It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember: Our Sun is Dying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Could this have something to do with 2012???
Even if it does, it doesn't take away from the fact that this is going to happen.

We need to get the **** off this planet!!!

[edit on 25-8-2009 by Before2017Victor]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
-sigh-

I just called in to work.

Told them that the sun was dying, and that I wouldn't be in.

My boss told me to shut the # up and come in.

So, the sun is dying and I have to go to work.

Could this day get any worse?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
eh, the sun isn't dieing just yet

in fact, chances are we'll be hit by a gamma blast from a supernova in the sagitarius constalletion before our sun burns out

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
man will be long gone before the sun does,

to my understanding the sun has some 5 Billion years left.

cheers

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
EVERYTHING is dying, you , me, the sun, the stars , our planet,the universe. name ONE thing that is A: either not dying (i.e not ageing, and I don't mean rocks or diamonds, as even they wear down eventually) or B: is physically getting younger ( and I don't mean someone being immature like my wife who keeps on telling me me to 'grow up').

Don't worry about something you CANNOT change .
Live each day as if it is your last, for one day it will be.

[edit on 25/8/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
You plan to be here in 4-5 billion years? For all the good it will do you, you might as well worry about the end of the universe too!

IRM

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

You're all comedians!

I didn't mean I was living for Billions of years. Non of us on this forum at this moment in time will. I can say that with conviction.

Sure we don't have to worry about it, but the longer our species procrastinates the closer we get to...well...still not having an escape plan and our species dies off.

Did you watch the videos at all?

Man, we're doomed.

Doooooooooooomed!

Oh, wait nvm....the Aliens have our DNA....whew, we're safe. All is well.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by Before2017Victor]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/935b4c5d143b.jpg[/atsimg]I'm just posting first hand observations here, but the sun seems to not shine to much thru the thin cloud layer.
Im not saying the sun is dead in 5 months, but some thing is up !

it is either the chemtrails being too dense, or the sun is too weak...

it is not normal for the sun not too penetrate thru a thin layers of mist like clouds .. !!!

[edit on 25/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
GREAT movie about this topic. It's called "Sunshine". I'd never heard of it before, but they spent some major money on amazing CGI and the acting is phenomenal!

[edit on 25-8-2009 by amongus]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The sun will no "die" for another half million years at the very least.

It's a very young star compared to others in our galaxy. I think we will be fine. The solar maximum is all we need to worry about come the next few years.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
eh, the sun isn't dieing just yet

in fact, chances are we'll be hit by a gamma blast from a supernova in the sagitarius constalletion before our sun burns out

only if they force the vaccz. lol good intercept you must be enlightned somehow to even consider this.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
EVERYTHING is dying, you , me, the sun, the stars , our planet,the universe. name ONE thing that is A: either not dying (i.e not ageing, and I don't mean rocks or diamonds, as even they wear down eventually) or B: is physically getting younger ( and I don't mean someone being immature like my wife who keeps on telling me me to 'grow up').

Don't worry about something you CANNOT change .
Live each day as if it is your last, for one day it will be.

Right on Wraith.

Each day might be your last from quite ordinary reasons - people choke to death, die in car wrecks, get murdered, fall down and break their necks, etcetera, all the time, every day. It's not unusual for people to die unexpected deaths. Not that you should fear death constantly, but you should be aware that every day is another you will never get back. Use it for having fun and doing what makes you happy.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The sun will no "die" for another half million years at the very least.

True. Not in 500,000 years. That's a "half million".

It also will not die in 500,000,000 years. That's five hundred million.

Multiply five hundred million by TEN. That is how long the Sun has left to live.

5,000,000,000 years. Tick, tock.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
We should be more worried about Betelgeuse in the orion constellation.
scienceray.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The sun will eventually die, but by then even our species will be a thing of the pass.

So nothing to see here move along.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by remymartin

You aren't serious?? Your article is way off, saying Betelgeuse is hundreds of millions of light years away.

Betelgeuse is a semiregular variable star located approximately 570 light-years from the Earth.

That's still far enough away so that, IF it has already gone Nova (and for that to be a problem at all, for us, it would have had to already happened within the last 570 years' time).

SO, to help people understand....if it is EXACTLY 570 light-years away (the distance is approximate, but we're just imagining for a moment) then if it exploded exactly 569 years ago, we won't see the light from it for one more year.

I hope everyone can remember that whenever you look into the sky you are looking into the past.

ALSO, stars don't just suddenly explode. It will show signs. No one knows for certain, but IF it starts to change significantly, the assumption will be that it HAS exploded, and we are seeing the light of the pre-explosion, which means the light FROM the actual explosion will reach us soon.

THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED, let me be clear!!

Anyway, it would be neat if it happens (happened) so that we'll be able to see and study it!! BUT, it's far enough away to not be a danger.

At least not to us. To its neighbors, though.....

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Thanks, that was the funniest bit I have seen today.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

ALSO, stars don't just suddenly explode. It will show signs. No one knows for certain, but IF it starts to change significantly, the assumption will be that it HAS exploded, and we are seeing the light of the pre-explosion, which means the light FROM the actual explosion will reach us soon.

Actually Betelgeuse is changing and has the absolute attention of many astronomers at the moment. It's shrank 15% in just the last few years of observation. Betelgeuse is a HUGE star and if it goes nova it will be visible in the daylight hours from Earth for many years to come.

Even if it releases a Gamma Ray Burst it poses a very minimal threat to Earth. At the moment most astronomers doubt a GRB will be released though.

Source: Death Stars.

More on topic, Our Sun is middle aged at most and has 5 Billion years of life left. That doesn't mean we do. In 500 million years it will have expanded to the point of enveloping all the inner planets, Earth included.

If mankind is to survive, we have to find a way off this rock.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

If mankind is to survive, we have to find a way off this rock.

Can we find one where politics are prohibited and everyone gets along please?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Sorry, Friend. Still off by a few decimal places.

The Sun was formed about 4.57 billion years ago when a hydrogen molecular cloud collapsed.

skip to---

The Sun is about halfway through its main-sequence evolution, during which nuclear fusion reactions in its core fuse hydrogen into helium. ...... The Sun will spend a total of approximately 10 billion years as a main sequence star.

The Sun does not have enough mass to explode as a supernova. Instead, in about 5 billion years, it will enter a red giant phase, its outer layers expanding as the hydrogen fuel in the core is consumed and the core contracts and heats up....

Our fat and happy Sun.

BTW....LOL!!! LOVE the posing squirrel!!! Made my evening!!

top topics

join