It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No social security increase for 2010 and 2011.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I just heard this on the news and have done some research. It appears they are not going to have any increases for a couple years. Infalation is negative right now supposedly. I am confused then why am I paying more?
They are lying to justify not giving people more benefits. It is pretty hard to get on socail security and it is not like typical welfare. You have to have a Dr's statement or to be over the age of 65 to get it. I am on SS and I have disablity that prevents me from working full-time.
So if infalation is negative then why in the world am I paying $600 for a 1 bedrrom apartment when a year a go it was $500. KCPL just hiked their electric rates 17.5%.I heard Obama is planning to hike rates up even further.
I have had to make cuts in my own budget. I have cut out a cell phone completely. I am so mad right now. Something needs to be done. I was just talking to my sister and she thinks it is going to be like Russia. My sister is middle class and she is talking about maybe moving in together.
I am scared and I fought for my independence for so long.
How do we fight? What do we do?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
bulletin.aarp.org...

There is one senator who is fighting this I hope this person makes some headway.
I am devestated; I am trying so hard to get a part time job that pays more. I want to work more but I am going to lose $500 worth of benefits by increasing my income by anymore than $200.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Doesn't this outrage you? I am so upset because I am trying so hard to get a better job. I have applied for 50 jobs in 3 months time. They are lying to us to justify this. There has been an increase every year since 1975.
Obama is for the rich not the poor and middle class.

Furthermore they are also denying extended benefits for unemployment. I just heard on the news a few days ago that extended unemployment will be denied.
This is so sickening, Why can't the rich take a pay cut or pay more taxes why the helpless and poor?

www.socialsecurity.gov...

So according to this article from the ss web site there has to be a cost of living adjustment.
[edit on 25-8-2009 by dreamseeker]

[edit on 25-8-2009 by dreamseeker]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Many on SSI and SSDI will be lucky to even keep receiving their monthly deposits or checks. I'd sooner trade two years of increases to that any day. This last increase was taken away by my auto insurance increase, which was across the board and also related to full disability for accident victims. ( just like SSI?? ) Insurance is a scam.

These people are taking the money from wherever they can. Seems more like a shell game to me.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

I get $700/month to live on. Prices can not go up at all next year if that is the case. I do have part -time income of $200-300/month. My rent in $600/month.
The do not base the cost of living adjustment on the actual cost of living is what I have been told but on consumer spending. How absurd is that.
Social Security is not welfare; it is there because people won't hire us or we can't work full- time.
Someone acussed me of being greedy(not on here). Greedy! How is that when my bills come to $900 a month; this is for food, shelter,utlities, and phone/internet. I have no money left over.
If my budget goes up even $10 I have no where room in my budget to move anything around.
I don't buy new clothes. I have one pair of socks, no winter coat, I have to make things last forever. I used hand soap to clean my bathroom and kitchen.
I can't get rid of the internet because I take online courses and I need a phone so I can call 911. With the crime rates in Kansas City i would not want to be without a phone.
I would be homeless if it wasn't for my dad co-leasing this apartment.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I am disabled and also living on a small amount. It is very hard to make ends meet with such a small income. The only thing that is saving me now is I finally was able to get into a subsidized apartment and that saved me a ton of money. For the first time in the 8 years I have been disabled I can actually afford to buy things like good smelling lotion, and an occasional new tube of mascara and I even got my hair cut since I can now afford Supercuts.

Really it is a shame that as always it is the weakest and most vulnerable part of the population that is taking the hits, the elderly and disabled! My goodness, it isn't like the usual 1-2% raises we get are that much in the first place. Last years increase was the first increase that actually made any difference in my budget. I just moved into this subsidized place in June, now I pray that HUD will have the money for the subsidy.

red

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

My electricity is going up next year for sure. I need a cost of living increase to balance that out.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Your dad doesn't live there with you and help support the apartment? How can he be on the lease if he doesn't live there?

There should be a section 8 housing there or low income housing. Usually people have to get on a waiting list for those anyway and I've heard it can take years.

There's supposedly one across the street from me, but I never applied. When I lived in Illinois, they had shared housing, which is to live with elderly etc. and help with simple chores, like shopping etc. But that's an involved process about your personal life and history.

I pay $460.00 for a one bedroom apartment which is a converted motel and it includes utilities. It's mostly quiet now and there's ony 7 units here anyway and it's been peaceful living alone.

Ask social services and community services in your area also. There's church groups etc. I'm sure you know that already. Many people don't want to get involved with church groups and I get that.

Goodwill and or Salvation Army will likely help you with clothes etc. so, e-mail or call them.

I'm on SSDI and I don't know how long that will last with the recent threats and auditing. The system was overloaded already and now they want to do cutbacks. SSI is obviously more of a pain than SSDI with stricter rules etc.

My ex-wife was always looking for ways to reduce our bills with whatever assistance she could find. Obviously, she had good advice from her social workers and friends. That was in Wisconsin and over 13 years ago. Things have changed. Now they have rules about welfare migration and the assistance like the ones they had probably dried up.

You might start another thread asking for ideas if this one dies. Maybe on BTS?

There may also be a group home or shared housing with a disabled veteran.

My disability keeps me from getting involed with stressful people and situations. I guess that's just about for everyone these days and harder to avoid. It can always get worse.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

No he doesn't live with me. I do not qualify for most section 8 places because I am a full time college student. I don't care if it is only $10 it will help.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Since you're in college, than write a paper about it. Someone there will know what you can do. I'm not familiar with any of that myself. I had help from people I didn't even know just getting on disability. One of which may have been a daughter I didn't even know about. Memories are kinda fuzzy on all that though.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Dreamseeker, I, too, am on Social Security. I had a part time job but that fell apart, due to the economy, I, too, have a disability, and I, too, live on $700.00 dollars a mo.!!!!But... I am more fortunate than you are. My rent is $300.00 a mo. and I have a very small 3 room house, with a yard. It doesnot have a washer/dryer connection, so I have to wash clothes on a wash board and hang them out on a line. I really hated it at 1st, but now consider myself lucky to even have that. The water is very high here, due to the loss of industry in the town. there is a flat rate of $50.00 just for 0 water and the electricity is also high. I don't have a cell ph. either and I don't have TV at all. By the time I pay all the utilities and car Ins. and trying to pay off a bill of my Mom's, I have no money for anything else. I. am not on Food Stamps, so food is scarce here. My grand children stayed with me this summer and and we had lots of oodles o' noodles, popcorn, french fries, cheap can foods and cereals, and did buy milk, and the powered kind too. I have lost 50 lbs.. without trying in the last 6 mos.!!!! It was a good thing though, I was too fat anyway.
Now my car is broke down...for 5 days now and I can't get it fixed, so my grand children and I walk to the stores. All within 6 blocks. Hate it, the kids did too at first. Just to let you know, you are not alone in this problem.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Government schemes like social security make people dependent on government. Instead of overhauling Health Care, we should take a look at overhauling Social Security. Bush tried and was demonized for it. I wish I was in control of all the money confiscated from me by Social Security.

Whenever I hear someone say "I want to better myself, but if I do the goverment will pay me less" I just want to puke. This applies to Social Security, and welfare. We are supposed to control the government, they are not suppose to control us.

BTW, I am an able body person and I have met some people recieving disability that I would never want to go up against in a physical competition.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Autowrench:
I hear you loud and clear, dreamseeker, and I know where you are, for I too am there. I get a little over $700 a month, my wife gets a little less than $700. We pay out over $950 a month for necessities, and if we need a car part, or need a fix for an appliance, this must be figured in, there are no "extras" for us. Just recently we managed to save up $300 over a three month period so we could start a new business, which hasn't made a dime yet. We have to travel 98 miles one way each month to a doctor, and there are always things that come up. Getting ahead is really hard. We do not take welfare, and I have Medicare Part D that comes out, plus the $60 a month for Medicare itself. This will hurt me and mine bad, because the prices are already going up in the stores. Bless that Vermont Senator for standing up for us!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
My dad is in the same boat. He is disabled and get a small paycheck. After he pays premiums it is even smaller. Most people aren't worried about people on disability because they aren't affected by it, not realizing that we are all one accident away from being disabled as well.

You may have to quit or reduce your college hours temporary so that you will be eligible for subsidize housing and bills. Kinda hard to believe that they aren't willing to help a person who is trying to get education.

Wish you the best.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I can't reduce college hours it is online so it can only be full time. The problem is if I stop school 6 months later my loans become due.
Education is the only way out of poverty.
One I get my education I can get a better job and lose my disablity.
KCPL wants another rate increase they just had a 17.5% increase!
I will be paying 130 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I paying $600 for a 1 bedrrom apartment when a year a go it was $500.

I've lived at the same apartment for five years and the rate hasn't changed. Food, gas, housing. I don't see much inflation out there.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It only stands to reason that if by the same criterion historically by which the COLA has been measured and increases doled out accordingly that in a time of negative inflation, using the same criterion, no increases are realized to payees.

I know it is a nominal amount for most to receive, but those receiving disability can still be employed at a greatly reduced schedule, retirees the same and at no penalty at full retirement age. I went through all of this with a family member that became disabled, she works at home on a computer now for a few hours a week doing some basic medical coding.

The SS payments are supplemental, not intended to provide “full support”. There are many state and private programs in place that can and will offset disparities with household incomes and those receiving SS benefits.

E.g. Texas has a supplement called TANF, pays monthly and gives a one time lump payment of $1000.00. There are other programs as well. Our disabled family member is quite comfortable with Federal, State, private supplements; not touching on Medicaid/Medicare and supplemental food assistance. I added just her benefits up to be $612/mo. SS, $374/mo. food assistance, $210/mo. TANF, $150./mo private alone. That’s the equivalent of an hourly job netting $8.40/hr (or 10.41/hr gross) on a 40 hr work week.

Many working people don’t live on that much in the US.

mg

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just another misery loves company story to story to add. I'm on SSDI and my part time job took a 5% pay cut due the the economy. Sewer, electric, natural gas all had rate hikes.

To lighten my expenses I turn the water heater down after bathing. I do the dishes by hand and hang my clothes out to dry to save electricity. I use a mini-fridge and have converted my refrigerator into an ice box. I freeze plastic containers of water and haul them up from the small freezer in my basement daily.

I set my air conditioning to go on at 84 degrees and keep the house cool in the winter, using a space heater in the family room.

My energy bills are lower than my neighbors, of course. The way I look at it, every little thing adds up and I have more time than money.

All of you who share hardships in these times will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm afraid it is only going to get worse.

Remember, when the going gets tough - the tough get going.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

I want to start a petetion going somehow to stop any more utlity hikes and to recquire all utlities to have plans for those who live on less than $1,000/month.
I think $60/month for electrcity is reasonable not $120!
What do I do how do I fight. I don't care if it puts me in danger I want to fight for true freedom.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

I want to start a petetion going somehow to stop any more utlity hikes and to recquire all utlities to have plans for those who live on less than $1,000/month.

There is assistance available already.

Check first with the utility provider's programs, then additionally contact State and private assistance programs for more assistance/supplimental options.

You may be surprised how many energy assistance programs are available for low income households.

I was very surprised when I looked into it for my great aunt.

mg

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join