It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aug.23/09: Are computer viruses active on ATS again?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOverDrive
I forget the title of the thread ,but as soon as I clicked on it a music video started playing and my antivirus program kicked in to stop it

I had that happen too, I thought I was losing my mind.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Something triggered off the an-ti virus, and then the pop up started,

this just happened tonight, I had to do a system restore, I havent been

on any other sites today, just ATS, I must be addicted....lol imo

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I would just like to mention - incase no one else educated on this matter has yet - that websites can NOT install a virus onto your computer without your explicitly downloading and running a file. There is no way you're going to receive a 'virus' (an executable file) through ATS or any other website. They might try to trick you into downloading and running a file, but if you do, that is your OWN action - NOT the website's.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper
I would just like to mention - incase no one else educated on this matter has yet - that websites can NOT install a virus onto your computer without your explicitly downloading and running a file. There is no way you're going to receive a 'virus' (an executable file) through ATS or any other website. They might try to trick you into downloading and running a file, but if you do, that is your OWN action - NOT the website's.

Yes and no.

If you have your PC configured to automatically open PDF files instead of forcing it to download them, then you can get infected when the pdf file is opened. A user in this thread reported that happened:

Originally posted by Slash
I've had issues with visiting sites I always go to. I visited one site and it opened up adobe (I had v.5.0, I never updated it lol) and I looked in my task manager and saw e.exe.
It's a nasty bug, so I suggest getting the latest version of Adobe, as the newest one will ask if you want to open up the .pdf file.

This is a good reminder to force your PC settings to NOT automatically open PDF files, you must force it to download them. Then what angrysniper said has a better chance of being true.

This tells you how to disable the firefox browser plugin for pdf files:

kb.mozillazine.org...

Then you can just download the file (or not if it's malware!) and if you meant to download it, then open it in Acrobat.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

Another thing is that sometimes in pop-ups the "close window" button has a look alike button that activates the window.

As an aside, why aren't pop-ups and redirects illegal? It's like putting false road signs on the streets or false labels on supermarket items or taking you to Minsk when you wanted Acapulco. What's with the internet anyway?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hi/
Im not sure about computer wanting access to a program or whatever it does?
Sorry, I'm computer illiterate!

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=6966241#pid6966241

This thread acted strangely?

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I need to clarify this with some detail. My antivirus didn't say it was a virus , just that a program was being configured to load on startup. A change it is configured to stop. It may be a harmless media player I already use. I just don't want things added to run on my startup and bogging down the machine. That's why some computers run so slow and become practically unusuable. Try to keep as few things running on startup as possible and your computer will run faster

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I've used Opera since first coming to ATS. No problems here. All my anti-virus software hasn't shown anything either. I bet those affected, picked it up elsewhere offsite, and it just started showing up while browsing ATS. Stranger things have happened.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I've had some strange things happen too.
One time there was one of those floating ads came in.
I think I did have a pdf and a few other odd pages come up.
I thought it was me; that I had clicked on the wrong item.

I'm running IE7.

Really, when they catch these people they should be executed.
This is not the same thing as sending junk mail thru your US post office.
It is an intrusive assault on sensitive and expensive equipment.
Like someone coming into your house and smashing up the furniture.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My browser is back to running normally after a couple of shut downs and restarts. The antivirus found no viruses but it did find a ton of tracking cookies that it put in the virus vault. I also ran Hijack This and shut down any browser "helpers" that I could find.

I don't know where the trouble came from, but I am blocking pop-ups now and everything seems fine. It does interfere with connecting to some links within posts though. I have to copy the shortcuts and open the link in a new tab.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I picked up a virus Saturday while here. I ran all my little virus killers, which got rid of it, and then I clicked to read the details of the virus.

It said the virus came from You-tube. The thread I was reading had a link to a youtube vid, which I watched, and my security system shut my computer down as soon as I exited the vid.

So, from ATS inadvertently, I guess.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
A couple of weeks ago i had a couple of problems, once when i opened a thread one those anti virus things (that is actually a virus) popped up, and another time as soon as i opened a thread my anti virus kicked in and said i had a virus.

Other than that the only problem i've been having are those stupid pop ups that i get every single time i try to log in. It's always the screensavers, and the Josh made cash (or somebody else made cash). I never had to deal with pops to log in until about the middle of April, right about the time of this thread....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And ever since then it's every single time i log in, it's really frustrating.

XL5

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The "josh made cash" ad had an extra pop-up that would try to confuse you into clicking yes, I just ctrl-alt-del it and ats shuts down too. I pressed screenshot the first time but I dont know where or if its stored.

I wonder if an off site machine could be set up so it refreshes and logs in/out of ats and then screen shots and logs the ad info when ever something like this appears.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Actually that's wrong, if your browser has a vulnerability that hasn't been patched its completely possible for a website to download and run an executable.

There have been vulnerabilities like this for IE, Firefox and Opera. I've seen proof of concept code and code in the wild that does just that.

It's true most of the time social engineering is used to get you to actually activate the file but to think that " websites can NOT install a virus onto your computer without your explicitly downloading and running a file" is just creating a false sense of security.

The best thing you can do is make sure that your operating system and browser are patched fully.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
burgess is complely right,u can get infected just for going to a site,get firefox_adblock + kaspersky or threadfire and patch ur windows to max

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Yesterday I had an unsecured browser refreshing our ad codes every 45 seconds for four hours, which was also logging HTTP header data for possible improper code.

Nothing occurred.

When we get verifiable reports of problems with ads (or any other embedded item on ATS), we always take quick action. However, this thread contains no information on which we can act.

Logged-in members receive no pop-ups. If you're logged in and seeing pop-ups, they're not from us. (However... the survey pop-up showed once for me, and since then I've not been able to track down which ad caused it.)

Guests who are not logged in will never see more than two pop-ups a day. If you see more than than, they're not from us.

If you encounter an issue, the most effective way to see it resolved is to give us as much data as possible in a complaint and/or U2U directly to me. The data should include, at a minimum, the ads on the ATS page at the time it happened. When possible, intrusion logs from your firewall (including the IP address of the intrusion) are gold to us.

Posting vague complaints in a thread such as this does not help solve anything. y

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join