It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Sub Construction Problem Found at Northrop Grumman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
www.defensenews.com...

Weapons-handling gear aboard four Virginia-class attack submarines was improperly assembled by workers at Northrop Grumman's Newport News shipyard - the latest manufacturing problem at the Virginia facility.

The problem affects the North Carolina (SSN 777), New Mexico (SSN 779), Missouri (SSN 780) and California (SSN 781), Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) confirmed for Defense News. Uncorrected, the problems could disable the weapons room, according to the Navy

At issue are fasteners: the nuts and bolts that hold together the tracks for the sophisticated handling system in each submarine's weapons, or torpedo, room.

What did you do orangetom? Cost the taxpayers millions of dollars to correct these problems, and possibly endangering the crew had they encounter an enemy and can't fire back.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Electric Boat > *

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Hello DeltaBoy,

I have known about this problem for awhile now before it broke the news.
I know some of the people involved but will not post any names or such.

I also know the systems involved.

What I know is that it was found on one boat and they decided to go back and check the other boats built here. It will be rectified in due course.

I also know that this is not the first time there have been such problems with ships and boats under construction.

What astonishes me is that they so boldly publish such stories when they know that this reflects on the readiness of our capabilities to any of our enemies out there waiting for an opening or opportunity. Not smart...but it is politic. Think this through..carefully.

There were numerous problems in the Los Angeles program as well and most of them did not make the news. We used to have a Navy and politicians much smarter than today.

There were also problems with the construction on some of the early boomers.

Think this through carefully.

Thanks,
Orangetom

join