It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong Link Found Between Concussions And Brain Tissue Injury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

ScienceDaily (Aug. 25, 2009) — Concussions, whether from an accident, sporting event, or combat, can lead to permanent loss of higher level mental processes. Scientists have debated for centuries whether concussions involve structural damage to brain tissue or whether physiological changes that merely impair the way brain cells function, explain this loss. Now, for the first time, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University have linked areas of brain injury to specific altered mental processes caused by concussions.

Science Daily Article

I heard once that the inside of your skull is spiked and jagged and small impacts can cause very very slight damage to the brain. I remember as a young kid in school we would come home with "concussion notes" all the time from bumping heads or falling over. This explains an awful lot

[edit on 25/8/09 by refuse_orders]

[edit on 25/8/09 by refuse_orders]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have had a few cuncussions and a fractured skull at one point in my life.
So thats what happened to me.

Seriously tho.
The doc said I might get side effects but didn't say what they were and to this day I don't think I have had any side effects at all.
I still feel like the same ole me.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yeah i had exactly the same thing happen to me, playing rugby in secondary school was just asking for this kind of injury lol. I also fell of a bike and head butted the pavement, to make it worse the bike then landed on the back of my head and i did it again.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

Ahh .. I thought they may of used Dr Hibberts " surgical 2-by 4 " in the study .

Seems like a lot of these injuries would have gone relatively un-noticed .

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This is an accepted fact. I have taken continuing ed courses in the field of neurophysiology, and such issues have been researched and proven. You don't even have to hit your head to get concussed. Just violent motion (rollercoaster, anyone?) can cause your brain and brainstem, which are floating in cerebrospinal fluid, to impact the inner cranium or just plain distort. The injury to the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) can be focal or diffuse. The diffuse axonal injury is more difficult to trace and diagnose. Falls, bumps and other activities such as violent sports can cause a lifetime injury with symptoms appearing immediately or later. Conclusion: Play nice, don't hurt one another.

new topics

top topics

join