It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama backs interrogation revamp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Obama backs interrogation revamp

news.bbc.co.uk

US President Barack Obama has approved a new elite team to question key terror suspects, the White House has said.

The unit will be housed at the FBI headquarters in Washington and be overseen by the White House.

The announcement came hours before the publication of fuller details of the CIA's treatment of terrorism suspects.

Also on Monday US media said the justice department was to reopen about a dozen prisoner abuse cases that could lead to prosecution of CIA employees.

'Different elements'

The BBC's Daniel Sandford in Washington says there has been strong concern that i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Good or bad? I especially like a bit in the story that says:

"Decisions on coercion and the way interrogation is carried out will now be made centrally"

Conspiracy theorists could say this is just another way of safeguarding secrets.

Is giving the white house "direct oversight" over interrogation a safe idea? Or more importantly, who has 'direct oversight' over the white house? Now I'm from the UK, but I can see that not much has changed since the last admin. Same teapot, different colour?

Sorry if this has already been posted; the story is about 1/2 an hour old on BBC though.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

join