It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiohead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Do you believe that Radiohead is the best band of our generation (im born in 1989 but i mean of this era today) ? Do you think Radiohead is garbage? Lets Discuss.

The criticly acclaimed artists are probably my favorite, I dig there more guitar-driven work but i do like alot of their electronic stuff. I think Yorke is a once in a generation artist that is just as influential if not more influential than icons like Lennon and Cobain. Also, Jonny Greenwood is amazing musician. He wrote the score for "There Will Be Blood" and also composes. The remaining members are not to be forgotten eather. Colin Greenwood (Jonny's brother) plays bass and syth and adds another layer to their music. But the foundation of the band is without a doubt Phil Selway, both the oldest and most pivotal member in the band never fails to be the rythm of Radiohead.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Radiohead are truly one of the best bands in the last ten years. Very original work, sometimes beautiful, sometimes melancholic but always driven beyond the structure of what is expected of modern song writing.

I am not too keen on Pablo Honey, but their work from then onwards was and still is nothing short of genius.

The ability to change styles from 'rock' to 'ambient' to 'experimental' to 'jazz' to 'electronica' is proof of their talent.

Yorke is such a good front man, yet tends to avoid the limelight (unlike many other British artists), he is perfectly backed by truly wonderful musicians. The brothers' Greenwood supply very interesting architecture to Yorke's lyrics, and you're absolutely right in declaring that Phil Selway is a drummer beyond words (especially his work on Amnesiac and Ok computer) and O'brian provides very mind opening guitar.

--

Relentless what are your favourite tracks?

I guess my top five (in no order) would be something like:

* How to disappear completely

* Where i end and you begin

* Climbing up the walls

* I might be wrong

* House of cards

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless.D
Do you believe that Radiohead is the best band... of this era today)?

Yes. Far and away. They are making the best and most successful (in artistic and intellectual not commercial terms) music currently being made. They are closer in conception to classical music than to rock, although they rock like a bastard.

As a friend of mine said, after you've listened to In Rainbows, you have to switch the stereo off for a few hours. You can't possibly listen to anything else, not if you have an aesthetic bone in your body.

It's not about the individual members (though the conceptual figurehead and principal composer is Yorke). It's about the sound that comes out.

If this was ATS you'd get a star and a flag from me.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I totally agree, the band does have a classical feel. Every memeber of the group is really talented. I cant say enough good things about these guys

As for my top 5 favorite tracks (in no particular order ) :

The Bends
Just
15 Step
Myxomatosis
Idiotesque

Its really hard to decide on just five but these are the ones i enjoy particularly at the moment, it depends on my mood.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Radiohead seems to have a huge following in Europe/UK, but not so much here in NA.

I assume you guys are from across the pond, Europe/UK?

I dont mind them myself, but Ive never really got into any of their song that are not major hits.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well i'm from the Uk.

I actually prefer a lot of the songs that weren't hits, although i'll be totally honest they aren't the easiest band to get into.

Took me a year or so, and then WHAM one day i was hooked. I could 'see' the music in a different way.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I rock out to High & Dry now and then, its just an excellent song, would definitely be on my "best song's" list. The video is also brilliant.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by MrSmith]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The individual songs are wonderful, of course, but each album since The Bends, except perhaps for Hail to the Thief, is a consistent work of art in its own right.

It's like when an artist has a properly-curated exhibition; all the pieces make up a coherent whole.

Radiohead are not popular music in any sense and cannot really be discussed in the usual tracks/charts/man-I-got-all-their-stuff-on-my-iPod way.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Relentless.D

They are probably the most important band making music today and they just announced they are playing the Colbert Report for a one-hour special, Saturday Night Live, and two nights at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC!!!

new topics

top topics

join