It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate health care !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

There are contemporary records that many pirates placed a portion of any captured money into a central fund that was used to compensate the injuries sustained by the crew. Lists show standardised payments of 600 pieces of eight ($156,000 in modern currency) for the loss of a leg down to 100 pieces ($26,800) for loss of an eye. Often all of these terms were agreed upon and written down by the pirates, but these articles could also be used as incriminating proof that they were outlaws.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Great, so a bunch of pirates can stick together and civilly look after each other in ill health, albeit after service, but wow that's better then the armed forces and any insurance and health care plan I have ever heard of.

Coming from wiki though I hope this is not some kind of propaganda plan to make someones heath care bid look bad???

Peace

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Piracy should be distinguished from privateering, which was a legitimate form of war-like activity by non-state actors, authorized by their national authorities, until this form of commerce raiding was outlawed in the 19th century.

I love that, so if its state sponsored its not piracy, kinda reminds me of some laws and practices in today's governments.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

From what I have read on the Brotherhood of the Coast, they had the best form of democracy ever devised too. The Capitan could be voted out at any time, except in battle, when he or she was absolute ruler. Shares were divided equally, each man got a share, others, such as Mate, Navigator, Carpenter, Sail Maker and Quartermaster would get more, (1 1/2 shares) and the Captain got two shares. There are instances when the treasure would be no enough to go around, and some of the crew wound kill the others, or escape from the others, with the treasure. Bloodthirsty killers all, but they were thinking men, weren't they?

top topics

join