It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manipulating time through perception.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Ive been recently thinking a lot about how time is manipulated by the brain. It has come to my attention that some days are long, and some days short (as many of you might notice as well). Now the first question this poses in my mind is, "Why was today so long?" . The first thing that comes to mind is the topic about the seemingly ageless man from china (mentioned in previous topic on ats, and im lazy). Now as i sit here developing thought on this i wonder, does the amount of thought being incurred at one moment at any given time control how fast time is actually being perceived? And if it does, how would we go about manipulating this change in perception of time at any given moment? Think of the movie wanted for example! Does anyone have any thought or input on this subject as i am very curious to learn more about this.

P.S. I have other various theories on time and the brain if anyone is interested on having an intellectual conversation with me.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by enlightenedwarrior]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well from theories such as Temporal Time Rifts and such.
To it's In my opinion all in your head. When things are going really slow just affirmatively think lets speed this up. (and away you go)

Neat post though hope it progresses

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Time is a human construct. and a day can seem as long as a week if your brain will allow it.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by enlightenedwarrior

It's not that your mind is manipulation time, so to speak, but your perception of it has changed.

Insert stressful event here:>

The mind goes into overdrive, and releases hormones, endorphins and neurotransmitter chemicals at more than 2x the normal output.
The result is that your mind now perceives every single relative threat imaginable, processes information several orders of magnitude faster, formulated decisions based on that info, and appears to slow down time.
Time itself is not being slowed down. It's all he information being processed, bypassing your conscious memory, creating the illusion of lag.
The same can be said of a boring day. With no actual stimulation of the processing centers, time seems to grind to a halt.
When we are deep in thought, the gears are turning.
When we are engaged in a stressful activity, we become speed freaks.
We get high on the chemicals being circulated throughout our brains and bodies.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I woke up one week ago and i found out that now that my mind is clear , time goes slower than before, i think this is because i stop having future or past thoughts involved in my perception of the world.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
reply to post by enlightenedwarrior

It's not that your mind is manipulation time, so to speak, but your perception of it has changed.

But here is deal.

Doesn't your perception actually alters the experience? And isn't the experience meant to be altered by the perception?

A mundane example:

If you start hating you can start killing. And by killing you are actually making others also hate (family of the people that you killed will probably hate you). So although the experience started without hate (which is just a perception) it ended with a lot of hate because of hate itself. And what was once just an individual perception became a shared perception or reality.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
well this could very well be a perceptually based arguement. time is as we all see it to be. so what im saying is if we see time to slow down is it actually slowing down, or is it going at the same rate? its like, looking at a plane thats 37000 feet in the air. the people inside the plane, in my realm of existence, are taking up less space. so can i perceptualy increase and decrease time through the act of thought? if we are all gods wat are our limitations?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Just thought I'd add a informative video supporting your justified argument.

I don't know why people can't understand that chemicals, effect you. And your thinking, and your perception...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If the brain is the power plant of the body then maybe the more you think and move, the more the body creates free electrons which in turn binds oxygen molecules (free radicals) to create ozone. Ozone is made up of 3 oxygen molecules which are unstable. Ozone is a corrosive. The skin get's thinner and the body breaks down with age because of this. Stress would be a big electron generator.

Maybe this is why they say a good sex life will increase your life expectancy. Maybe you flush a lot of electrons during climax. Excess energy built up will be released. The release of nitrogen during this process would also reduce the number of free radicals.

Foods rich in antioxidants, lower stress, and a good sex life might just be the ticket for a long life.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
what does a good sex life have to do with your ability to generate less stress? imo stress is defined as i define it. so if i stop choosing to accept stress am i enlightented? or am i an astral being of the 4th dimension? where does this question lead us and how? what is the oposite of stress? can that lead us backwards or fowards? all these questions and answers i have!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by enlightenedwarrior
what does a good sex life have to do with your ability to generate less stress? imo stress is defined as i define it. so if i stop choosing to accept stress am i enlightented? or am i an astral being of the 4th dimension? where does this question lead us and how? what is the oposite of stress? can that lead us backwards or fowards? all these questions and answers i have!!!!

In order to get rid off all stress you would need to raise your Kundalini to the crown chakra as they call it. This is the point of nirvana,one with the universe, one with G-d, etc. etc.

The old Chinese man probably reached that peak while at the same time did very little work and drank white tea (white gold).

[edit on 26-8-2009 by cloakndagger]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
Time is a human construct. and a day can seem as long as a week if your brain will allow it.

Wrong.

The 'measurement' of time is a human construct.

Time itself does exist. We just perceive it differently.

[quote“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.”

Einstein.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Time is a man made construct, the mind knows nothing of time. A split second can be a lifetime and an eternity can pass by in a flash.

For those who contend that life is infinite, time means nothing.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sacred Monkey
Time is a man made construct, the mind knows nothing of time. A split second can be a lifetime and an eternity can pass by in a flash.

For those who contend that life is infinite, time means nothing.

But as i've just said the measurement of time is a man made construct.

TIME IS REAL.

Eventually even the toughest rock will erode. Species become extinct and deserts replace forests. Buildings will fall and forests will grow.

That is time.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Time is pressure.

There is no finite, there is only change.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Time is pressure.

There is no finite, there is only change.

Right. So how do we perceive this change?

by the passing of....................................

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Man understands time as a reality because man kinds perception of life is finite. To the human point of view time has a beginning and an end, thus time is required as a measurement of existence between beginning and end.

But what is time to energy? How does one define time when describing something that has always been?

Time is a man made concept used to measure their understanding of A to B, beginning to end. How would one view time once they grasp the concept that there IS no beginning or end?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Time is a man made concept used to measure their understanding of A to B, beginning to end. How would one view time once they grasp the concept that there IS no beginning or end?

I understand what you are saying in that sense, that our perception of time is flawed due to continuity.

But that is only looking at it from one angle.

Even a sun will eventually die. A galaxy can be lost and merged with another and planets will be consumed.

That surely is the end of something?

If human beings carried this uncaring viewpoint then we would not be concerned about the fate of our species, or the state of the world, because as you say if we decided there was no beginning or end. Life on earth wouldn't be so good.

Alas, we HAVE to have time (or the perception) to give ourselves a crutch, otherwise chaos would consume us all.

top topics

join