It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeremy Scahill Slams NBC's Chuck Todd On "Real Time With Bill Maher

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Jeremy Scahill Slams NBC's Chuck Todd On "Real Time With Bill Maher

www.alternet.org

Scahill forcefully criticized journalists and lawmakers for treading lightly Blackwater and its role in CIA assassinations.

Scahill, who has written a popular book about Blackwater, had scathing comments about the organization, calling it "Erik Prince's Christian supremacist fighting force to eliminate Muslims and destroy Islam globally, and then they bill taxpayers again for this killing that they're doing and they're not held to the same standard as soldiers."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Scahill is great!
And he's so right too, very little has been done media wise when you think of the depth of corruption.

It's important that people like Jeremy are still around.

I remember a long time ago he was on some show accepting calls, one of the callers said "Why do you keep mentioning Erik Prince's religious backround, why does it matter?"

Well I think the answer is now pretty clear.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

ModernAcademia, I loved Scahill's book.

I created these two threads because of his book.

Blackwater : Right-Wing Conservative America, Whether You Like It Or Not...

...and to balance the other...

Blackwater : Left-Wing Liberal America, & Shifting Alliance, Leading Because It's For Our Future...

Companies like Blackwater/Xe and their competitors are exactly what is wrong with our nation.

I may speak ill of violence, but I want a military totally under Constitutional control.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Chuck Todd has White House issued knee pads. Just another in a long line of spineless media members who look the other way for a career.

Peace

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Chuck Todd has White House issued knee pads. Just another in a long line of spineless media members who look the other way for a career.
Peace

And the great thing is that so many of them don't feel at all constrained by political affiliation. As long as you're in government...you get a free pass!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Wow.

It occurs to me that is the whole problem with our current situation with government no one is holding them accountable.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Anyone got any info on that the HUGE military Embassy in Iraq was builty by slave labor?

Everyone should watch this video

reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Thanks for the links
i'll check them out!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I have just completed a Masters of International Relations - Masters of Contemporary Political Theory I specialized in the outsourcing of the military and its destabilization of sovereignty focusing on artificial intelligence and robotic warfare in corporate military activity -

The are good and bad points to a private military - nations tend to use them on a wholesale cause for emotional and idealistic purposes, such as religion, where as corporate armies tend to be used for financial gain -

Here we have a corporate army being sued for idealistic reasons - the most dangerous of ALL the forms.

happy to answer any questions regarding this highly complex but ultimately the most important aspect of all of modern humanity - the means to violence is the most important aspect of all of life -

glad to see people are onto this kind of thing.

Please read Peter Singer - Corporate Warriors and Wired for War - most important books ever written on the subject, he is the head of the Brookings institute.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Here we have a corporate army being sued for idealistic reasons - the most dangerous of ALL the forms.

Well, in a system that is neither a military dictatorship nor a police state, those who fight our wars and enforce our laws must be answerable to society at large through its democratically elected government. Anything less is a perversion of our values.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

OK, we're all aware of the bad reasons for using military contractors, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the good reasons are? And please don't list any competitve bidding/cost-effective rationale, we've all heard that before. Nobody, but nobody can match the government for bulk buying power. Got anything new to add?

P.S. - Guarding embassies used to be a post of honor back when I joined the Marines, why do Xe guys get the cherry postings?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

I forgot to mention that I had wanted to start a thread on robotic warfare and the ethical and practical considerations it entails. I dearly wish you would start a thread on that given your knowledge of the subject!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Actually your Commander in Cheif is just that - secondly your entire country is based on the military industrial complex with over 60% of your resources dedicated to warfare - you are a military country. Wars may be started without congressional approval - it is only a tradition that approval is sought, that was Cheney's whole bent, so it is basically a military at the disposal of one man - which makes it a military dictatorship. When you consider that the President of the US HAS to be Christian - there is no way a non Christian would even be allowed near the joint - you have the hat trick of a military, religious dictatorship - not even Pakistan is that backward.

Beyond that I don't think you even understood the complexities of what I was talking about - if you are interested, fine I will explain - otherwise - you can stay in the dark.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by audas]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by audas

OK, we're all aware of the bad reasons for using military contractors, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the good reasons are? And please don't list any competitve bidding/cost-effective rationale, we've all heard that before. Nobody, but nobody can match the government for bulk buying power. Got anything new to add?

P.S. - Guarding embassies used to be a post of honor back when I joined the Marines, why do Xe guys get the cherry postings?

Rapid deployment, flexible, theater specific forces, divestment of responsibility (arms length accountability), geo-political independence, NGO security, market security (Shell in Nigeria), non delineated demarcations - pirates in international waters, market responsiveness (most modern weapons are made outside of the military machine in private corporations, skunk works etc), corporate efficiencies, (wal-mart style chain supply, etc), corporate expertise (literally miles ahead of the military on most levels - believe it), however as I have mentioned the most important factor is that the military as a function of nationalism is rife with emotionally driven means and ends - this is the most dangerous form of rationale behind the military in all of history - the ideals of modern warfare led to the greatest catastrophies of all of modern history - purely market driven rationale delivers results driven, diminished warfare - the most dangerous and destructive warfare is when you "take democradcy" to other countries - this is what America does and is no different to taking communism, Islam, Christianity or any other belief as a cuase celebre for war -

Removing the capacity from national to corporate structures places it in the hands of considered, rationale ends driven confrontation - which will always be ameliorated by the concept of profit, loss and the opportunity for negotiation - this is exactly what the neo-liberal internconected political economy has shrived for -

rampant nationalism, parochialism and feverish patriotism are the most dangerous elements ever to be allowed into the military - removing them to a more considered, calculating environment free of emotion and ideals sets up a more balanced environment -

The main reason for the destructiveness of the 20th century was rampant nationalism, national armies, and wars of ideas - let me know if you are following this so far -

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by audas

I forgot to mention that I had wanted to start a thread on robotic warfare and the ethical and practical considerations it entails. I dearly wish you would start a thread on that given your knowledge of the subject!

I respond to it when it comes up - however here is the reality in a nut shell - this will go in only ONE direction - humans are going to be taken out of the loop entirely - military language - they simply will not be involved - there will be objective driven engagements where entire theaters are operated by fully autonomous swarming bots which act intelligently to achieve objectives in unison. The truth of this however is that like all military escalations all relevant nations are developing the same capacities - hezbollah during the last war with Lebanon was using drones and hacked directly into the IDF military satellites and were monitoring senior command communications and even had access to the conversations of the leaders at home - and thats a fact - anyway - the reality is that the weapons are reaching a point where they are going to being developed to engage specifically with out bots - the entire point of warfare is becoming almost irrelevant to what it was -

Second to this is the pinnacle of weaponisation with EMP weapons which simply knock out all these bots - attack satellites which destroy other satellites in space, etc.

The capacity of robots in the active battle sphere today is massive- people have almost no idea - none. At the start of the 2nd gulf war there were less than 15 robots in iraq, there are now well over 150,000 - from insect robots to huge autonomous loitering bots with semi-nuclear/ regenerating capacity both aerial and aquatic lurkers. Full scale Artificial Intelligence has apparently been developed, it is being scaled, the OFFICIAL projection of autonomous infantry with AI capacity replacing standard marines in the battle sphere is around 2018 with 2020 being the absolute latest - there are space planes in operation right now which are self sustaining, are able to re-enter the atmosphere for nuclear strikes anywhere on earth within 3 minutes - a non-strike returns the plane to orbit - strike returns it to base - FULLY AUTONOMOUSLY - already in place and operating.

There are autonomous sentries operating throughout Iraq - Metal Storm has been adapted to missile defense turrets from battle ships - these are affectionately known as R2D2's. _ I digress -

The reality is that warfare is becoming obsolete for humans to engage in - simply not feasible, already we have seen an almost complete end to modern warfare between developed nations - nothing has occurred for almost 50 years due to the total destructive capacity, it is totally futile, and this is the cornerstone of modern political thinking, neo-liberalism.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

there are space planes in operation right now which are self sustaining, are able to re-enter the atmosphere for nuclear strikes anywhere on earth within 3 minutes - a non-strike returns the plane to orbit - strike returns it to base - FULLY AUTONOMOUSLY - already in place and operating.

Really?
Can you give any source on this?
I'd love to read more about this extremely scary thought

thanks

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Actually your Commander in Cheif is just that - secondly your entire country is based on the military industrial complex with over 60% of your resources dedicated to warfare - you are a military country..... I don't think you even understood the complexities of what I was talking about - if you are interested, fine I will explain - otherwise - you can stay in the dark.[edit on 24-8-2009 by audas]

Please Google 'Canuck'...
...and I'll look into what you wrote here since you went to a lot of effort..

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

THANK YOU AUDAS!! Applause if I could give it. That was way
more than the anser I'd hoped for. Just copy and edit what you
just wrote and submit that as a thread please. Everyone on this
site not only would be interested to know that information but
deserve to know it.
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW THIS.
What you said is so fundamentally scary and inconceivable I don't
know quite what to do with it yet. In ways this is worse than getting
a profound religious message, this requires me to do something
about it and God ain't gonna intercede for lil' lol me.
wow. you just blew my mind. This is exactly why I quit reading
sciece fiction 30 years ago - because it just might actually happen.
OK, i'M RECOVERING, I might be able to walk again soon. whooOOoo
my head is spinning. Lessee heere, he who holds the technology
and money to deploy it will control EVERYTHING. But which technology
is the top predator?
Could you forsee China and Russia pre-emptively attacking the US
before they can attain the critical lead that would crush all
opposition? I'm not sure there is a more critical issue before
humankind that what you have just revealed. thank you (?)!
(I was almost sane in my ignorance, I'm not sure I can handle this one)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Ur avatar makes me think that a horror movie should be made about a crazy insane and very large lumberjack on a murderous rampage and a closet full of flannel checkered shirts with bloodstains all over them

it could honestly be quite interesting!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

I will check into those books.

I know what I know of war and having mercenaries leading is not something I want whatsoever.

The Brookings Institution is a think-tank, nothing more than a paid policy adviser.

Whether it is really bi-partisan or not is questionable.

Think-tanks are generally all about how to influence the money right out of our pockets.

P.N.A.C., another think-tank, did just that by being paid to lie to us to get us into the ignorant Iraq War.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Fantastic video
I'm glad to see the other guests were mostly quiet while Jeremy was talking.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join