It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
We've all thought about our own demise.

So I thought i'd post this thread, after a 'certain' member, made a lash out thread, and I critically commented on it, I suppose he had a personal experience, and eventually the thread got deleted.

Here goes.

When a tremendous mental anguish comes over a person, or just a feeling of what for, some, or possibly all, will succumb to the idea of suicide.

Now, in all honesty, a few years back, I killed myself, or at least tried to, failed due to phone service, and medical doctors, but for the most part, i've died before.

After that, i've never tried again, i've had thoughts, but wouldn't dare. Now, some may say, how can you avoid this thought, this temptation.

Well I struggled with that alot, thinking about it, becomes almost addiction like. Yet I found a good wording, that will stop almost ( I say almost, because I don't obviously know everyone in the world
) anyone in their tracks, and seriously reconsider. Here goes.

"If you, do do it, and kill yourself, think of what you are doing in that action. Think about it. You at whatever age you may be, are going to rid yourself of life. No more, as far as we know, This is It, you die, no pearly gates, no 72 virgins, nothing, you're gone.

Consider the pestilent happenings in your life, think how god awful they may seem to be. To you, heck even to others.

Better yet, think of the neighbors daughter who died at 11 years old in a car crash. Think of the millions and millions of children that were granted life, only to be taken away by killers, the ones tortured to death, the woman who microwaved her baby to death.

Think of them.

Now say to me, honestly, that you don't want you life, so much, that you are going to end your life, and give them the middle finger, for the life they couldn't experience, they could never of had a prom, a high school reunion, all the little things we take for granted, these innocent children, had stolen from them, yet your troubles, are enough to insult the dead children, who yearned for a life, yet you find yours so 'unfitting' a life to live.

For all of those, who tried to live, and couldn't you figure, logically still, your life isn't worth it, that you, do not want a cop out, but a way out, it's not a cop out, i'll give you that, but you must give me that your life, is worth living, because I can name you alphabetically a million children who have died, and would gratefully take your life, that you take for granted."

This has healed me completely.

It's not an attack at all, the only thing I hate to see, is when people insult suicidal people, or call it a cop out. And think that by making fun of, mocking or criticizing someone who doesn't want to live, will help.

Now maybe it will, maybe, rarely, it just isn't a good enough case for you sir.

If someone wants to die, maybe you can 'push' them, to a point, but, what will you do when they do do it, you'll push the blame elsewhere, and become a person in denial, you don't want this i'm sure of it.

How about get them to think, beyond themselves, not that they aren't now, but at weak points, we all start to think of ourselves.

I've helped a few people out of it, being the only person that didn't criticize them to the point where they offed themselves, thank you fellow go kill yourselfs, You did no justice here.

If anyone has a stereotype of a mentally ill and suicidal person, bring it forth, and i'll debunk it instantly, or show it is right, but the stereotypes have to go.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think I can say WE ALL have thought about it, when things get a bit too tough for our liking, we think about ending it or how quick it would be , would we suffer? what way to go?

But in the end we don't carry it through, some do admitidly but the majority don't, but what really gets my gall and my blood boiling is those that try to kill themselves but end up taking an innocent with them.
Like a failed attempt in London a few months ago, this young girl for whatever reason tried to throw herself off a bridge in Westminster by the river, but the soppy mare, jumped out over the road instead , and as she landed she was promptly run over by a passing motorcyclist, neither were killed but both seriously injured.

If your going to do , do it right , and do it first time, jump off a high cliff, jump into a river, take an overdose, but FFS don't call the medics when you chicken out.

Now thats the rant over, the world is hard and harsh to people, but suicide in never an option or if it is , its the 'easy way out'. Get over it, seek help and talk to family and / or friends, is if you have neither talk to someone like the 'Samaritans'. You only have one life in this world, and everyday is a blessing. some people don't even get the chance of a life.

[edit on 24/8/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I tried to do it a few times in my younger years, and thankfully was unsuccessful (obviously)

What finally got me out of the modality of the thinking was a little trick I came up with. It worked for me, and has worked for everyone I've told it to who have gone through the same things...

Every morning, when you wake up, ask yourself, "Is today the day I will do it? Is today the day I am going to end it?"

Then write 2 lists in 2 columns. On one column, write down every reason you think you have, reasons to end it all. On the other column, write down every reason you can think of that you'd want to live for, what you like, what you love, all of it that comes to mind.

Do this every day, and promise yourself (and having a buddy to be accountable to helps as well) that if there is even ONE reason on the list not to do it, then you will not think about it for the rest of the day. You have already decided that today will not be the day.

You will ALWAYS have at least one reason not to. The love of someone, a family member, the smell of flowers, heck even nice bewbs on a woman or whatever.. WHATEVER.. seriously. anything you can think of that you enjoy in life.

Anyhow... What this does is not only helps you to get through some of the agonizing over the decision, BUT, it also gives you a laundry list of things that you perceive as being "wrong" with your life, that you can then work towards solving, one at a time.

Do this every day, good days and bad, depressions and not. Because then you'll have a habit of it, and won't neglect to do it during those "hard" times.

It's a simple process overall, but it can be a pretty powerful tool, IF you are honest with yourself.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

lol, FYI, I didn't call the meds, trust me, at that point, I didn't want them, heck it wasn't even on my mind, I was fading.

As for the part after your rant.

Hell if you don't like your family, f em, don't even want to talk to your friends. Heck talk to someone on the internet, at the least talk to me. I'll show you things that'll make your head spin clockwise, and counterclockwise.

And with that, I know, you wouldn't want to just because it goes against the 'feelings'.

You, you got to fight that on your own, then do it, honestly though, if you think someone will attack you, don't go and speak to them, even if you think it will help, it might not. And could do more damage ultimately.

For all sake, talk to someone thats been there, or a completely kind stranger, either one is best, all in all, your in your head, and still alive, looking for answers or help, and either choice, leaves you with want. Not diswant.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

That's one of the things to, for someone who has done that list.

You find yourself 'always', with something to live for, yet you don't want to write it down, nonetheless it's in your mind and regardless of the paper it's on, it's on you yourself.

And it's an eye opener.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I was reading your OP with interest as this subject has touched my life, although it was my father and not I who killed themselves.

I believe it was due to some kind of ongoing depression, although he hid it well because I don't think anybody realised how bad it was. Looking back, I wasn't aware of his depression.

This was 21 years ago and I don't think I have really faced it properly. At the time I just buried it and moved on. We were the subject of alot of gossip and I just wanted to show "them" that they couldn't hurt me with their speculations and that we were a "happy family".

Now I find it a painful place to go. I guess I have been avoiding dealing with it. Even now I have shed a couple of tears writing this.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by YarlanZey
I was reading your OP with interest as this subject has touched my life, although it was my father and not I who killed themselves.

I believe it was due to some kind of ongoing depression, although he hid it well because I don't think anybody realised how bad it was. Looking back, I wasn't aware of his depression.

This was 21 years ago and I don't think I have really faced it properly. At the time I just buried it and moved on. We were the subject of alot of gossip and I just wanted to show "them" that they couldn't hurt me with their speculations and that we were a "happy family".

Now I find it a painful place to go. I guess I have been avoiding dealing with it. Even now I have shed a couple of tears writing this.

Can't place myself in that at all, honestly. Truly can't. I'm not you.

I've shed tears for my dad's death, wasn't suicide, but I suspiciously believe that if feelings were infact involved, it was suicide, he was ready, and accepted long before anyone thought he was dying.

I myself, like to every now and then, emerge into it, and just embrace the fire that is hell into myself, and feel it momentarily, and that alone, wakens me inside to something other worldly.

Still in denial, just like the feeling of, my own hell I guess.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Suicidal thoughts come to people for many different reasons.

Some want to do it for selfish reasons like a failed relationship.

Some might want to do it because they suffer with an illness that is terminal, and extremely painful.

Some might want to do it because they are mentally ill.

I don't think that there is a particular stereotype.

I can understand why the physically ill person would want to do it, and I believe people should have an option of assisted suicide.

Mentally ill people don't really understand what they might be doing, and selfish people, well, to be honest, the world needs less of them!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Well we all have our own opinions on the matter, and likely most others.

It is my opinion that you owe only your parents anything, the rest of the
world are unto themselves.

You will often find that most of the world doesn't give a damn about you.

So in turn I feel the same way.

Most caring and kindness is a fraud, you can see this by the large
number of buildings that set empty and ppl are forced to live
on the street out in the cold.

If ppl really gave a damn, they'd at least let them stay in the worst
of the buildings, no such luck.

We have 19 million foreclosures in the country right now.

If a person is in great pain and terminally ill and there is no hope for
them per several doctors, and they want to "check out" so be it.

Hospice is often just numbing ppl up and starving them til they die.

I think I'd prefer Kevorkian's method.

After all we all end up dead anyways.

The end of your life dishonors no one, it is going to happen to us all.

There is no god, Dawkins explains this very well, as does Carlin.

If you are sick of what lot you have been dealt and feel it is really
just you down here slaving away to make money for other ppl and
making other ppl happy and you dread getting up everyday
I can't blame you for wanting it to end.

Talk to a shrink and maybe he can show you some hope or you can
chart a new course in life, but if you have exhausted all this and life
seem little more than never ending work to stuff food in your face
just so you can get up and again and work some more I can't blame
you for wanting to take the easy way out.

The only reason I stick around is to see the story, that is it.

Like one comedian said, it is just a ride.

We are pushed and pulled by our friends, relatives and government
into different situations and every now and then we get to make a
choice and often it ends up being the wrong one and we are often
stuck with it forever.

If you find yourself dreading the rest of "the ride" and just want it to end,
then that is your choice and someone who was wrongfully killed on
the other side of the world owes you nothing, nor you them.

In Asia life is cheap, so cheap that some daughters born are taken
to bridges and tossed in the river because it is not a boy.

It happens a lot less these days, but it did happen for awhile.

Most divorced women with kids are not looking for love, they are
looking for a meal ticket.

That is why a lot of men look for them specifically because they
are more pliable, and its pathetic.

Usury on a whole other level.

The only thing I ask of the ppl that are leaving this world, is consider
taking any of the super bastards with you when you leave.

If enough of them leave maybe the world won't be such a miserable place.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
To be cold about the idea of suicide, there's a lot of statistics in Europe and the USA that show most attempted suicides regret the action. I read a study that questioned people that took a 'big jump.' Everyone that survived changed their mind on the way down. I have certain ideas that our last moment shouldn't be one of fear, sadness, loneliness or pain. Not everyone gets that choice, but it's something to aim for.

A long way back, a friend killed himself by jumping off the train bridge near his house. Landed on the tracks in front of a train. The driver tried to break. At the inquest, the driver was traumatized (he'd killed someone), he said that my mate had been trying to crawl off the tracks when he hit him. We'd had a party at his house just a couple of days earlier and nobody had an idea. I'm not one of those a**holes that say suicide is selfish...there are reasons why people do it. But, in the case of my mate, he changed his mind too late, the driver's left disturbed and people like me wish that they had realized and changed things. Anyone ever heard 'Local Boy in a Photograph?' It's the same sort of thing. The article below is something everyone should read about this s***.

Just a Smile and a Hello on the Golden Gate Bridge

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I found a good wording, that will stop almost
anyone in their tracks,

Personally, if I were on the brink of suicide, I think your choice of wording would simply annoy me.

think of the neighbors daughter who died at 11
Think of the millions and millions of children
the ones tortured to death
the woman who microwaved her baby to death.
Think of them.

They're not my problem. If I wanted to kill myself it would be because I was unhappy. Not these other people you're talking about that I don't even know. "Am I so worthless that even near death you can't even think about me, you have to talk about other people?"

That's how I'd see it. I'm not obligated to continue experiencing misery just because somebody else didn't get to.

This has healed me completely.

Each to his own. I once watched a friend talk another friend out of suicide. His method was somewhat different. Instead of laying guilt, he pretended to get very excited and shouted "Oh, cool! I wanna watch!" He ran to the kitchen and got a knife and handed it to the friend and went into great detail about how and where he should cut, whether to slash his neck for a relatively fast death, or whether to simply slash his wrists and bleed to death slowly over several hours. After all, he explained, you only get to die once, and you may as well enjoy it, right?

You may cringe in your seats reading that...but it worked. Extremely well. I don't know that I'd necessarily encourage others in the same position to try the same method, but it was so unexpected, so counterintuitive, that the suicidal friend was laughing. Hard. And he changed his mind.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

That's the thing though, ridiculing the people in despair. Lack of hope.

Instead of wishing death upon someone, why not show them what they can do.

I don't know much of the man i'll speak of, but I figure I know the least, Stephan Hawking, can do so much with so seemingly little, and he will be twice the man I can hope to be.

The kevorkians are in context only, the ones who are damned to illness and such, from a week to live, I say screw the family in knowing them till then, because whoever wants to see a family member live in agony doesn't deserve it.

If it is their, full and conscious will, so be it, I cannot affect them, but if there is the smallest glimpse of hope and rationality of a future leader, then let the life be, and make it possible.

My life turned from despair, still in agony though, but to hope and future in time, that it's changed me completely.

Life, isn't as bad as most generalize it to be.

We #, we fight, and we get words censored in the meantime.

We have good moments, we have bad, and sometimes the bad very much so outweighs the good, or obliterates it, but some people must be shown, that with help a good can be created by themselves, without a outside force.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I'd almost suspect he wasn't very suicidal at all, I don't speak of thinking about it people, but the people planning on it.

The ones that have tuesday at 11:00 pm on their date, to the day they have.

Not the kid around ones.

I suppose you also would've had a kick and jolly and a nice set of youtube hits, if he had of done it, if he slit his throat right then and there. I slashed both wrists bleeding out, only to find my family came home to soon. Then I blacked out.

Not everyone is a pansy, and mostly all the dead, had the balls to go through with it.

If you want to die, you will.

Just glad to know, you'd offer a hand.

Even if there attention seekers, you can tell the difference, have you seen a truly suicidal person... probably not, because their.... dead.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Interesting post, Republican08.

When I was 16, I nearly 'did the deed'. I despised many crucial aspects of my life, I hate this and that and so much more. And worse, I had access to my father's guns (I lived in Canada at the time, not the UK).

And as my father had been a staunch gun advocate, he'd ensured I knew how to safely use, clean and care for his guns.

I loaded a browning 9mm, chambered a round and actually, stupidly put the gun to my temple. I had my finger lightly on the trigger because when cocked, it's a hair trigger.

And at that moment, some part of me started 'screaming' in my head, saying no, please don't - it was like an real inner voice begging me not to and crying. I'd never experienced anything like that before in my life and it floored me, so to speak. I de-cocked the gun, unloaded it and put it away. Up to that moment, I was convinced of 'everything' that was depressing me and was ready to do it.

Obviously, and more to the point thankfully, I wasn't.

Because now, in my 30's, I can see just how small and narrow my perception was of the world and how all those things that got me down, really were nothing of consequence and in the end, didn't matter.

I think my point is about perception. Everyone is different and your age and experiences in life really alter your perception of what is truly a "suicidal" moment and what can justify the mind's ability and decision to end it all. I've always been fascinated in that - not the physical means but what people arrive at in their minds in order to make such a decision. Now, my experience is my own and while I thought I was 100% going to do it, I obviously wasn't.

(I've always wondered what that 'voice' was inside my head that stopped me - never experienced that since)

[edit on 24-8-2009 by noonebutme]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Instead of wishing death upon someone, why not show them what they can do.

I do not "wish" death on 99% of the planet, only a few of the super
evil elite get that distinction.

I don't know much of the man i'll speak of, but I figure I know the least, Stephan Hawking, can do so much with so seemingly little, and he will be twice the man I can hope to be.

Mr. Hawking was lucky enough to be born a genius among geniuses,
he kinda wasted it until his body started to fail him, and then it kind
of focused him.

My IQ is fairly high, right near the border of genius when I was 12.

I taught myself how to write computer programs at 12 in 1978,
on a mainframe on my mom's account that she didn't use.

Unfortunately there are millions of ppl that fit that range and so
I become nothing more than a useful common tool, and lately
less useful.

Kevin Flanagan felt the same way, but I am sticking around for
the grand finale that should be coming fairly soon.

My life turned from despair, still in agony though, but to hope and future in time, that it's changed me completely.

Life, isn't as bad as most generalize it to be.

We have good moments, we have bad, and sometimes the bad very much so outweighs the good, or obliterates it, but some people must be shown, that with help a good can be created by themselves, without a outside force.

Sometimes ppl find a reason to sick around, I am glad you did.

I wish we could have the Utopia envisioned in things like mentioned
in Zeitgeist Addendum, but we have parasites who like it the way it is
and so it will likely stay or get much worse as history has shown.

Ppl have to find their own reason to stick around.

I now just work part time, my house and cars are paid for, and
that has lowered my anguish and stress.

At times I find myself wanting to move to Moab and take up residence
in the cave next to the man who has already been there for quite awhile.

I have seriously considered turning my back on this Orwellian-Huxley
hybrid and going to Galt's Gulch so to speak.

I sincerely wish peace and happiness to all on earth, but that is
just not how it has been turning out for longer than I have been alive.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I do not "wish" death on 99% of the planet, only a few of the super
evil elite get that distinction.

Woah, I didn't say that, woah, also the elite, are alive, and I can learn from them, without evil there is no good.

My IQ is fairly high, right near the border of genius when I was 12.

My IQ is bigger then yours whatever, please let's not go there.

I agree, it's all about focus, you can be an einstein and if you devote your life to being stupid, you will be stupid.

but I am sticking around for

You and a million, billion, other people that have thought the same thing.

Sometimes ppl find a reason to sick around, I am glad you did.

I have my thoughts mind you. What if.

At times I find myself wanting to move to Moab and take up residence
in the cave next to the man who has already been there for quite awhile.

I have seriously considered turning my back on this Orwellian-Huxley
hybrid and going to Galt's Gulch so to speak.

Why not mate? Seriously, what's holding you back? Not antagonistic, kinda curious. I've honestly felt a little to that, but no why I wouldn't why wouldn't you?

I sincerely wish peace and happiness to all on earth, but that is
just not how it has been turning out for longer than I have been alive.

Awe, the answer, you wish to make a difference, don't we all, i'm young, and hopefully, with technology, have my life ahead of me, and seriously wish a Extreme Home Makeover on this # hole, we've landed in. One day.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   

but I am sticking around for

I expect that if the humanity and the world are both here in 2013, a lot of people will be killing themselves. I understand wanting to stick around for the "finale." If there isn't one, a lot of people are going to lose their reason for being here.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Agree with you. The amount of death-worship in ATS is depressing. Those who aren't waiting for the 2012 'End' thing are praying for aliens to come and save them from their pointless existence. Others are fantasizing about the Rupture.

As far as suicide's concerned -- when it's all boiled down, it's just an early death.

No-one I know consciously bought into Life.

Some don't like it, in the same way some people choose to leave half way through a movie.

It's not a moral issue, as far as I can see. It's a choice

A little bit of consideration for those who have to clean up the mess afterwards would be a good idea. If you're going to kill yourself, make it neat and if possible, get into a body bag before you do it. Makes it easier for all concerned.

No jumping under cars or trains. Inconsiderate.

Keep it neat. Think of others.

Write a letter and leave it where it will be found. Again, simple consideration

Explain why you chose to leave early. Make sure you don't blame anyone or leave any lingering doubts in their minds. They have their own lives and problems to deal with. Don't add to their load

It's a choice, and if you make that choice, then own it. Take responsibility for your actions.

If your boy/girl friend ended the relationship and you decide to kill yourself .. be honest. It's not their fault you don't have what it takes to carry on with life. So be clear about that in your note -- make sure others understand that you were leaning on the relationship like a crutch and would rather have held to your ex boy/girl friend than walk on your own two feet.

If you just can't stand the prospect of never being rich or famous .. if you can't bear the prospect of being just another of life's battlers living a very ordinary and unremarkable life .. then say that in your note.

Ok ? That's all. Be honest with yourself and others. Be neat. Be considerate. And be prepared to be yesterday's news within a couple of hours.

People are dying every second of every hour. Most of them didn't want to die. So don't expect the world to stop when you're no longer in it.

And that's all

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

No matter how bad things get.............suicide is not the answer.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hi All

I have said this to a few friends struggling with life.

'This too will Pass'. You wont always feel the way you feel right now.

Hope you all have a great day

themuse

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join