It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists suggest dark energy may not actually exist.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Dark energy - the mysterious substance thought to make up three-quarters of the universe - may not actually exist, claims new research.

The concept of dark energy was created by cosmologists to fit Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity into reality after modern space telescopes discovered that the Universe was not behaving as it should.

According to Einstein's work, the speed at which the Universe is expanding following the Big Bang should be slower than it actually is and this unexplained anomaly threatened to turn the whole theory upside down. In order to reconcile this problem the concept of dark energy was invented.

But now Blake Temple and Joel Smoller, mathematicians at the University of California and the University of Michigan, believe they have come up with a whole new set of calculations that allow for all the sums to add up without the need for this controversial substance.

The research could change the way astronomers view the composition of our Universe.

www.redicecreations.com...

For those who are not fully aware of what dark energy is. It is a form of energy that is said to permeate space and make up 74% of the total mass-energy of the universe. It is said to increase the expanding rate of the universe.

en.wikipedia.org...
More - NASA Dark Energy Source
More - LBL Dark Energy Source

(Edit to refine links containing extra information)
---

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

Since it is a theory that was made to explain a theory... hasn't it been in question since its inception? That part of science has always bugged me.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Yet more proof that science has it about as right as religion does.

We also take science's word today as law, like the people of yesteryear took the bible, following blindly.

It's called dark matter for a reason, no one has ever proved it even exists.

Yet for decades we took it as fact, scientists did, as 100% truth.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Well, to me it has always seemed strange the dichotomy of cosmologists and physicists in these areas to believe in dark matter and dark energy, to explain their mis-calculations, without anyone ever seeing it, or having any evidence other than that it "fits" the maths (fudgingly, at that), and yet through the other side of their lips disparaging people who believe in god and all of that, with just as little proof or evidence on THEIR side of things.

Will we ever learn that we just might not KNOW everything yet? Does the fact that they don't even have a full scale model of anything relating to the cosmos, which everyone can agree on, maybe need to be decided FIRST?

Just makes no sense.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
Yet more proof that science has it about as right as religion does.

We also take science's word today as law, like the people of yesteryear took the bible, following blindly.

It's called dark matter for a reason, no one has ever proved it even exists.

Yet for decades we took it as fact, scientists did, as 100% truth.

lol you wrote this at the same time I was writing mine, essentially same responses. Nice

It really does make no sense

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

Scientists suggest dark energy may not actually exist.

Heheh! How about common sense or logic suggests dark matter doesn't exist. I've always thought Dark Matter was a clumsy way of plugging a hole in a flawed theory.

I think scientists need to go back to occams razor... and that suggests that they're calculations for the entire mass in the universe is incorrect. No need to be fabricating such exotic particles.

They don't even have full understanding of gravity, if it is even a real force, or just the bi-product of something they don't understand.

Personally, I subscribe to the electro magnetic universe that doesn't require a third force (gravity).

IRM

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Indeed I've always thought the electric universe theory quite intriguing

My "wonder" really has to do with why such a massive amount of particles as the supposedly "empty" vacuum of space (investigate.. it's not) has always been adjusted OUT of the mathematics involved, because to count it in destroys the data, and their theories.

That alone calls into question the whole methodology involved.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Here is a youtube video which succinctly explains how things went so wrong:

It is a critical examination of the current dominant role of mathematics in science in general, and cosmology in particular. I argue that mathematics should be the slave of science, rather than the master that it now is. How did this situation come about, and is there any reason to be suspicious of the strong emphasis on mathematics which we now witness? Indeed, do mathematical truths equate to scientific truths?

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
i already knew it was just mumbo jumbo

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Alright, first off, this is a great example of how people automatically assign words in their heads.

This article is about dark ENERGY, not dark MATTER. Dark matter, as I understand it, is all of the hydrogen, etc., that is floating around out there that we cannot measure because it is not shining in any spectrum that we can easily measure, or it is hidden behind other masses. That would be like me telling you to go into a dark room full of furniture that has a burning incense stick and tell me exactly where all of the smoke from that incense stick is. To this extent, yes, dark matter exists.

Dark energy, on the other hand, has always felt to me like a rediculous way of side stepping an error. I don't think it is necessary anymore because the advent of M-Theory and the idea that our universe may be changing shape within the 11th dimension can explain a lot of the expanding faster over time issues.

As far as scientists and their, um.. zealotry, yeah, I agree. They get in their head that something is right and it takes extraordinary evidence to prove it otherwise, meantime if you don't agree, your career is toast. It's stupid and counter to what science is all about.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Existing Thread: Dark Energy

Honestly, it shouldn't be called a theory as a theory requires some evidence (String Hypothesis is much more like it). Most things going around in science today are infact unproven hypotheses yet are called theories for whatever reason. Then of course, a long existing theory which holds true again and again and again gets updated to law status. Math is indeed the problem as I stated in the other thread as any equation can be rigged to "test" a hypothesis on paper giving it pseudo-evidence and false theoryship (theoriness? new word required).

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
How does a bunch of scientists saying that dark energy may not even exist show that they are following blindly? Anyone who takes scientific theories such as dark energy as fact, then they have the wrong impression of science to begin with. - and that includes many scientists themselves. I think everyone needs to learn to differentiate between scientific theory and scientific fact. They are not the same.

[edit on 24/8/2009 by C0bzz]

new topics

join