It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Expanding waistlines may cause shrinking brains"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

BRAIN regions key to cognition are smaller in older people who are obese compared with their leaner peers, making their brains look up to 16 years older than their true age. As brain shrinkage is linked to dementia, this adds weight to the suspicion that piling on the pounds may up a person's risk of the brain condition.

People with higher body mass indexes had smaller brains on average, with the frontal and temporal lobes - important for planning and memory, respectively - particularly affected (Human Brain Mapping, DOI: 10.1002/hbm.20870). While no one knows whether these people are more likely to develop dementia, a smaller brain is indicative of destructive processes that can develop into dementia.
New Scientist

Well, this is just one more reason to get off the couch. Heart disease, cancer, possible dementia, and over all lower quality of life are defiantly not worth laziness, over eating, or fast foods.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Good Find, S&F!
Was thinking of posting a thread along the same lines. I'll just add to yours.

I was searching through some journals earlier today and stumbled across a very similar article published in Nutrients, an international open access journal of food science and nutrition. The article, The Liver-Brain Axis of Alcohol-Mediated Neurodegeneration: Role of Toxic Lipids, refers to neurodegeneration as resulting from insulin resistance, a disease that is closely associated with excessive alcohol intake.

In the CNS, insulin/IGF-1 signaling cascades have critical roles in regulating and maintaining
cognitive and motor functions. Insulin, IGF-1 and IGF-2, and their corresponding receptors are abundantly expressed in various cell types throughout the brain, including neurons [17,20,21] and oligodendroglia [22-24]. Insulin and IGF signaling pathways utilized by CNS neurons are virtually identical to those present in liver, except that IRS-2 instead of IRS-1 is the major docking protein [17,25]. The highest levels of insulin and IGF polypeptide and receptor gene expression are distributed in the hypothalamus, temporal lobe, and cerebellum [17], i.e., major targets of ethanolmediated neurotoxicity. Since insulin and IGF mediate neuronal and/or oligodendroglial survival, plasticity, energy metabolism, and neurotransmitter function [17,26-29], sustained impairments in their
corresponding signal transduction cascades would have dire consequences with respect to cognitionand behavior
Emphasis Added

Alzheimer's has already been linked to Insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia and type 2 diabetes. These findings further support the notion that neurological disorders may be caused, or developmentaly hastened, by dietary bad habits. Namely, those that cause hyperglycemia and insulin resistance......Carbohydrates.

Heart disease, cancer, possible dementia, and over all lower quality of life are defiantly not worth laziness, over eating, or fast foods.

I see where you're going with this, and I know that you mean well, but, what you eat is 75%; over eating and sedintary lifestyles/laziness are 5%; genetics is possibly 15% at most.

Once again, great find......nothing like corroboration.

-Dev

[edit on 24-8-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

new topics

join