It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW Species Thread:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
i thought it would be a great idea to start a collaborative collection of "NEW" Species found within the last couple of years. IF this hasn't been done yet, lets start by posting new findings here to help establish a New Species Thread.

from May '09 in WIRED Science, they published an article called "10 Strange Species Discovered Last Year". source

Every year, biologists brave the world’s deserts, jungles and industrial ecosystems looking for new species.

And what wonderful things they find. It turns out that the real world is totally like the internet: If you look hard enough, you can find just about anything. This year, scientists found caffeine-less coffee plants, tiny seahorses and a 23-inch long bug that looks like a branch, not to mention a strange white slug no one had ever described that was found in a Welsh garden.

a couple of new species featured in that article are the Barbados Threadsnake (only found in Barbados)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/383dbce40d4e.jpg[/atsimg]

and the Satomi’s Pygmy Seahorse:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a47305077dd.jpg[/atsimg]

Scientists: "New species of worms release 'bombs'" source

Ranging in size from three-fourths of an inch to nearly four inches, the worms live at depths of 5,900 feet to more than 12,000 feet and were discovered by remotely operated submarines in both the northeast and western Pacific Ocean.
"They have a very strange way of using bioluminescence," Osborn explained in a briefing.

-- this next one was nice to see in light of the frog declination in the past 10 years.

Hundreds Of New Species Discovered In Eastern Himalayas (Aug. 11, 2009)
source

also smallest frog found: 'Nyctibatrachus minimus'

Please feel free to add any new species found within the past 2 to 3 years.
i'll update the thread as articles arise.

[edit on 8/24/2009 by zooplancton]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
New giant rat species discovered

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Scientists have discovered a new species of giant rat in a remote rainforest in Papua New Guinea. Measuring 82 centimeters (32.2 inches) from nose to tail and weighing around 1.5 kilograms (3.3 pounds), the species is thought to be one of the largest rats ever to be found.

CNN

maybe not the most glamourous new species, but new non-the-less.
welcome to the Bosavi woolly rat. >0<

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
what's up with the sloppy code?
at this point let's toss this thread...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

Use one or the other not both

[atsimg] or [img]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/830c9f9c8171.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 9-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

You used too many tags. [ img ][ atsimg ] [ /img ][ atsimg ].

If hosting the image on ATS, I just tend to use the [ ats ] [ /ats ] tag. Replace the ones you used and it will look fine.

Love your thread idea, btw.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by loam]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
thanks guys, i'm just using the post options that i see are available. not sure how the redundant code is being thrown in. thank you for your help. seriously. i will look closer at the next code.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton

Cool thing about that wooly rat is that he may be the most giant rat ever found, not rodent but rat, and he is so removed from our expansionism, he has no innate fear of humans, and that, although a new find, is as tame as a pet. Which is cool, I wish I could go into the jungle and get a hyena that wouldn't bite me for a pet.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton

Cool thing about that wooly rat is that he may be the most giant rat ever found, not rodent but rat, and he is so removed from our expansionism, he has no innate fear of humans, and that, although a new find, is as tame as a pet. Which is cool, I wish I could go into the jungle and get a hyena that wouldn't bite me for a pet.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
new species today on CNN.
bird eating frog

here are, well 163 new species. one being a bird eating frog.

(CNN) -- A frog that eats birds and a gecko with leopard stripes are among the 163 new species discovered last year in the Greater Mekong region of southeast Asia, according to a report by the World Wildlife Fund.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0cfd918c5c7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Seven New Mice Species found:

from ScienceDaily

(July 7, 2011) — After living incognito for millions of years in a remote area of a forested mountain range in the Philippines, seven newfound species of mice owe their recent discovery to DNA evidence and the Florida State University biologist who deciphered it.

there have been many new species found recently, these little guys have made the rank.
enjoy. (I'd upload a picture of the mice, but the picture area of ATS isn't iPad friendly)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Oh heres a new one:

The Internet Troll.

edit on 10-7-2011 by Elsek because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join