It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Africa Wants $67 Bln a Year in Global Warming Funds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Africa Wants $67 Bln a Year in Global Warming Funds

www.reuters.com

African leaders will ask rich nations for $67 billion per year to mitigate the impact of global warming on the world's poorest continent, according to a draft resolution seen by Reuters on Monday.

Ten leaders are holding talks at African Union (AU) headquarters in the Ethiopian capital to try to agree a common stance ahead of a U.N. summit on climate change in Copenhagen in December.

Experts say Africa contributes little to the pollution blamed for warming, but is likely to be hit hardest by the droughts, floods, heatwaves and rising sea levels forecast if climate change is not checked.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I like this part, "but is likely to be hit hardest"!

So, this is more or less saying that, just in case Africa is hit the hardest do to "global warming", we would like all the rich countries to give us $67 BILLION!

Oh yeah, they already tried this earlier this year!

Earlier this year, Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi called on rich countries to compensate Africa for warming, arguing that pollution in the northern hemisphere may have caused his country's ruinous famines in the 1980s.

Again, because "global warming" MAY have caused his countries famines, the rich countries should "compensate" them.

In case they haven't noticed, the rich countries, like the US, aren't that rich anymore!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/24/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The poorest country one arth? I guess all those diamond and copper mines dont amount to much hugh

Seriously, the problem is, many afircan nations are just as corrupt as ours is, but worse, and often they hold peope in prison, until yuo pay money. The leders and governemtns over thier, are partly to blame in this scam. IF america decides to start sending them bailout money, it owuld pretty much just mean thier giving money to thugs and murderers as far as im concerend. China has sweatchop labor in one of the countrys thier in africa, at a copper mine. so does britain. IF we can send em money, SO can they then, if thats how the game is gunno go. IF they dont then we shuoldnt either. fair is fair

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Sooo, they're holding themselves hostage?

More scams out of Africa?
Africa will obviously be one of the losers for food aid etc. due the economy. But from what their history suggests, this has been going on for thousands of years already. Africa may actually be one of the worlds continental survivors, because they're still here.

When the dollar collapses, we'll send them as much as they want.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Nothing new... hit up western nations for millions / billions, continue to starve the population and build some new palaces and increase the bank accounts of the ruling class. I will also assume they want the money to come from the UN so the UN can skim a few billion off the top to line their pockets as usual.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I find this laughable, we are going through the worst economic disaster ever and Africa chips in and says give us 67 billion as we will Likely be the worst hit by something that does not exist
No probs I will fly right over and bend over the table for you all, I really think the only solution to the majority of Afrika`s problems is a couple of Nukes, leave the earth to rot and start againas the people are the most corruptable on earth and deserve nothing as the majority of aid goes to the wrong places. I say sorry Africa charity begins at home

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
What these African countries are doing is setting themselves up to make some money now that most "rich" countries leaders have been taken in by the "man made" global warming idea and are now trying to cut their carbon output in their countries.

So, being that these rich countries now THINK that they are causing "global warming, it seems like these African countries are now blaming the "man made global warming", that these rich countries seem to think they are causing, for all their environmental problems and want to be compensated for them.

Kind of hard to say NO when you believe your country is the cause of "global warming".

Thanks Gore!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Yeah, good luck with that.

They can ask or demand whatever they want, but they have no pull.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It is my opinion that one reason to demand money from the so called "Rich
" nations is because they are the ones that came into Africa and made promises in return for gaining the mineral wealth that the continent holds.
Due to the lack of education in most parts of the continent the leaders of those times agreed to deals without being able to think of what the end result may be.
Once the mineral wealth was signed over the only way to keep raping the land was to corrupt leaders and create wars. On a continent where desperation rules it is easy to turn somebody into a corrupt warmongering criminal. All you have to do is show them a little of the "good" life and then threaten to take it away from them. Suddenly it is every man for himself and anarchy reigns.
I do agree that some of the demanded money will never make it to the people that need it the most and that the global warming farce is being used as an excuse though.
Another theory that none of you have considered is that perhaps this is the perfect opportunity for your government to put global warming taxes in place so that they can fleece you of every last cent you have. This has nothing to do with Africa, it all has to do with your government milking their own people.... for the benefit of the few that run the show....
Wow, come to think of it, it is starting to sound a little like Africa isn't it?

Enjoy

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This is actually a bigger problem than many here might think. To explain things in brief you have to consider the fact that in the world today we are moving towards a greener environment. Today there are agreements or at least people are pushing towards agreements forcing major world powers to become greener. At some point in time this is going to be extended to all countries such as those in Africa.

More developed nations are going to be able to make the switch over time. Countries that are not as developed are not going to be able to make the switch, however if the switch is required then it is going to further slow the development of these countries. At that point these countries are going to be forced to rely on more developed countries to support them.

So basically it's going to come down to the fact that we started this trend and I believe we are going to support the countries who wish to follow in our footsteps. Global Warming/Climate Change debate aside, we did start this.

I also believe that it is incredibly ignorant to write off the governments of every country in Africa as a bunch of murderers and thugs.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
And then they woke up...

I'd also like 67 billion to be handed over my way and I'm sure I can think of a better reason than they gave too.

Small bills please.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think droughts are their biggest problems in Africa.

Instead of sending them billions and billions of dollars, why not send them a whole bunch of desalination plants and pipes to send the water where they need it the most!

I believe that would be more helpful than just giving them a bucket full of money.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
i think we should pull the plug on aid money for the Africa, it's a waste of funds only keeping local dictator like Robert 'mad bob' Mugabe in power.

What we should give Africa is Bono, he can stay there for the rest of his life (i hate that annoying wanker!)

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Instead of sending them billions and billions of dollars, why not send them a whole bunch of desalination plants and pipes to send the water where they need it the most!

I believe that would be more helpful than just giving them a bucket full of money.

That would recall using too much common sense to solve the problem.

The solution is always throw more money at the problem when it comes to politicians.

top topics

join