It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A rant on freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I think I loved my thoughts more when I was younger. "when I'm an adult I'm gonna earn myself lots of money, buy a nice house and have a wonderfull life"... recognize that?
Then I entered the twenties and I felt like I had to find a way to function in this society, like everyone else, get a job, earn just enough to tie the ends. I found a husband, we got a baby and bought a typical house-in-a-row. The Plain old story of a medium family.
The rebel-teenage-Me had finally understood what the parents where always saying.

Now I'm in my mid thirties and that rebellious thought pattern is emerging again. I'm not content, life has not turned out what I expected it to be (does it for anyone??)

I look out my window on the first floor of my appartement building (yeah, we sold our medium house and traded it for... the next crap!)
and I see people, lots of grey people who take life as it comes, they may complain, but still, they take it thinking they don't have another choice.
I want that 'other' choice.

My husband makes a nice income... 30 years ago, that income could buy us nice things, now you need almost double that money to be able to buy a house and drive a car, etc...
It used to be a womans choice : does she work and provide an extra income? Or does she stay at home and take care of the kids? Now that choice is gone: she has to work and leave her kids home alone after school. A man used to be able to provide for his familly... not anymore.

My hubby and I had a fun conversation the other day: if we wanted to, could we live our lives and not be part of a society? Not depend on society either?
Let's say we buy land, build a house on it with our 4 hands and go back to basics. We grow our own food, have some chickens, maybe a cow or two for the milk, etc.
A situation in which we wouldn't need anything else then the things we provide for ourselfs. The kids would be home-schooled. We would quit our jobs and live a simple life... simple, but in total freedom!

yah right! dreaaaaam on.
Some research showed us that for one, we would STILL have to pay taxes on our land and house or they'll take it away from us. We are not allowed to home school the children, they can be taken away from us. We would be constantly monitored on our mini-farm.
We would still be obligated to pay for health insurance, even if we choose not to use it or seek medical care.

but why? Well, because we are "registered citizens", we have an id card.
so ok, we don't want that either, what do we have to do to get rid of that? Simple, we let us take out of the citizen registery. That would mean that we don't have a registered adress, we loose our citizen rights, etc... wel ok for us, we don't want them anyway...
and again that is reason for the gov to take away our children... on top of that we would be registered elsewhere: as homeless people. (fine for us, just give us our freedom)
BUT then... a homeless person can't own a house and land and a mini-farm (otherwise he wouldn't be homeless, right?)
So now we are seen as tax frauds, what we are doing is illegal and we can go to jail for that....
So basically: if you want to own something you have to pay taxes on it, if you need to pay taxes you must have an income, if you have an income you have to pay taxes on it, if you don't pay taxes you go to jail.
It is the law of the country.

wow, what a system...

where is the freedom?
On a mountain top somewhere far away, where no one knows you exist, there is the freedom.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

There is an old saying: The grass is always greener...

It does seem like a great idea to chuck it all and go it alone. Most rural taxes are quite low, and farmers can get waivers for them if they are not doing so well. Home schooling is legal where I am at, but it would take a lot of time to do that and work on the farm. The farmer is one of the busiest and hardest workers out there and I have a lot of admiration for what they do. (Many of my relatives farm.)
I can also see one complaining about how they wish they were back in the city after one week of living on the farm and realizing how much work it is.

One thing you can do is go back to night school and get a degree in something that interests you. Meeting new people and the stimuli of the education process would be very good for you. (It helped me out of a funk a while back ago.)

Edited to add:

I think you should also count your blessings as there are many people who live on the streets and have nothing. People all over the world live in metal houses that are over 100 degrees F in the summer and have no running water. You have it much better than so many people out in the rest of the world.

[edit on 8/25/2009 by kidflash2008]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
not to be blunt but, I'm not living the live of that hundreds of thousends other people. I live my life.
You say exactly what everyone else is saying: the grey mice I see from my window, those who think change isn't possible for them, they count their blessings and think of those who have it worse. Wow, what a life worth living.

btw, I have my degrees, used to run my own bussiness, hubby still has his. I did the city trips to Paris, the fancy dinners, expensive cars, etc.... it wasn't for me. Money doesn't make happy, hard work doesn't satisfy, because with all that we do, we keep in mind that it isn't all for ourselfs that we do it, behind the corner there is Mr society to claim his part and his not allowing us freedom.

*sheesh* It's probably just me... everybody else seems ok with it

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Of course money doesn't make you happy. If you have enough money to buy an acreage and build a house on it, then you surely have money invested, or banked or whatever that would pay your taxes for several years. Just a little self sufficient farm with a couple of chickens and a cow, maybe a horse to ride, whatever it takes. You could make a little money selling eggs, fresh milk, garden vegetables at farmers market and be somewhat self sufficient. Can or freeze garden vegetables. People lived exactly like that not that long ago. If you are in the right place, home schooling is acceptable. Living a simple life sounds relaxing and low stress. I don't see what is really stopping you.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hope you enjoy the link.
Let the rebel in you rise up.

The World Freeman Society

:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by catamaran

hey, thanks for the reply

first of all, my op was an in-the-moment post

and the first thing that is stopping me is that, we would still have to pay taxes, even if we refuse anything that comes from society. without a sufficient source of income, we can't pay taxes and will loose it all again

Over here, we can't sell eggs and vegies from our own land, unless we become self-employed, otherwise it would be tax fraud again.
And believe me, especially now with the crisis, "they" take every oppertunity to catch the people that make an income without paying taxes on it, even if it's an egg or a bunch of carrots. and once they got you in their grip they don't let go

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
Hope you enjoy the link.
Let the rebel in you rise up.

The World Freeman Society

:bnghd:

thanks for that, I'll check it out

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Sorry so late to reply again, I didn't know where you are from, I just assumed you were in the U.S. If you have enough cows (six or so) and sold them or calves yearly, could you say you were self employed? What I have done is for a couple of years I used my rental property to have a self employed status, just show expenses and ...do you file income tax?
Build a little one room dwelling, (or buy one already put together) and have a "employee" live there who helps you on your farm.

Do you get grants or subsidies from the government where you live?

Just a couple of ideas. Oh, and don't get a lamb, unless you get a herd, they don't count as farm animals if you just have one, it is a pet. Which my lamb was a pet anyway. And, what a great pet he was.

I hope to move back home to the country someday, I really miss it.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by catamaran]

new topics

top topics

join