It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Tips & Tricks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Excellent Information

And you are correct...

This is all for fun....

Good thing to remember....

Semper

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The simplist thing to do is buy a book about edible flora in your area. If you can read,it removes all doubt. If you can't afford a book,just let someone else eat the "shrooms" and watch them a couple of days. If they don't die....it's probably ok.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

I had a friend who did a survivalist course. They drop you off with a change of underwear an a knife for two weeks and come back and get you.

he said, when you area REALLY starving, it is amazing what you will eat. When you get hungry enough, you do start rooting under logs for worms and grubs with the best of them.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Another way to find north when you don't have sun or sky covered with clouds ande no stars available.
Most survival kits have some sort of hand saw or back side of the knife is a hand saw.
Cut a small tree parallel to the ground, you will see year rings (first you can find out how old the tree is, there would as many rings- but this is not important) Or find an old stump that has bin cut with chain saw or an axe doesn't mater you can still distingish the rings on it.
The side that rings are the tightest is your north dirrection.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am still trying to decide which I would rather eat my camping partner or a bug.

After reading all this I am gonna pick up some more spam.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Hey, can I play?

I always carry survival equipment with me. It's easy!
  • The trusty pocketknife! Indispensable for cutting vines, tall grass (to braid into rope), cutting up meat, killing meat animals, self-defense, and even cutting and whittling saplings into traps or shelter. It's my weapon, my cutting tool, my screwdriver in a pinch, my eating utensil, and my cooking utensil.

• On my feet are shoes, and in those shoes are shoelaces. Perfect little strings for whatever you need: fishing, setting trip lines for traps, or a myriad of other uses. And they're always there! I even use extra-long laces just in case I really really need them for something else.

• Speaking of my feet, a well-made boot makes one heck of a hammer in a pinch.

• I also carry around a little LED flashlight. It's lightweight, the batteries last a long time, and it's easy to grab if the lights go out. I also never have to worry about the bulb burning out.

• Cigarette lighters are good for more than lighting cigarettes; they tend to light anything you put the fire to. I always keep a couple of good working lighters on me. Sure, I know how to start a fire using sticks and one of those shoelaces, but why go through all that work if you don't have to?

• Believe it or not, car keys can be pretty effective weapons if need be. Just insert the keys into an area where keys are not designed to fit, and your attacker may think twice about the logic behind their decision to attack you.

• It's amazing how many times you might need to tie something up (or down). A good leather belt works wonders.

Heck, I feel like a walking talking living bug-out bag!

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Hey, can I play?

Hey - I'm just gonna have a bit of fun here - This is how it could go down in England, land of rapidly diminishing freedoms and ever increasing stupidity

I always carry survival equipment with me. It's easy!
  • The trusty pocketknife! Indispensable for cutting vines, tall grass (to braid into rope), cutting up meat, killing meat animals, self-defense, and even cutting and whittling saplings into traps or shelter. It's my weapon, my cutting tool, my screwdriver in a pinch, my eating utensil, and my cooking utensil.

It's a weapon - we go to jail for even thinking about knives!

• On my feet are shoes, and in those shoes are shoelaces. Perfect little strings for whatever you need:

• Both shoes and shoelaces can be used as weapons - they are soon to be outlawed - walk bear foot or face a criminal record!

• Speaking of my feet, a well-made boot makes one heck of a hammer in a pinch.

• OK fella - boot's and hammers, now your just asking for it - Tazer him PC Barry mate.

• Cigarette lighters are good for more than lighting cigarettes;

• OK sir, we have reason to believe you are capable of arson - if you wouldn't mind slipping these on your wrists.

• Believe it or not, car keys can be pretty effective weapons if need be. Just insert the keys into an area where keys are not designed to fit, and your attacker may think twice about the logic behind their decision to attack you.

• 'Barry mate! - this geezer reckons he could do you in with his keys! - Yhea were gonna need some back up with this one, yhea better get the dogs, is the chopper free?'

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:24 AM
    link   
    If it's cold out you can cut the sod and roll it back and climb under it and use it for a blanket. Good post.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:00 AM
    link   
    Just on the shoelaces thing for a minute...

I have 2m of 550 paracord on each boot. reason? you can strip out the 7 inner strands and the nylon sheath still works as bootlaces.

The inner strands are strong enough to use as fishing line (connect two or more with a fisherman's knot) and it makes a great general purpose cordage.

2 metres of paracord on each boot equals two bootlaces and 28 metres of general purpose nylon line in 2m lengths. Cheap insurance.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:18 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Incorrect mate, your right though it is a weapon. However you are allowed to carry one if you have a reason annnddd if you cant open it one handed and its under a certain length. Or your OBVIOUSLY using it for something, I mean I carry two knives on the water with me and I'd be arrested for having both in the high street without a reason. Even if both where more likely to kill you via tetanus then being stabbed by them
    Not sharpened them in months

A good strong multi tool is the way forward IMO, one with a locking knife is a definate plus. Gets round the knife laws and still gives you tool you need.
    [qoute]
    Both shoes and shoelaces can be used as weapons - they are soon to be outlawed - walk bear foot or face a criminal record!

Yet cross bows and bow and arrows have no liceanse requirements O.o Explain that law to me....

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:49 AM
    link   
    reply to post by devilwasp

Yhea I was being a bit daft - funny about the cross bows verses some of the other things.

Yep I too used to carry all sorts of things in the back of my van including a variety of blades - a sickle as well! - that could be pretty lethal, and also one of those curved things with serious teeth on them, it would rip through some pretty thick tree limbs If I needed it to (I had to get into some pretty dense undergrowth at times).

I thought one of the rules was about a locking blade (of any size) - I say that because a local nuisance homeless guy in this city was up in front of the court because he had a very small (less than 3") locking blade - he had no teeth left at all, he claimed he used it as a fruit knife.... They didn't believe him, probably as he clearly didn't get any vit C

I just know I've never had any bother, but I'm sensible - I even had to throw quite a handy pocket knife away because I forgot I had it when I was working in the garage - ended up in the pub, and later that night we headed off into town, at that point I decided better to toss it in a bin than take it into clubs. Shame that, found that one in my late grandads house - got plenty of others from him over the years though.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:32 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Now_Then
    I know you were being facetious, Now_Then, but you really have hit on something. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I carry a pocketknife. It's about 3" long, with a serrated section (which makes it perfect for stripping wires
    ) and has a lock blade. I can flip it open with one hand by grabbing the back of the blade in my pocket and whipping it out, and I do this quite a bit just because it's the fastest and easiest way to open it.

I do use it for an eating utensil. I carry a box of saltine crackers and a bottle of hot sauce with me, and if I'm feeling hungry at lunchtime,m I'll sometimes get a tin of sardines or a couple cans of vienna sausages. They're cheap and will get me by until I can get home to the pinto beans and fried taters.

Well, one day shortly after I started this job I work at now, I was feeling a bit hungry. I grabbed a tin of sardines from the store I was working on and went outside to sit down and eat where I could smoke as well. I whipped out my knife to use as a fork, and a couple walking across the parking lot looked like they were going to have a heart attack! Of course, once they saw me pop the pull tab with the blade they calmed back down.

The thing is, I attacked no one, I threatened no one, I simply decided to eat something. Since that day I have taken to trying to find an even more concealed location to eat. I tell you, it is sad that I have to hide myself from society to keep from frightening them.

A knife is a tool, and one of the most useful tools I know of. In skilled hands, it can turn a length of wood into a wooden chain. It can dress a deer, skin a rabbit, scale a fish, and pop open a pull tab. It can turn a screw (careful not to break the blade!), strip a wire, or trim materials. It can dig out a splinter, remove a tick, or slice off a callous that has grown too thick. And yet, what do we as a society associate a knife with? ASSAULT!

That is the same societal attitude that has led to knife banning in many other countries, and even in some areas of the USA. I fear my kind are an endangered species, being forced into hiding and into eventual extinction by the rest of society because they fear those like me.

I guess fear really is the ultimate enemy. And it appears it is winning.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:11 PM
    link   
    In cool weather, even though you may be clothed, the ground will act as a heat sink and suck the warmth right out of your body.

Use ANYTHING organic - pine needles, leaves, grasses, wood chips, wood - anything to get between you and the ground.

If you have some heavy blankets/comforters/sleeping bags, put twice the insulation below you as you put on top. You can have five feet of insulation covering you up, but if you have only a ground sheet, you'll freeze.

Cold wind. A strong cold wind will suck the heat out of you, so if one is blowing, if the circumstances permit, hole up in the smallest area possible, and cover up and wait it out.

Cold weather requires lots of calories. Fat is of course best, and you take it where you find it. Rabbits, squirrels, deer, dogs, cats, rats, and so on have very little or no fat.

Hogs and bears are rich in fat. Dangerous to be sure, but rich in fat.

Take care around fire. A stray cinder can ruin some of your more valuable possessions.

In cold weather, conserve energy. Those bears that hibernate? The ideal method of dealing with cold weather.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by dooper]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:47 PM
    link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
    I heard somewhere once that humans can eat whatever deer eat if your unsure of a food source.

Here in Calif deer eat acorns but they have to be treated before humans can eat them.
    They have a high gallotannin content here in calif.
    If you know how to treat them they are a good food source.
    White oak acorns have little gallotannin
    Red and black oak acorns are high in gallotannin
    Most oaks in Calif are the red or black type.
    www.wildmanstevebrill.com...

Acorn flour bread is good for diabetics as its high in protein and low in simple carbs.
    Its also cheap to make. as acorns are free to anyone that wants to collect them and process them.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:51 PM
    link   
    Here's a shaky tip that I picked up from a survival book in my teens. I have no clue if it's true or not but thought I'd post it because it's interesting:

Apparently if you are lost and without a compass and have no alternative method of finding your direction AND you have another person with you. What you do is face a direction and extend a forearm out and pull the forearm up while your mate pulls down. Continue doing this at different angles until you do a complete revolution. The theory is that your mate will notice that you are stronger when pointing in a certain direction and that direction will be the direction of your birthplace.

Pretty weird but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Incog

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:56 PM
    link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils
    Lot of people also forget if you eat only vegetation it will make you sick, you need some sort of protein. Beetles and earthworms are very nutritious once you get over the fact you are eating a bug. And they are everywhere.

Take some seeds with you, specifically heirloom or open pollinated seeds.

Amaranth is one of the few complete plant proteins.

Buckwheat is as well, and one or two others.

Giant Golden Amaranth is my choice because it makes 1 pound of seed
    per plant.

You may go through some stomach issues becoming a vegetarian,
    but lots of ppl do not eat meat around the world. The transition to
    eating only veggies can be a bit tough on the gut and such, but it
    can be done.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:58 PM
    link   
    -Holes in the ground have many uses-storing food(keeps it colder), as a fire pit(allows ground to warm better and hides the light if you are trying to stay discreet), as a simple animal trap, as hidden chances, etc.

-Not sure about other climates, but here in the northwest, if in the wild for an extended period of time, it is imperative to keep yourself and your clothing clean as often as you can. Human skin is a wonderful medium for all kinds of fungus to grow on.

-Bark makes a wonderful blanket

-Tying your shoelaces together creates a fantastic climbing utensil.

[edit on 9/1/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:04 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Death_Kron

Here is a few:

worms cure:

pumpkin seeds

Herbalists often recommend large amounts, up to 25 ounces for adults. The seeds are often mashed and mixed with juice. Two or three hours after consuming the pumpkin seeds, a laxative is often recommended to help cleanse the intestines.

=========================================

natural ant repellants:

# Cornmeal can be used as a weapon against ants, and it's not poisonous to people or animals. Ants eat it and after consuming water, the cornmeal swells inside their digestive organs, causing them to die.[5]
    #
    Dried cloves
    Dried cloves
    You can also apply scents and substances that ants simply don't like for various reasons: vinegar, peppermint oil, cinnamon, black pepper, cayenne pepper, whole cloves, and bay leaves. Some of these might be harmful to pets and irritating to curious children.

tick repellent:

I dug deep in my herbal formula books for this recipe out of desperation,
    given that I live in the epicenter of the tick-generated Lyme disease
    epidemic.

I tested the essential oil that is recommended for ticks, Rose Geranium,
    by putting a few drops—no more!—on
    our dogs’ collars, to see if it would repel ticks.

Lo and behold, we went from 20 ticks a day on each dog to none.

The second best essential oil for repelling ticks is American Pennyroyal (also called tickweed).

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons vegetable or nut oil (almond oil contains sulfur, a repellent
    in its own right) 10 to 25 drops Rose Geranium essential oil

Combine the ingredients in a glass jar; shake to blend.
    Make: 2 tablespoons with a shelf life of about six months.

Dab a few drops on your skin or clothing, making sure to avoid eyes.

Caution:

Skip the Pennyroyal if there is anyone pregnant (including pets) in the home,
    as it can induce miscarriage. And as always, use essential oils with caution
    as they can burn the skin and harm eyes. Don’t use these essential oils around cats.

========================================

rabbit diagnosis:

Small white dots of necrosis on the liver are typical of tularemia.

boil the muscle for a long period to avoid the disease,
    do not eat or touch the organs,

Garlic Mustard, it remains green and photosynthesize all winter!

The main vegetables stored in the root cellar consisted of:

turnips, onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes

1. Rip some bark off a willow tree.
    2. Make a fire.
    3. Boil some water.
    4. Stick the willow tree bark in the boiling water.
    5. Steep it as you would tea.
    6. This is basically aspirin - the chemical that aspirin is made of is found in the bark of willow trees.
    7. Drink the water u boiled

========================================

caching critical items at a few different locations allows you to have
    your stuff ripped off, but you have backup supplies buried nearby
    in waterproof containers.

If you have several caches, you will never run out of supplies
    due to being robbed etc etc.

Always have a backup plan, and caching is a backup for your supplies.

The special forces have a book almost totally written just about caching.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:09 PM
    link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by Now_Then

Incorrect mate, your right though it is a weapon. However you are allowed to carry one if you have a reason annnddd if you cant open it one handed and its under a certain length. Or your OBVIOUSLY using it for something, I mean I carry two knives on the water with me and I'd be arrested for having both in the high street without a reason. Even if both where more likely to kill you via tetanus then being stabbed by them
    Not sharpened them in months

A good strong multi tool is the way forward IMO, one with a locking knife is a definate plus. Gets round the knife laws and still gives you tool you need.
    [qoute]
    Both shoes and shoelaces can be used as weapons - they are soon to be outlawed - walk bear foot or face a criminal record!

Yet cross bows and bow and arrows have no liceanse requirements O.o Explain that law to me....

On the knives and multi tool make sure and get them as stainless steel
    as they will rust otherwise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join