It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS-128 Mission

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
August 24- Discovery is planned for a Launch at Canaveral 1:36am EDT (05:36AM GMT) for another mission to the ISS.
Conditions so far look good for a launch tonight.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Cool, thanks for the heads up, I was not aware they were launching again. Hope all goes well.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I was not aware they were launching again

I wasn't either. Is it just me, or, are these launches just popping out of the blue recently?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Seems like it, but I just do not pay much attention to shuttle missions anymore to be honest.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
A shame because by my count NASA only have about 4 or 5 launches left in the Shuttles planned life schedule. Until Orion is completed the ISS will have to rely on Soyuz missions from Russia for Supplies and crew changeovers.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I wish I could go tonight, but I'm feeling under the weather as it is. An all night driving session is not what the doctor ordered...
Hope the launch goes off safely, maybe I'll be able to catch a bit of it from the yard.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Does anyone know why it is being launched at night?

I thought that after the Columbia disaster they weren't going to do anymore night launches. I think they thought it would be easier to see if foam flaked off in the daylight.

So why the switch in policy?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It's 60% no-go at this point. T-storms off the coast.

Here's a pretty cool site with video covering the launch.

spaceflightnow.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

I never heard of a "no night launch" policy post-Columbia (STS107), which was not launched at night according to this list...

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm watching on the NASA Satellite TV channel now....they are closing the hatch, so I guess the countdown is still on??

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I think this will go down to the wire. Lightning strike 4 miles from the pad about 20 minutes ago.

Last go no-go hold at T-9 minutes

I'm betting on a "go"

EDIT: I shouldn't say it's the last go no-go. It's the last built-in hold to synch up with the planned launch time of 1:36am EDT.

They can still scratch at any time up until launch, of course.

www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Zarniwoop]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

You could here it, during launch status check....the delay in the one controller's response. The call currently is "No-Go".

Decision to scrub, has been made.

add: Setting up for the 24-hour launch scrub turnaround.

Gotta love Florida weather!!!

[edit on 25 August 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Bummer.

70% chance of acceptable weather tomorrow... See ya at 1:10 am EDT

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Not sure I'll make it, tomorrow night!

Well, keeping fingers crossed.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
So the mission has officaly been delayed for 24 huors? damn
I was just outside (southwest CT) waiting to hopefully see it! nothing. SOme humidity and clouds in the air, but many stars are out.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

I never heard of a "no night launch" policy post-Columbia (STS107), which was not launched at night according to this list...

www.nasa.gov...

I wasn't saying that the Columbia tradgedy was caused because it was launched at night, but that after the disaster they weren't going to launch in the dark anymore so they could better observe any debris.

Anyway looking for something where NASA said this I came across this article that cleared it all up for me.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Mystery solved... And by JimO of all people

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I stand (well, sit on the couch) corrected

Thanks for the link

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Scrubbed again tonight

Launch of Discovery is targeted for no sooner than Thursday night/Friday morning at 12:22 a.m. EDT, if the technical issue that scrubbed tonight's attempt can be resolved.

During the countdown, the launch team didn't get the expected indication when the liquid hydrogen inboard fill and drain valve was commanded to closed. Space shuttle engineers believe the valve is operating properly and that faulty position indicator instrumentation could be to blame.

The post-scrub safing procedures are underway to inert the shuttle and run additional testing on the valve for determining if the theory is correct.

spaceflightnow.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
damn! scrubbed again! I wonder whata going through the mnids of the crew! Why do i get a feeling of another Challenger incident 1986, or Columbia was it? 2003? hope not!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Nah, I don't get that feeling at all.

The scrubs are there to prevent potential disaster.

Those astronuts have waited so long for a mission, what's a few more days.

Long live the scrubs

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join