no longer looking for work, or that have taken lower paying jobs or less hours!

I was out of work for several months, and I never bothered filing for unemployment. I was already giving up my truck and house and doing some cash side work, so the rate completely glazed over people like me!

My father trades penny stocks. He has been trading a stock this week that sees an average volume of 250 million shares traded per day, this week it traded over 10 billion shares on a couple of occasions!! Interestingly, the amount of shares outstanding did not change significantly, nor did the price?!? The only explanation is that some computer program traded the shares to make a few fractions of a cent, but overall it could have garnered $100,000 or more in microseconds!

Therefore, the stock market is entirely phony and manipulated by the few firms that trade billions everyday and the rest of us are watching the news and the trends and trying to pick up the crumbs!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Last week the top 5 banks by size accounted for 40% of market activity. Granted, it's always higher in August as August is the lowest volume month.

GBM: I agree that the curve for unemployed is slowing and that is a good sign, however if it were to slow in a time period where big stores were not stocking up on employees for the holiday season I would be even more enthusiastic. As it is, if we are to look back at past recessions the average monthly loss of jobs is 100kish .. 200k+ is still quite extraordinary, though thank god nowhere near the 750k lost at the beginning of the year.

I never took much stock in Consumer Confidence reports be it good or bad.. quite honestly statistics are a flawed science .. their methods of gauging the confidence is.. less than precise. Though to be fair, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the general confidence has increased given the spin of the MSM networks. They have been really really pushing this recovery on people, whether true or not.

S'pose we will see come Christmas.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I am sorry to hear that you are without job, at lest I am grateful that my sone 23 still work a minimum pay job with not benefits but a job is a job.

And remember while in every recession in the past since the great depression look about the same, this time is different, this time we have the highest numbers since the depression and this recession is going to linger longer and while our government doesn't want to say the word Depression because modern times can not be compare we are feeling a full depression right now.

At least in working class sector.

BTW inflation is starting to show its ugly head even with all Bernanke is doing to control it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join