It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Unemployment Edges Up to Great Depression Level"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

The article here is sighting the falsity of government unemployment numbers, to actual all inclusive unemployment. The US Govt. uses all sorts of tricks to hide, and conceal true unemployment. Officially right now We are hovering around 12%, but this article's sources raise that number to 24%.

Also, not sighted in this report, but well known Financial Analyst Bob Chapman has openly stated numerous times in his research that unemployment is around 24%. You can find some of his article at globalresearch.ca.

Folks the Elite in government are lying to us. They are continually telling "We The People" all will be fine; all the while they are sneaking out the back door with all Our money. They are the rats jumping off the sinking ship with TARP bailout monies, and lying to us.

Read the article; feel the blood course through Your arteries as it is mine!!!

Wake Up, Stand Up

Sancho

blacklistednews.com...

featured stories Unemployment Edges Up to Great Depression Level As economics professor John Miller notes in an article posted on the Dollars&Sense website, the actual number of unemployed and — importantly — under-employed people is actually in the double-digits, probably twice the official figure. Miller writes that government figures dramatically understate the true extent of unemployment. First, they exclude anyone without a job who is ready to work but has not actively looked for a job in the previous four weeks. The Bureau of Labor Statistics classifies such workers as “marginally attached to the labor force” so long as they have looked for work within the last year. Marginally attached workers include so-called discouraged workers who have given up looking for job-related reasons, plus others who have given up for reasons such as school and family responsibilities, ill health, or transportation problems. The government figures also leave out out part-time workers looking for full-time work because part-time workers are “employed” even if they work as little as one hour a week, according the the bean counters and number crunchers in the district of criminals

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Not surprised.

When I am living with my mother and we both cant get regular full time jobs because everyone who interviews us says almost 200-400 people apply for each position...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

What amazes me is the fact that People are standing by, and just watching. It's obvious the B*st*rds in Washington, and other corporations are robbing us blind, but at the same time telling us to remain calm.

It's an OUTRAGE!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

I am sure you are aware of the state of the economy. It is still in utter shambles. As your OP states, the level of unemployment is at great depression levels. YET................... nobody is talking about it.

This health care reform circus has successfully distracted the masses. While the easily distracted populace is losing sleep because they think that the government is out to kill off their grandparents, the country is burning to the ground.

Combine health care reform with the DREADED SWINE FLU and you have a perfect distraction. It is working flawlessly. The shine is going to wear off soon and there will have to be a reckoning. I still think that this fall is going to be the perfect storm. We are in for some terrible times ahead... IMHO.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
You want to hear how incompetent the government is when coming to unemployment. I've been on it since January and collecting benefits. Last week I got a claim letter saying I'm entitled to benefits a final decision letter. I should have gotten this letter in January not August six months later! Its absolutely ridiculous. I doubt it will make a difference or that my employer will dispute it since they canned the whole night shift. Still though six months later they send me a letter its even dated January! So when did they even contact my old employer August?!

I wish I could find work but the only job calls I get anymore are scams, one was for a commission based sales job scamming old people out of medicare by selling them overpriced drugs. There isn't even ads in this newspaper for part time janitors anymore.. The online sites like monster are useless.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

It's being ignored in the UK media too.

I was talking to a cab driver a few days ago, his wife works in the HR department of a major company. Where they used to have 10-15 people apply for a position just a year ago, now that number is 200 applications per opportunity.

Our own company has seen a sharp rise in the last year. Where we used to have to advertise to gain interest now we get calls every day just to inquire.

Unfortunately, most don't equate this to economic trouble. The media keeps going on about market confidence and how things are looking good, and people just translate that as "everything is going to be fine after all".
They don't realise that there are several different economies.

Some companies are even posting profits this year, but we have to consider that these are probably the same companies that shed thousands of employees and placed that workload on the remaining workforce, or cut their pay rates to "survive", because they could get away with it.

This will be another blow to the economy in the next few months.
The REAL unemployment level will certainly reach a crisis point. With lower numbers in full time employment, tax income is lower, and tax expenditure rises exponentially with all the programs and benefits going out to those seeking opportunities that simply are not there.

Is the Fed going to print a few more billion dollars to support the welfare system too? I doubt it, but even if they do, how long is that going to last?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I have been fortunate that my employement has been steady through this. In fact, my company is still going strong in the US and has only laid off 100 (or was it 1000) people total. I have been "on the bench" waiting for a project for a while, though, which always gets me ansy.

My heart goes out to you folks having trouble finding jobs. It really bothers me that the hardest hit sectors are the low and middle class. You don't hear anything about that guy who was making $250K/year having trouble finding a job.

Good luck to you all.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The problem is that nobody knows what to do.

Everyone is praying that the Gov. will fix everything even though they are all crooks and liars.

We can all see that the markets are manipulated. The unemployment and home sales data is being completely whitewashed in the stock markets to make everything seem like it is recovering.

We are literally sitting on a ticking time-bomb.

Realistically there is no way, zero, zilch for the Gov to repay the insane amounts of cash they have borrowed. The point of no return has been crossed and it really is all downhill from here. Regardless of the market lies, watch for not only more civil liberties to vanish but even more American owned land and history to be sold to foreign corporations and nations.

Foreign Ownership of U.S. Farmland

(data from the United States Department of Agriculture itself)

Foreign ownership of U.S. agricultural land remained relatively steady from 1981 through 1997--slightly above or below 1 percent of the privately owned agricultural land in the United States.

At the end of 1997, foreign persons owned 14.3 million acres--slightly more than 1 percent of the 1.3 billion acres of privately owned U.S. agricultural land (farm and forest land).

Forest land accounts for 45 percent of all foreign-owned acreage, cropland for 17 percent, pasture and other agricultural land for 35 percent, and nonagricultural land for 3 percent.

Corporations own 79 percent of the foreign-held acreage, partnerships own 12 percent, and individuals own 6 percent. The remaining 3 percent is held by estates, trusts, institutions, associations, and others.

About 61 percent of the reported foreign holdings involve land actually owned by U.S. corporations. The law requires them to register their land holdings as foreign if as little as 10 percent of their stock is held by foreign investors. The remaining 39 percent of the foreign-held land is owned by investors not affiliated with U.S. firms.

A total of 57 percent of foreign-held acreage is owned by investors (including individuals, corporations, partnerships, etc.) from Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, and France (in descending rank order).

Maine is the State with the largest number of acres (3,037,198) owned by foreign persons. Foreign holdings in Maine account for 17 percent of that States’s privately owned agricultural land and 21 percent of all the reported foreign-owned agricultural land nationwide. Four companies own 91 percent of the foreign-held acres in Maine, almost all in forest land. Two of these companies are Canadian, one is a U.S. corporation that is partially French owned, and the fourth is a U.S. corporation that is partially Canadian owned. Outside of Maine, foreign holdings are concentrated in the West and South, each containing 32 percent of all reported foreign holdings of U.S. agricultural land.

These findings are based on reports submitted to USDA under the Agricultural Foreign Investment Disclosure Act of 1978.

www.usda.gov...

Surprised?

[edit on 24-8-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I travel for a living, and I have seen what has been happening up close and personal all over this country. I HAVE been everywhere, man.

It has been depressing seeing businesses close, and knowing the numbers of people who have lost their jobs, and/or in some cases replaced by more inexpensive (legal) migrant workers, as well as companies outsourcing manufacturing jobs to other countries because not only is the economy here bad, the cost of doing business here is progressively rising.

One factor these reports completely miss is the true American spirit within so many industrious people. Where there is opportunity people have found new ways to do business and make money despite the economy and a government that is seeking to completely dominate and destroy the capitalist system.

The people of this nation must realize that together, united in our founding principles and desire for success is how a real recovery from these dark times will come.

We must first get BIG government out of our way, smaller government and less taxes will be key to our recovery, and as you all can see clearly now, the government has had massive growth over several decades, the current congress and presidential administration are seeking through legislation and laws to expand the government more than any and perhaps all in power before them.

It is big government and lobbyists that ultimately has brought down the economy, and there is only one way out in my opinion.

We must remove the Washington elite and empower a new group of more independent fiscal conservatives.

If we continue on the path of big government then there may be no way back... ever.

In 2010 and 2012 the American people will have to make a choice, and the outcome of these future elections will seal our fate going into the future.

Big government is not the answer my friends, it is the problem.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
Big government is not the answer my friends, it is the problem.

Very true. I agree 100% Fewer federal and state laws, more responsibility on the backs of local governments and the people themselves. People need to get it back in their heads again that there is no such thing as a free ride. The entitlement culture has led to a great reduction in the spirit of invention that drove this country for so long.

That being said, there are those of us out there with ideas, but no resources. The money and contacts are being abosrbed into "the machine" and soon the idea of a small business will be a "novel concept".

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
1 out of 4 people is not working? Baloney.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

for every 200 people, 30 are not working or have taken part time jobs out of desperation

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Hey all.

If you think that all unemployed are figured into the unemployment numbers that is not even close to how many people are unemployed. I live in Ga. and the way they figure the unemployment is by how many people are collecting benefits not by how many are unemployed. So if you are not getting benefits then they assume you are working.They say that there is only 10.3% unemployment rate, but i would say it is higher than that. The strangest thing abut that is the dol even said that is how the rate is figured and that is just plain rediculous if I say so myself..it is hard to think about the future when you can barely get through the present...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I agree with Your opinion We are headed into the perfect storm; so to speak.

reply to post by Soulhacking

I feel for You, and don't have a problem with scamming the govt.; as they are the ones taking everything, and running for the hills.

reply to post by detachedindividual

Is the Fed going to continue printing money? Absolutely until their dying days in the next month, or so. What they are actually doing is stealing the value out of the currency. The sweat equity We all put into it.

reply to post by rogerstigers

It's on purpose in my opinion

reply to post by warrenb

WarrenB, Your right on the money. It's more than a coincidental ticking time bomb. We are seeing the fruition of the Elite, and their NWO. Many foreign countries have been buying Our infrastructure for quite some time. Quietly offloading their US Debt.

That in itself should warn the US People. We must stand up apart from the govt., and not compromise. Our government has long since committed absolute treason.

They are elite robber barons; every last one of them. We are as slaves now; since we are taxed without representation.

reply to post by Walkswithfish

Yes, big government, and the lobbies controlling them is Our problem. I don't think it'll change short of absolute rebellion. I think simple civil disobedience would work.

reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Yes, the article points Your fact out. You are correct.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulhacking

As someone who works in one of those offices I hear your story every day. And yes, it is horrible.

but you also have to understand is that is it pre-economic staff, with about 4-5 the influx of people. Most offices have not been equipped to handle it.

My little group alone now has 4,000 active cases.

besides, these are state governments, not federal.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

[edit on 24-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I don't think it is depression levels. Though I do think it is higher then they say. yOu have a lot of former mother's and housewives who are also looking because they need the income.

I had to take a massive paycut but I am thankful everyday for a job.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
It has been depressing seeing businesses close, and knowing the numbers of people who have lost their jobs, and/or in some cases replaced by more inexpensive (legal) migrant workers, as well as companies outsourcing manufacturing jobs to other countries because not only is the economy here bad, the cost of doing business here is progressively rising.

another fallacy that does nothing but confuse the issue.

IL:LEGAL MEXICANS are NOT taking your middle class jobs!!!!!!!!

your friendly government has been selling you out since 1990 with outsourcing the complete middle class layer. eventually the cake had to collapse, Layers do that.

Executive management
Middle management
Blue collar / skilled
common

you figure it out.

sorry just tired of hearing the lame old "those pesky illegals did this to us" blame game..... the politicians / CEO's have been giving the country the old bend er over without even a reach around for years.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sucks having to take a pay cut. Not arguing, but the real unemployment numbers are solid. Bob Chapman is one of the best Financial Analysts out there; he is sure of 24%

reply to post by svpwizard

Hi, I live in Latin America. They are good clean People; cleaner than I've ever been around. Courtesy, and hospitality through the roof. Your correct in that it is not their fault. It's the Elite Government which has hyjacked the Country.

Not only illegal labor from Our southern border, but now the Govt. is bringing in the Indian, and Pakistani Labor. I think they are B1 something or another visas

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by svpwizard
...your friendly government has been selling you out since 1990 with outsourcing the complete middle class layer. eventually the cake had to collapse, Layers do that.

This is my point that I've been making on several threads now.. They all seem to converge on this point..well, except the zombie thread and it won't die.

The middle class has started collapsing. I have not felt the immediate impact myself, but I am a little sheltered based on what I do for a living and the fact that there are not a lot of people with my skill set at my level. That's just luck, really. Seems everyone was out to make a buck at any cost. They thought 2-3 years in the future but the herd mentality drove everyone to it. As you point out, eventually most of our hight tech and skilled labor jabors ended up in other countries "because it was cheaper". We did this to ourselves, but that's not the subject being screamed about in town halls.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I think some of the Town Hall meetings are totally legit, and then many are staged by Fox, and friends........ I think Fox Noise is trying to usurp the patriot movement, and twist it. Glen Beck, and his Beckonites have been outed many times.

I think the govt. desensitizes us through movies, and the such. Interesting You bring up the silly zombie threads; I've never participated in them, or had a desire. However, I have long wondered if they were preparing us for some kind of outbreak in which We would act in the manner of said movies, then We wouldn't have a problem shooting Our own People.

One thing is for sure, and that is the Elite think they are above the masses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join