It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Tips & Tricks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hello all,

Not posted in this forum for a while, been busy with other avenues.

Thought I would start a thread on little tips & tricks that might seem insignificant but could, maybe one day, help save your life or at least get you to safety

So to start this off I'll tell you all what I have recently learned (althought it might be wrong, be sure to correct me if so)

A good way of telling North from South is by looking at a tree, the side of the tree that has more moss on it will be facing North as moss likes to live in colder, damper conditions.

The side facing South will have less moss as it will be facing the sun and hence warmer conditions.

Like I said, it could be wrong but it seems correct in my opinion.

So I ask you all, what simple little tricks or tips can you provide that will help make a daunting situation that little bit easier?

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You can find north with an analogue watch. (in the Northern hemisphere)

What you do is point the hour hand at the sun, then you get a match or blade of grass (or just do it by eye) place that so that it points half way between the hour hand and 12 and that will give you the north south line.

If your watch is on summer time then use the 1 o'clock position instead of the 12.

In the southern hemisphere....

Point the 12 at the sun and then divide the angle between the 12 and the hour hand in half as above.

Now you can always find out exactly how lost you are

Oh yhea if you have a digital watch you can get a rough idea by visualising an analogue clock face, or maybe draw one out somehow.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here's a topic i posted a while ago along the same lines:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's a few pages there already, check it out.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Here's a topic i posted a while ago along the same lines:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's a few pages there already, check it out.

Nice one mate, sorry about that I didn't see your existing thread.

Should of looked before I posted

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Okay, since you're sorry i WON'T use my superpowers to make your head explode remotely

That, and it took me quite a while to find it, and i posted it. ATS search does suck!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I heard somewhere once that humans can eat whatever deer eat if your unsure of a food source.

Dandelions have large amounts of vitamin C in their roots.

In the north, you can find the north star by finding the big dipper, which rotates around it, teh find the outside two stars of the ladel, and they point to the North star.Hold up your hand, using four fingers that are touching, against the space next to the dipper, and that is where the n. star is.

( hope that makes sense, lol)

when the sun approaches the horizon when setting, if you again count with four fingers between the space of the horizon and the sun, each set you can fit in is 20 minutes before the sun sets.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Supposedly you can eat ANY fresh water fish raw....

2nd line - who wants to be the first to try?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I have eaten raw fish from my creek. Its a freshwater creekas and the fish was a largemouth bass. It was an accident. But, it didn't hurt me at all.
I was cooking and the fire ended up only burning the scales. Ate it anyways. Taste like sushi. I would rely on the deer idea.

Oh yeah and the moss thing, doesn't necessarily work everytime. Depends on the terrain and environment. I would definitely use the stars at night, big dipper handle to little dipper for north, and southern cross constellation for south. But, someone already posted that.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I heard somewhere once that humans can eat whatever deer eat if your unsure of a food source.

What you heard might KILL YOU or someone else. If you're not sure don't bother speculating please - this thread isn't about whether or not fairies exist but survival, which means humans trying to stay alive.

Dandelions have large amounts of vitamin C in their roots.

Also not true but at least it won't kill you. The roots can make a coffee substitute and the young greens are edible if a little bitter.

In the north, you can find the north star by finding the big dipper, which rotates around it, teh find the outside two stars of the ladel, and they point to the North star.Hold up your hand, using four fingers that are touching, against the space next to the dipper, and that is where the n. star is.

Star for you! you got one right!

People need to be serious about posting on the survival board - you could hurt someone. ok?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
linkreply to post by Asktheanimals

Get a grip!

Nobody should be taking any information directly from a forum. If they do, then their chances of surviving are pretty slim to begin with.

But while we are on the subject of disinformation and denying hotheads...

Not only are dandelions good for your soil, they are good for your health. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a serving of uncooked dandelion leaves contains 280 percent of an adult's daily requirement of beta carotene as well as more than half the requirement of vitamin C. Dandelions are also rich in vitamin A.(4, 5)

, higher than similar leafy greens such as spinach. They contain 15% protein and 73% carbohydrates, 37% of which is fiber (27% of the leaves are fiber) [18]. The leaves also contain smaller amounts of over two dozen other nutrients, and are a significant source of beta carotene (0.03% net weight), lutein and zeaxanthin (combined 0.066% net weight) [19]. A cup of dandelion leaves contains 112% daily recommendation of vitamin A, 32% of vitamin C, and 535% of vitamin K and 218 mg potassium, 103 mg calcium, and 1.7 mg of iron[20]]link

The only thing deer can eat that humans can't are mushrooms and poison ivy. Which any human with common sense shouldn't be eating anyways.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Rain water is not usually as clean as people think it should be - if in doubt try to boil it, or use a puri tab.

Never eat yellow snow

A whistle blast carries far further and is much more distinctive than the human voice.

Tampons and condoms have more uses then they were intended for - for instance a condom is a very good instant sterile dressing, say for an arm wound, just snip a hole in the end... Actually on a sunny day your supposed to be able to start a fire with about half a pint of water - put it in the jhonney and use your hands to form a kinda lens to focus the light (never tried that one)

Rabbits are dumb and taste real good.

Don't die.. It ruins your day.

Your companions are dumb and as time goes on and you get hungrier they start to look like they will taste real good!

In a lightning storm don't fly a kite - that's just stupid. Try not to set a tent in a high point - have as much in your surrounding area higher than you if possible - don't set the tent too close to trees buildings etc... The ground is likely to be wet, the electricity can track.

When you get a chance to eat, eat as much as you can or store it for later - don't waste food, you might miss it when it's gone!

But on the other hand rationing might be important...

[edit on 27/8/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Better be careful with that one. A deer can eat poison ivy with no ill effects. Beyond that, there are probably other things that you really wouldn't want to try.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
How about when running from a bear, remember you don't have to be faster than the bear, just be faster than the person you are with. Also remember when trying to escape from a bear, climb a tree. It helps you to find out what kind of bear it is. If it climbs up after you it is a black bear. If it knocks the tree down it is a grizzly. Just a little help.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Remind me never to go camping with you!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
In the CONUS it is O.K. to follow the rule "If it moves eat it".

And I am not too bad to camp with, just not in bear territory.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

linkreply to post by Asktheanimals

The only thing deer can eat that humans can't are mushrooms and poison ivy. Which any human with common sense shouldn't be eating anyways.

I have a grip thank you very much but you insist on putting up ridiculous ideas about survival.

Your above is once again total nonsense.

Deer eat Rhododendron and Azaleas among dozens of other plants humans would get very sick from. Why do you persist in acting like you know something about which you don't? If you're so sure of your information why don't you go try some Rohdodendron for yourself. I'll send you a card in the hospital.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Dandelion greens have the vitamin c, not the roots. Just clarifyiing.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Lot of people also forget if you eat only vegetation it will make you sick, you need some sort of protein. Beetles and earthworms are very nutritious once you get over the fact you are eating a bug. And they are everywhere.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Let us not ever forget that this is a Forum Board designed to solicit peoples OPINIONS....

Everything you read here should be thoroughly researched using available technical manuals before anyone tries anything mentioned here.

(Especially eating things you are unfamiliar with)

I can point people in the right direction if any of you are looking for further information on any subject; but I will caution you;

Believe half of what you see and less of what you hear and read...

Semper

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

DUDE

With all due respect. You keep yelling at me for doing the same thing you are doing.

Dandelion root provides vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin B complex, as well as zinc, iron and potassium. Because of its iron content, it is widely used as a remedy for liver ailments, and has a diuretic effect that can help rid the liver of toxins. Potassium is also necessary for proper kidney function, and can help lower blood pressure. Vitamins A, C and B complex are all important for heart health, and there is some suggestion that dandelion root may help lower cholesterol.

dandelion root

The thread is supposed to be just for fun. No need for the animosity.

If I was stating it as FACT I wouldn't of said: I heard once. Which means do your own research.

And your only half right on the rhododendruns.

Because blueberries and cranberries are also in the rhododendrun family. Which if you came across those, your gonna wanna eat them.

In my own research though, I came across this which I thought was interesting about deer.

Grass doesn't provide much nutrition for deer. They only eat it out of necessity, or because other resources are rare. So if deer are grazing on grass and bushes it means there is overpopulation or a food shortage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join