It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You people are sexist with your stars and flags..!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
How is it that when a female starts a thread there is much more attention and reward then if a male does? It seems that if you have an avatar that denotates you are a female you will have more attention to the thread you start? I have seen this several times over. Here is the most recent examples.

Swine Flu Poll... SHOT OR NOT? What Will You Do?

The media are really starting to hype swine flu. The vaccines are closer to being made available and the government wants you vaccinated!

Now that we've all been inundated with information both for and against the vaccine and have had time to digest it, I wonder how many of us are going to be a problem for the government if they really do decide to make it -> Get a shot or go to camp.

I'm trying to get a ball park figure on the vaccine stats (to get or not to get) to find the percentage of "trouble makers" so I have a rough idea what I'll be up against.

So what will you do?

RESULT = 8 flags , 5 stars Lots of contribution with little attempts to kill thread.

U.S. preps for vast swine flu vaccine effort

U.S. preps for vast swine flu vaccine effort

Effort to innoculate half of population within months is unprecedented

WASHINGTON - Government health officials are mobilizing to launch a massive swine flu vaccination campaign this fall that is unprecedented in its scope — and in the potential for complications.

The campaign aims to vaccinate at least half the country's population within months. Although more people have been inoculated against diseases such as smallpox and polio over a period of years, the United States has never tried to immunize so many so quickly.

This is looking more and more like they are going to make the vaccine mandatory. I for one do not want the vaccine. If they make this law, what will you do? How far are you going to take it? Will you risk being quarantined for your belief's?

RESULT = 0 flags , 0 stars. Multiple attempts to kill the thread from response one.

The second thread was started 24 hours prior to the other. They for all practical purposes ask the same question. Main differences are that the second one has a source and was written by a male, while the first one has no sources and was started by a female.

I thought that this goup is supposed to be blind to race, gender, and religion. Not so much I believe. I have not one thing against the other poster but yet I still do not understand why there was such a different reaction. Kind of funny to have a conspiracy about conspiracies on a conspiracy forum.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I gave you a star and a flag not because I agree with what you're saying, but because I can.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
i'm not sure if the female avatars on here are any representation of how they look, most seem to be little fairies or Wenches from King Henry's court. i guess seeing as most users are men who are attracted to women, these avatars are more appealing than some of the male avatars and like moth's to the fly we go there for the wisdom that may lay ahead.

I guess the other thing is it's always interesting to hear the views of the opposite sex especially when they are in the minority here on ATS.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
lol, I notice the hypocrisy.

Although you have to understand.

ATS, is for the most part full of nerdy virgins, seeking attention for a 'somewhat' pretty girl on here. Therefore begging for attention.

AKA, look at bluebelles friends, if that's how you spell it?

Flags and stars are given to the prettiest and hottest, that's why some of us, go and choose avatars that aren't depictions of ourselves, just things we like.

For those who MLK stated, for our content, character.

It's ats, though, really what did you expect.

Learn to ignore those, and not ignore others.

The moment I see a hot girl in a avatar on here, I IGNORE, usually after the first post if they seem dull and ignorant, because I know what that will spring about, also for really stupid people, ignore them too.

Problem solved.

If a hot girl has something to say, they'll want it said, and not a pretty face there too.

I got them in real life, don't need a Internet boost for a good feeling :/

lol.

It's the internet, my complicated arse can figure that out, don't be jealous, just make better content, that beats them!

And, i'm clearly sure, everyone on here can do!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
nuhuh! So not true!!! I have threads with no comments or anything too! And Im female..

I know its hard to tell cuz of my elf ears...lol...

Edit : typonese syndrome

[edit on 25-8-2009 by Yummy Freelunch]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

I do not doubt that some threads that have good content are ignored be it started by male or female. My main point is that when there is competing threads the female thread takes the lead.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
nuhuh! So not true!!! I have threads with no comments or anything too! And Im female..

Lol, and I love bashing your threads

Well, only one have I been the 'only' criticizer.

For me, on the internet doesn't matter what you look like, your going to be attacked! lol

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I remain blind like you to the person who starts the thread. I am more interested in the content and what they have to say. Gender should never be an advantage.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

Lol, and I love bashing your threads

Well, only one have I been the 'only' criticizer.

For me, on the internet doesn't matter what you look like, your going to be attacked! lol

Yea I know! You're so mean!!! But I can take it...Im pretty tough
...giggles..its ok, I like a good debate

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

I do not doubt that some threads that have good content are ignored be it started by male or female. My main point is that when there is competing threads the female thread takes the lead.

Well yea, I do see what you mean, specially if the girl is young and blonde...ahem...their threads catch like wild fire..

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Hail to the dudes
Hmm, I am not sure I have noticed this pattern around ATS, but interesting observation never the less

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Women don't have it that bad.

Just look at the members who have doggies as their avatars - we get nuthin'.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Thread re-opened after staff review.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Just look at the members who have doggies as their avatars - we get nuthin'.

Matter of Fact, you wouldn't believe how many times I have been asked whether I am a dude or a chick XD
So I guess having a dog in a avatar may work out well...(unless of course your username is "Serious Steve")...

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Its because a large number of members are horny 14 and 15 year olds. They also friend the same people for the same reason

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

This is probably the most clever Flag hunt I have ever seen. That's why I flagged it. Brilliant!

I flag and star everything and everyone that even moderately amuses me.

What's the big deal; they're free, and it makes me feel good to spread a little love. Also flag and star your friends; its the ATS way!!

But I'm convinced that having a sexy avatar garners more flags and stars.

I'm working on one that will immediately fill up my contributer flag bar and propel me into Platinum GOD like wisdom
so fast it will make your head swim.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

I don't think that's true. I'm female and even when I had my picture as my avatar, my threads got about average (if not below average) attention.

But that might just be because I'm a well-known liberal, lol.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I look at content pure and simple.

Typical responces here on gender constructs.

I have many many threads that go no where.
Perghaps I am a ugly evil female...I have a brain, and thats not liked in a gal by some.....Yeeehah!

Wish this thread stayed closed.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I could care less about stars and flags just as long as someone would reply and add some input to what I post. Though there are times I feel robbed when I think I'm on to something and it just drifts down the forum like a rudderless ship hoping that a high tide will save it from the obscurity of the open sea.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eitimzevinten
I could care less about stars and flags just as long as someone would reply and add some input to what I post. Though there are times I feel robbed when I think I'm on to something and it just drifts down the forum like a rudderless ship hoping that a high tide will save it from the obscurity of the open sea.

If you author a thread that you feel is worthy of attention...give it a bump or two. More than two makes you look desperate for attention and is self defeating. Timing is everything.

<<   2 >>

join