It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot with bones moves like you do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

YOU may have more in common with this robot than any other - it was designed using your anatomy as a blueprint.

Conventional humanoid robots may look human, but the workings under their synthetic skins are radically different from our anatomy. A team with members across five European countries says this makes it difficult to build robots able to move like we do.

Their project, the Eccerobot, has been designed to duplicate the way human bones, muscles and tendons work and are linked together. The plastic bones copy biological shapes and are moved by kite-line that is tough like tendons, while elastic cords mimic the bounce of muscle.

Full article
Video

This is pretty impressive, the movements not quite there yet but its looking great.
Another video i saw on new scientist had robots that are being programmed to have 'tells' like when playing poker. The second robot used is pretty impressive, very human like features.

Video

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
S&F, I like such news

We are getting there by leaps and bounds.

Here is the site of the people working on the project and a youtube vid:

eccerobot.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
i hope humanity wll use such technology to rid themselves of the capitalist thinking and make the robots do all the work we now currently do so that we can go about without the restrictions of money and live our lives how we see fit to live them..

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Its the ideal stance to have, I could not agree more. Sadly though i think we will be to busy trying to build a working terminator type robot to even realise how much good could be done with the tech.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I must say this topic is very interesting, the idea of copying the human body to try and replicate our actions is a very clever idea, one which I hope can be developed into something truely brilliant. I will be keeping a close eye on this project, to see how it changes over the coming years.

top topics

join