It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask A Schizophrenic Anything

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Pretty gutsy to put yourself out as such. You seem pretty well functional from what you say anyway. I enjoyed reading about the hallucinations. I have had those on occasion myself. Never thought to get it diagnosed, maybe I should.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

I try not to get my hopes up, but I do think about it sometimes. I keep a positive mind, but also a logical mind. I know when things are too good to be true, and too bad to be true.

As for gifts, I couldn't imagine a more beautiful gift than being able to see the world more clearly.

I enjoy walking on nice days. I love seeing the world. It really is a beautiful place. I think that if everyone could see the world through my eyes, they wouldn't take much for granted; they would enjoy every minute they could.

Professionals usually say it's a lifelong illness, but I like to think that one day I'll be able to beat it. Let's hope it happens!

The hallucinations I get during the real world are no different from the ones I get during my "sleeping" hours.

I'm able to bend them to my will, move them around, etc. The thing is, I'm the only one that can see them, so if I pay too much attention to them, others get uncomfortable.

Usually, if I think I'm seeing something, I'll just pat the person next to me and ask them if they see it to. If they do, and they're a person I trust, then I know it's real.

Usually, though, if I just ignore them, they won't jump out at me. It's only when you pay attention that they do weird things.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CleverNameHere
reply to post by Miraj

On some days, it can be debilitating.

There are days when I don't trust myself driving, if my visual hallucinations are more frequent than usual.

Other days I stay locked in my room, because I'm unsure whether I'm really awake or not.

I believe it started for me around 14/15, and gradually the hormones helped it worsen until about 19, and then December 2008 came alone, and I reached a stand-still.

Yes, my employers are actually family. They know about my condition. They treat me a little better(which I tell them not to), because I think they believe that if I'm uncomfortable, I can flip, but usually they leave me alone. I do my job, and they usually never ask me to do anything because I know what has to be done. They're always "Are you okay? Are you hungry?" "Do you need to sit down, take a break?" etc. They're great people.

That's great you have family like that. It's also good that they understand your condition. As an employer that doesn't know or understand you, is likely not going to be forgiving about the days where you stay home.

I find the dream world that you experience very interesting. I was totally un-aware that schizophrenics experienced this.

You might be able to help giving insight to the question of where astral projection (and NDEs) are real or a very complex mind trick.

Then again, maybe not.. as it is a very complex issue.

Have you ever given thought to the idea that schizophrenia might be related to this phenomenon?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by harvib

"It was very weird but very cool."

Hah, that's a great way to put it! It IS very weird, and very cool.

For me, though, I can't control what I see. I can make it do funny things, or make it leave, but I can never control how it shows up.

I'm unsure if it's the same for people without schizophrenia, when they have vivid dreams. Perhaps you're able to control everything in every way?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Unfortunately, I don't think I can. I'm the dumb schizophrenic that actually tried it, but thank goodness it didn't work. Maybe I should try again some time. Perhaps then it just didn't work?

It's not so bad, because things can't touch me if I don't want them to.

Still creepy just seeing them appear, though. -shiver-

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
How do you keep your head... while all about you are losing theirs?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dedalive

It wouldn't hurt. You may not have schizophrenia, but it's possible to have a related condition.

Sometimes you'll think that they professionals are out to get you, so I encourage seeing someone and getting to know them before it gets worse, just in case. It does wonders being able to trust a psychiatrist.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I'm sure it's possible that the world I enter in my dreams may very well be the astral plane. I've seen some weird things there.

I prefer sticking to my room, though. It's my safe haven, only a few entities know where it is and come in, and they can't hurt me.

I'm not sure 100% about it really being the astral plane, though. It's probably a very complex mind trick.(don't mean to sound arrogant or anything, keep in my I didn't ask for this to happen to me)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

I keep in mind that nothing is ever as bad as it seems. Our minds tend to exaggerate more than we think they do.

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

Listening to music for half an hour before you start your day can help immensely with keeping yourself from losing it.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CleverNameHere

Im just saying that you could potentialy drain the energy that leaks into unwanted halucinations. Imagine the potential of being able to visualy model and modify objects in your field of view! I always have to go into a separate dreamstate to do such things and in the transition i lose alot of detail.

Try imagineing buildings youve seen at a scale as large as a pop can. Or try manifesting music at differnt distances and directions individualy as an exercise.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I'll definitely have to try it. I'd love nothing more than to have a little more control over the negative parts of my condition.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Oh don't worry of arrogance. I'm not sure whether it's an actually existing thing, or whether it's just a trick of the mind.

However once I had theorized, that some mental ill-ness could be related to a sort of.. overlapping existence between the two worlds. If "psychic" parts of your brain existed, over-activity in these parts could lead to "signals" from the other side.

This theory developed.. as I've noticed a declining level of normal thought in myself as I used to delve more into spiritual and conspiracy topics.

But always as a skeptic.. I've grown to question both sides.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

That is exactly what keeps me sane; questioning both sides.

As long as you can see both sides, you know which one is real.

Once you choose one, you'll always think "What if the other is real?"

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Do you play any internet PC games?

Do you have netflicks?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I love Halo 3!

For PC, I usually play flash games and whatnot. Every now and then I'll find myself reinstalling Starcraft, or CounterStrike.

Netflicks?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
have you ever tried deep trances or meditation?

one of my close friends had skitzo and he was able to cure himself fully using a trance, hes normal today.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

For now, I would like to experience it more.

I see the world so beautifully, I'm afraid that if I'm cured, I will forget what it looks like.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Yes that's what helps keep me sane in a sense to. I lose all rational when I become biased to one thing or another.

Now this might be a more personal question, I understand if you don't wish to answer.

So I get that you do well with your family.

However how do you do with more intimate relationships (IE: Boyfriend, girlfriend.) I can understand if you don't have experience here. Not even I do and Im about your age.

And also how well do you socialize with friends (If you have any good ones).

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

perhaps you will unlock something else. Things have a funny way of working out that way

was you schizophrenia a result of a traumatic accident or event ? just curious, based on your answer i could provide more speculation

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I have few friends. Two, to be exact. They're not too bad.

I fail at intimate relationships. They make me believe that I can be better, that maybe one day I could actually have a son or daughter, and I begin to do stupid things. I'll get caught on a thought, and start telling my girlfriend about it, and she'll freak out and leave.

I suppose it all works out for the best. I wouldn't want to put a child through having a schizophrenic father.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join