It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi: Religion or Fantasy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2003 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Is this "Jedi" thing for real or is everyone just trying to get a good laugh? My comments may surprise you.

What do all religions have in common?

Not exactly sure? Me either. Still confused? Me too!

Maybe that is the problem! People want to have multiple faiths at one time, but who can? If you have a religion, then you break the rules, you apparently aren't a good member of your religion. On the other hand, what does Jedism support?

Multifaith concepts:
Roughly, "Jedism" combines a type of Christianity and the emaculate conception, Taoism and balance, Zen Buddhism and warrior monks, Shintoism and a code of honor, Hinduism with a dynamic god force, and many more elements that most people cannot begin to imagine. How can you go wrong when your life and your choices are FINALLY up to YOU!? I think the only religious restriction in Jedism is that you must continuously grow spiritually and physically. What's wrong with that?

Good vs Evil based on the truth:
Although nearly everyone on the planet would like to believe that "Good" is the overpowering force, we all know that isn't true. I doubt anyone could even count the number of times the "Evil/Negative" solution has played out in their lives, perhaps by their own doing. Jedism presents a simple argument. "Good and evil need balance." It may be great to believe we are surrounded by angels, always do the right thing, and are all going to Heaven/Nirvana, but then reality strikes. Jedism isn't pulling anything over our eyes. Evil is evil and evil counters good. The balance or extremeism to either end of this "alignment-pole" is up to the individual. You may strive to be a Jedi (good), but your best friend might be a Sith (evil) and you both live with that knowledge that you have made different choices are will live with your choices.

Allowing questions, not blindness:
Let's get really honest. Who wants to question their faith but is afraid of being struck by lightning? Probably a whole lot of you. Jedism encourages questions and self-exploration and self-evolution. When was the last time you heard a Jedi say, "Shut up and know your role!" The man/woman who asks more questions gets more answers. The better the questions, the better the answers. Your religion evolves with you. This is what I believe Jedism is striving for. I don't know how many times I've gone to church and told just to "believe" the story as an ultimate truth. Well I don't buy that explanation anymore.

A connection with the god force:
Some call It God, some believe It is multiple gods, while others see It as ancestors or spirits. Others find It to be kings, while some call It chi or ki/qi or prana. What is this this "It" we are speaking of? Well, It is The Force; what else? Why would people flock to such a "special effects" concept of Hollywood? Maybe because it is a good way to remove a name, a face, a conception, and/or a lie that we don't want to live with anymore. Yes, Jedism claims that the force is actually a relationship between nature/the universe and mankind. Is this not true? In specific terms, I doubt there are midichlorians that "do the will of the Force," but the fact that people want to have a mental, spiritual, and physical relationship with their god-figures is no surprise. Does the concept of the Force not support this? Or is the truth in the fact that we all want to be "Kung Fu Fighting" deep down inside?

Now for the negative aspects. How many geeks are going to sign up to be a Jedi just so they can feel cool? Probably a whole H*LL of a lot. How many people are just going to say they are Jedi because it is funny? Also a lot. How many are going to be a Jedi because they didn't really have a preference so they just went with the crowd (referring to the census)? Probably more than the other categories above, combined. The real question that we need answered is "how many want Jedi to actually be a religion?" I'm sure that number is relatively small. Jedism is probably just a fantasy that people want to buy in to. It is a way to break out of their bodies and become supermen/women. They can live in a fantasy and hope that one day they will be a part of something bigger and better than where they are in life. This brings up psychological problems or just playful fantasy roleplaying.

So is Jedism a real religion? Probably not. Could it be? Absolutely. I would almost strive to say that it holds elements that hordes of people are starving to have in their spiritual and physical lives. We want connection, truth, brothership, a relationship with the spirits/gods/God, and purpose. Why not be a Jedi?

[Edited on 14-2-2003 by Protector]

posted on Feb, 14 2003 @ 07:56 PM
link   
IMO, Jedism would be better off left as a good "philosophy" to live one's life by, rather than try to turn it into a full-blown "religion". Some of those so-called "religions" you've named (Taoism, Bhuddaism & some others) are actually classified as *philosophies*, not *religions*.

Still, if everybody's got to have *something* to believe in, there are lots of worse choices than to strive with the Code of the Jedi...

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 02:04 AM
link   
390,000 people in the UK census (2001) put their religion as Jedi and I would suspect that whilst the vast majority did it for a laugh there would be quite a few who take it seriously, so why not have it as an officially recognised faith or philosophy

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 06:55 AM
link   
What would be the hierarchy be?.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Probaly, from highest to lowest.

Jedi Master

Jedi Knight

Jedi Padawan.

IMHO I think that this is not a religion but a state of mind. BTW I am not a Jedi, I'm Roman Catholic.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 02:50 PM
link   
To repeat a post that someone made elsewhere...

movie
real life
movie
real life

the two are different if you think that movies are real life then you need psychological help.

.. or you need to get a real life

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It's more a New-Age philosophy group than a religion.

Topics of interest are meditation, Martial Arts, poetry and litterature...

ZEN

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
"IMO, Jedism would be better off left as a good "philosophy" to live one's life by, rather than try to turn it into a full-blown "religion". "

So would most religions!

Religion = Philosophy + (Ranking+Rules+Taboos+Duty+Rituals)

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   

ZEN

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
certainly makes more sense than any other religion I've studied....

I can certainly accept a universal "Force" binding things together, more than some old man sitting on a cloud commanding angels while warring with a cast down one...

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Probaly, from highest to lowest.

Jedi Master

Jedi Knight

Jedi Padawan.

IMHO I think that this is not a religion but a state of mind. BTW I am not a Jedi, I'm Roman Catholic.

Actually, JediMaster, the ranking system is as follows:
Guest >>

An individual who is a registered member of our community.

Jedi Apprentice >>

Posting no longer determines rank. There are currently two ways to become a Jedi Apprentice. The first is to be nominated by a ranking member with the minimum rank of Jedi Knight Commander/Scholar. That option rests upon your ability to relay your sincerity of purpose and motive. The second way is to petition the Jedi High Council to be tested, You will be sent a minimum of five essay questions to which the answers will be scrutinized by the Jedi High Council, JKC's and Scholars.

Jedi Knight >>

Demonstrates a keen desire to excel in the path of Jediism. Participates proactively in the forum and demonstrates a continuing growth toward adeptship in the Jedi Arts. Is helpful and has become a valued member of the Jedi Community through merit. An awarded rank of Jedi Knight denotes the Jedi High Council's belief that the receiver may become a candidate for the ranking of either a Jedi Knight Commander or Jedi Scholar, based on their own striving and merit. A JHC-endorsed Jedi Knight is on an upward path and subsequently will be scrutinized more closely by the JHC - it is not a guarantee that they will evolve past that post. This is not up to the Jedi Council, but to each one individually through their own striving and merit.

Jedi Knight Officer (Note: This rank has now been eliminated.) >>

A Jedi Knight who has proven himself with leadership abilities and has become of great assistance to the Jedi High Council. On an upward scale and willing to accept more responsibilities, and offers much of himself/herself in helping the Jedi High Council to achieve their administrative and organizational duties. Able to nominate guests to Jedi Apprentice (ratified by the High Council.)

Jedi Knight Commander, Jedi Scholar >>

Both positions denote an unshakeable devotion to the path, adherence to the code, and a willingness to help the Jedi High Council as well as the worldwide community at large. May elect to be a teacher for Jedi apprentices. All upgrades will have to be approved. Jedi Knight Commanders and Jedi Scholars are eligible to apply themselves to the rank of Jedi Master, and therefore either observe that title in solitude or be eligible for a tenure on the Jedi High Council.

Jedi Master, Jedi Priest >>

A scholar or knight commander who has demonstrated a mastery that far exceeds an intellectual grasp of the Jedi teachings - the heart is also engaged. He/she has become the teaching, and is living the Code. Demonstrates leadership and an unshakeable faith in the Force and allegiance to the Light that is unquestionable. Moves through life without fear. Is a living example of the embodiment of Jedi.

(I am now an active member in Jediism, and have made the rank of Jedi Apprentice. I am afraid, however, that I will NOT post my Jediism user name here, based on the fact that there are too many people on this board who have nothing better to do than to harass people with religious beliefs other than their own, and I don't need any more of that. If there are any more questions about Jedi beliefs, specifically, Jediism, feel free to u2u me!)

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
certainly makes more sense than any other religion I've studied....

I can certainly accept a universal "Force" binding things together, more than some old man sitting on a cloud commanding angels while warring with a cast down one...

Me too...

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The British government made Jeddism a religion the moment they put it on our census forms. Yeah sure they did this under the guise of getting the Star Wars fans to return their personal lives on a peice of paper, but ain't Star Wars fans a bit old for this sort of thing to be aimed at? Damn that movie came out in '75!!!

I sense the Dark Side of the Force at work here!!!

*readies light saber*

(oh btw, I was one of the people who actually put down Jedi on my form :lol

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Thats just what we need down here. Maybe if we put Simon Crean in...

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Why not have jedism as a recognised religion? Because it makes a mockery of the idea of religion, that's why! It was something dreamed up and used in a film, and whilst I firmly believe that all religions are made up at some level, this is just going to set a precedent for any tom dick or tosser creating their own religion. It's crazy.

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Oisin, I know the feeling you have. I used to have the same feeling about Jediism for some time. However, I later learned that Jediism and Taoism are strikingly similar in their beliefs, it wasn't entirely "dreamed up"... it was actually taken from existing religions in the first place, so how does it mock religion? I don't remember exactly what it was Lucas took to make up his Jedi, but I do believe it included Taoism, Zen Buddhism, Bushido, and a few others - we're really no different. In fact, it seems to me that Jediism is mainly Taoism -- just changing "Tao" to "Force", "Taoist" to "Jediist", etc., with a dozen or so existing religious beliefs employed in it, too.
Joining a religion "from a movie" normally would worry me, if that belief required killing or harming another being, or instilling fear in the believers (like Christianity). And believe it or not, there is now a Sithism religion -- yes, sithism.com -- it's these guys that worry me. They live off nothing but hate, and in fact they "don't take things seriously", including religion.
Jediism has the same goal as Taoism/Buddhism: Inner enlightenment. No preaching or judging "non-believers" involved at all.
Anyway, you have your beliefs, and I have mine.

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I'm not denying that it has a basis in fact, hell Goerge Lucas doesn't have THAT good an imagination
But if that's the casxe surely one of the religions you cited would be a better bet than *Shudder* Jediism. It just sounds laughable to base your life on something out of a film that probably came out well after you were born. It may have loads of good things to teach you I have no doubt, but in this case it seems like a rose by any other name smells a bit off.

posted on May, 24 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Actually, Star Wars came out about 9 years before I was born

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Alright fair enough, but you know what I mean... Smart ass

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
There's no secret to this. Wassisname, the guy who made the movie, said he wanted it to have a spiritual theme, and it is a kind of Buddhist, Hinduistic thing; rainbow religion basically.

George Lucas, is that his name? Anyway,that is what he said in an interview, and it was his film, so I suppose we can believe him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join