It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Unemployment Edges Up to Great Depression Level"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
when it comes to getting a job, the only solution, unless you know someone, is to move to another part of the country. There are states that have relative low unemployment. N dakota, S dakota, Texas, and others. The info is readily available on many differnet job website.

Moving for a job is a tough situation, and selling a house is even tougher. The situation isn't going to get any better for a long , long time. We will soon see unemployment so bad, that people will just travel around with their cars, and all their possesions they car carry, looking for work whereever they can find it. Just like th 30's, except more people. Just like the 30's and the Oakies. This depression is much worse, and we have many more people who can't find anything.

The government does cook the books, and hides real data. For many people, aal is lost already. if you can't make a house payment, your credit is already ruined anyway. Just pack up, and walk away. You're only postponing the inevitable, because the bank is going to take everything you have when all is said and done. Do you think the government cares about you? They are too busy getting all they can to worry about you.
I predict the mass migrations, searching for work will begin soon. get your act together before everyone else does.

I have talked to many elderly about the 30's depression. The answers to the questions I asked were basically the same. "We made do with what we had", We got by the best we could". If things get bad enough, we'll see make work projects like the CCC camps. Civilian Conservation Corp. Thier work results are all over the country. They built parks, roadwork, anything to stay busy, and got paid cash. My grandfather worked in one.

people might as well face the facts, we are in one heck of a depression, and it's not going away any time soon. it might be a good idea to do your own investigation into how people made it back then. Nothing like first hand knowledge. There are too many people to take care of. The government is way past broke--you do the math--do you see any end to our situation any time soon?? It ain't gonna happen. Pack it up and go before everyone else gets the same idea. Your job is waiting somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mrpotatohead

Your absolutely correct, the problem is with the govt., and MSM lying to us all by not encouraging us to prepare. I'm prepared, but the average Person is trying to have faith in the Govt., and their word.

They need to realize it's not OUR government anymore; it's been hyjacked by evil People with evil agendas.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Of COURSE their lying to us.. hell last month we LOST jobs but the Unemployment rate declines.. and people go "YAY!" about it and the market rallies. I am sorry, but if ANYONE actually believes that BS, and if it's not proof the Media is Government controlled, I dunno .. I am just at a loss for words right now....

And like Tentacles my last job interview: 130 people for 5 positions.

It's always like that.. and I know for a fact I am not counted on any unemployment number.. I never collected benefits, and even if I did this is my 9th month of unemployment so I would have been kicked off anyways.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sucks having to take a pay cut. Not arguing, but the real unemployment numbers are solid. Bob Chapman is one of the best Financial Analysts out there; he is sure of 24%

Thank you, your sweet. More importantly I got a government job so the benefits are the huge help. We were paying 13K a year in medical costs. And no more unpaid days off. Hopefully I will be able to move to a higher position soon. Hard part is getting in.

I am not arguing with you either. But I think that if the unemployment was really that high, we would be feeling the repercussions more. More businesses would be out. The ripple effect would be intense. Your talking about 25% of the population.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Of COURSE their lying to us.. hell last month we LOST jobs but the Unemployment rate declines.. and people go "YAY!" about it and the market rallies. I am sorry, but if ANYONE actually believes that BS, and if it's not proof the Media is Government controlled, I dunno .. I am just at a loss for words right now....

And like Tentacles my last job interview: 130 people for 5 positions.

It's always like that.. and I know for a fact I am not counted on any unemployment number.. I never collected benefits, and even if I did this is my 9th month of unemployment so I would have been kicked off anyways.

just another note down the same line. I have a relative who is a manager for Sam's Club. for a recent opening for a cashier@ $9.00 per hour, they had 300 applicants for one mediocre job. tell me our economy isn't screwed. We are in for some bad roads ahead, roads that will be much worse than the 30's. just in the shear number of people to deal with alone is staggering. I'm am so tired of hearing the BS that the government puts out. They are even talking about some kind of recovery without jobs being created. These idiots amaze me with crap that even an elementary school child would know is BS, with the common sense that they have.
I keep wondering how many people believe this crap they are spreading. there are pockets in the country where unemployment is relatively low, but they are few and far between. How long do you think civil sanity will remain when people run out of jobs, unemployment money, oand any other income they have?? We as a nation are not the same character that our grandparents are, as they survived the 30's depression. A large percentage of the masses are like a crack addict to the pusher federal government. They can't survive without entitlements of some kind. But in defense of thousands of people--if there's no jobs, it's hard to do anything. Recovery without job creation--give me a break.

As far as the green movement creating jobs--please, what a bunch of crap that was. I wish they'd stick that green movement crap up where the sun don't shine. Do you think the average joe will ever see a dime from the billions appropriated to green projects?? it's just a scam to take your taxes, and give them to another company that you don't have any say over. get used to it. This is the Obama way.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

well said, I wonder what the real unemployment numbers are? not

the ones we are told.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Unfortunately it looks like this fall, and winter is when a lot of the hardships are going to become more evident. From reading these People talk about 300 People applying for a couple of openings; well, I guess my Heart goes out to many as We approach this coming Winter season.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Unemployment runs out for my dad pretty soon. Applied for three jobs a week for almost a year now. His issue is age discrimination and over-qualification.

So... yep. It's pretty bad.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Unfortunately it looks like this fall, and winter is when a lot of the hardships are going to become more evident. From reading these People talk about 300 People applying for a couple of openings; well, I guess my Heart goes out to many as We approach this coming Winter season.

I'm reading a lot of uncertainty, economic and financial doubt from almost all of the posts.

Obama promised many things and has delivered on very few promises that got him elected from the people. Special interests and agenda items have been the only promises kept. So, while betraying the citizens, he's helped out the special interests, which, can seem more important.

It's obvious, painfully obvious, that Obama needs some severe help.

Enter Hyannis Port... Obama is vacationing with the last bastion of agenda... Kennedy... Surprised that hasn't gotten more interest here on ATS.

Anyhow, "Obama May Visit Ailing Kennedy..."
(Love that headline... MAY VISIT him? Duh! WTF do you think he's doing there? Someone slap these idiots for me, PLEASE.)

Anyhow, Kennedy At Hyannis Port, Obama Vacations On Martha's Vineyard

Despite a gulf in age, race and life experience, the 48-year-old Obama and the 77-year-old Kennedy have forged a personal bond

This is exactly why he's visiting. All visual elements aside, these two men are so alike in ideology they are virtually twins.

I'm not going to play devil's Gov't advocate here; but, as i mentioned above, it's obvious Obama's in deep crap right now and he needs to tap into Kennedy's brain.

I don't believe for a second that Obama doesn't give a rats ass about America. He may believe that he's doing the right thing. I most certainly believe, and I pose this to all readers, he's desperate for a course and he thinks Kennedy is his last option for solid direction.

Obama nor his policies can't save us all. Yet, I think some people believe that he (and gov't) can negotiate a way through this and that it's not as dismal as this thread is lead us to believe.

With 24% of Americans fighting to keep what they've earned (or put on credit) and not in the work force anymore, there will be plenty of time for them to protest etc. That's natural.

I would offer up this solution for those that are loosing hope: Watch Obama's activities as closely as possible after his vacation. Whether you like him or not, his activity will be the barometer of how the American public should react. We're getting down to the wire. If he can't negotiate this country through this lickity split and bolster the economy in a very obvious and solid way; there will be an uprising because people won't have anything better to do... And rightfully so, since it's happening on his watch. It's nothing personal against him at all.

I'd focus on The FED.

It's is the root of all of evils, I don't know what would happen if there was a complete revolt against the FED and it was dismantled by force but it maybe this countries only option. What would happen? Would we be in bad shape?

Could we (congress) start printing our own dollar based on the ones that we use already? Perhaps in Lincoln's original bright Green Back?

For flamers: I'm posing multiple thoughts, observations and ideas. Tough cookies to you! It's a F O R U M.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I'm sorry to hear about Your Father, and I my Heart goes out to You, and Yours.

reply to post by DrMattMaddix

You touched on several good points. I do believe Our system is controlled in a manner similar to an Iron fist. I think We were given Obama as an option that was never intended.

I am not saying he's great; in fact I'd lump him in with the rest of the Elite scum.

That being said I think he was the best choice We could of made, and probably the reason We aren't in Iran right now.

He wasn't meant to be, and in that regard I think he's having to battle the Power Brokers behind the Private Federal Reserve.

I know We are heading steadfast into days when there will no longer be illusions because the problems will be too prominent to hide.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Well since the whole night shift crew was fired I am entitled to collect. They can't give me back my job it doesn't exist anymore. The problem though being I should have got these documents months ago and not now. It just goes to show how big government can't handle anything. Imagine this situation in regard to healthcare, If those papers were needed for a medical procedure I would dead by the time I get them. This however does demonstrate they are not keeping up with the number of applicant applying. The situation is much worse than they are telling us.

[edit on 8/25/2009 by Soulhacking]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

If unemployment were 25%, my morning commute would be shorter.

I would maybe peg it at 15%.but not 25%

As for the number of applicatns, people need to consider that people are also looking for second and third jobs.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix

[Unfortunately it looks like this fall, and winter is when a lot of the hardships are going to become more evident. From reading these People talk about 300 People applying for a couple of openings; well, I guess my Heart goes out to many as We approach this coming Winter season.

Jobs are always the last thing to come back. It is not like thermometer where everything goes up and down. You can have good sectors and lousy sectors.

I'm reading a lot of uncertainty, economic and financial doubt from almost all of the posts.

Of course, we are in a major recession. Who isn't nervous?

Obama promised many things and has delivered on very few promises that got him elected from the people. Special interests and agenda items have been the only promises kept. So, while betraying the citizens, he's helped out the special interests, which, can seem more important..

This is just rhetoric out of the republican handbook. Repubs really need to start thinking for themselves and actually discuss issues instead of Obama bashing.

SCHIP, Navajo nation water rights, credit card protection for consumers,increased funding for the arts,overturned Ledbetter vs. Goodyear, reversed restrictions on stem cell research, and extended unemployment benefits. Hardly insterest groups.

Enter Hyannis Port... Obama is vacationing with the last bastion of agenda... Kennedy... Surprised that hasn't gotten more interest here on ATS.

Anyhow, "Obama May Visit Ailing Kennedy..."
(Love that headline... MAY VISIT him? Duh! WTF do you think he's doing there? Someone slap these idiots for me, PLEASE.)

Who cares? the anti-obama squad accusses supporters of being obsessed but no one is watching closer then you guys.

Anyhow, Kennedy At Hyannis Port, Obama Vacations On Martha's Vineyard

Despite a gulf in age, race and life experience, the 48-year-old Obama and the 77-year-old Kennedy have forged a personal bond

This is exactly why he's visiting. All visual elements aside, these two men are so alike in ideology they are virtually twins.

Aren't they members of the same party?

Bush and Cheney are twins. So what is your point?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

If unemployment were 25%, my morning commute would be shorter.

I would maybe peg it at 15%.but not 25%

As for the number of applicatns, people need to consider that people are also looking for second and third jobs.

Why? ... I am unemployed, but if I stayed in my apartment all day I would go nuts within a few days! .. I drive all over the place, in fact, I drive more because I have nothing to do. I feel many people are in the same position, why stay home.. you can apply to all kinds of jobs while out driving around as well. Personally I just like visiting different coffee shops to read and write on ATS.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Sorry your having a hard time Rock.

Mind if I ask what your looking for?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Not really having a hard time honestly. I do what ever I want, and I am going back to school next month. Just been a "what ever" time period.. not hurting financially to bad.. I would take any job, I am not picky when it comes to employment. I just hoped to find something before school so I could have set my classes around the job, now I guess I will register my classes and try and find a job around them (which makes it twice as hard to get hired lol)

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I'm an executive assistant in the financial services industry with 15 years experience. My resume is impressive as is my work history. But in the last nine months I received ONE phone call. Is it just me? I don't think so.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Sure, I understand what Your saying, but like rockpuck he's driving around with out a job because he's bored.

Many Financial articles are coming out with big big big experts agreeing on the 24%.

reply to post by Hazelnut

I'm sorry to hear that. Hey, if I was still in business, then I'd hire You.........You got a thinking cap, and then some!

I went, and dug this out of my little thread area; because I noticed many People posting on the official Fed's acknowledging of 16% unemployment........The only reason they are saying this now is because many of the financial papers/articles are stating 24%.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Yeah, my father has been a ceiling guy for about 35 years now, coming up very soon. Anyway, when there is even the littlest bit of work, he is one of the first people they get over there because his work ethic.

He has been unemployed for months and months now.

Just found out this morning that we are going to have to sell the house as a result, so we don't run ourselves broke. The unemployment number being around 20% is believable because nobody is building anything. A major center of industry is around building, which is practically come to a stand still, as I have been made well aware of.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets worse before it gets better. Good luck to all in these hard times.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I've been on SSDI for 5 years and more worried now than ever of losing it over any excuse they come up with. My brother, who's been on disability for about 10 years, has now been served some type of SSI audit or whatever. He lives at my moms and she doesn't have much time left.

After she's gone, the house is supposed to be sold? As-if. If the market crashes, all we had in the stock market of our inheritence will likely be wiped out. I have to wonder how we could even pay the taxes on the property when she's gone.

For someone who's been on disability for the past 5 years, how am I going to find work after that?

One of my kids in Texas is on SSDI now and the other in jail. I would imagine prisons are going to get awfully crowded very soon, if they aren't already.

Imagine how hard it is for ex-cons getting ( legal) work now too.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join