It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I cant sleep properly anymore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Evening everyone,

Im in the UK, Wales to be precise but that doesnt matter, only that I'm proud.

Anyway, its Sunday and once again I have just watched a drama and its already playing on my mind, and there no outlet. I have got 2 children, one is 9 and th eother is 5, and I sometimes wake up at night, playing out a scenario and its always to do with the kids. Whether they are falling out of bed, falling down the stairs, getting into trouble, getting lost, getting beaten up and it goes on and on.

But every night on TV is the same old negative, worrying and damn right destructive TV that means I dont sleep at night.

My partner then says well why dont we watch something else, so I looked through and we have then 'Young Dumb And Living With Mum', and then that is just a show on how irresponsible children are today, with no regard for money, and no responsibility for themselves.

My father was a miner in the welsh valleys, and we have had a hard up bringing, I wasnt to take # of anybody, I wasnt to be messed around, but I always showed respect to my elders, i knew my boundries with my parents and within my community, and knew what life was in stall for me, so I was prepared.

I just cant sleep properly, all this crap on telly is not good, its making me paranoid, and there is no outlet.

What has happened to the civilised, no confrontational TV of our past?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I heard a comedian on television say once: I couldn't handle all the sex and violence on television...so I stopped watching the news.

I think you have answered your own question. If it bothers you that much, stop watching it.

the news reports the worst. Because the person who rescued 10 kittens isn't news worthy. You will hear this over and again on ATS.

A lot of good things do go one in teh world. Just when I think humanity is crappy. Someone does something nice for me.

I tell people this: If you never watched the news, and you just went by what is going on in your neighborhood, is it really all that bad?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by multichild

I would recommend reading, p'raps the library?

Or tons of stuff you could download.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yes, if it bothers you, do not watch it. Take a step back from it. Read a good book or magazine, rent a good movie, listen to good music etc.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Why don't you just get rid of the TV altogether? You said yourself there's nothing but negative crap on it - so get rid of it.

Contrary to what you may believe, there really is life after TV. I got rid of mine 30 years ago. What have I missed? A few great episodes of A-Team, yes, I admit; and all those Starsky and Hutch shows. But really, I haven't missed much.

Movies? I use DVD's, watch them on the computer or a DVD player. News? Um, you mean mainstream news? As in, the propaganda that passes for news these days? Don't miss it, not a bit. Any news I get is off the Internet, from a variety of sources including from countries that don't much care for the US (so their propaganda will be different from the US propaganda).

Get rid of the TV, and read some books. Better yet, spend some quality time with those kids you're worrying about, talk to them, read to them or with them, play some sports or games or something. Without TV, suddenly you'll have enough time for family and other things.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

One has to be very selective when watching telly its indeed al lot of crap what passes the eye and thats not good at all.

Watching negative telly programmes keeps images or texts circling in your mind.

Better don't watch telly then before you go to bed or in the (late) eve

What about reading a book or magazine? Or surfing the web and select fun things to watch and read about?

I don't watch that much telly anymore, cant find much satisfaction in what it presents nowwadays.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It might also be a sign of some other health problem. You might think about getting checked out, just in case. I've had trouble sleeping for a few years now and sometimes it's just as if my sleep schedule is messed up as to when I actually feel sleepy. Some disturbing things are like fashbacks while I'm trying to sleep, as if some seizure. I've heard that taking fish oil or omega 3 capsules might help if this is some type of deficiency.

Many times I feel like laying down as if sleepy, but just lay there there for several hours tossing. I used to be able to just focus on darkness and void and could fall asleep. Carbs have also been said to help make us sleepy, like a bowl of cereal.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Its very difficult to get away from it though.

I am in a way very selective, I dont tend to watch the stupid programmes as I would call them, these programmes such as wife swap and all reallity TV programmes, but I naturally as I am on this website every day too, I tend to watch discovery programmes, Horizon science TV, news, documentaries etc, but I still tend to not sleep.

My mind is on over drive. The other night, my parnter said that for almost an hour I was stopping children falling down the stairs, they where falling from everywhere as I perceived it.

I dont think its 100% the TV, but I think its life in itself these days, there is so much pressure on young families, so much pressure on children and i feel as though I wont be able to help my children when they are in trouble.

My partner also feels the negativity in the press, on TV, on the net. I dont honestly think we can get away from it.

I thin I will take people up on their suggestions, and just not watch it. Im fed up of TV, its not what I am about, and not what I am interested in.

Thanks guys.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by multichild]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You are getting older man.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That was the other thing I wanted to mention. Get some vit D.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

But every night on TV is the same old negative, worrying and damn right destructive TV that means I dont sleep at night.

There's your problem!!!
. I don't watch TV anymore. I just get my stuff from the internet. I get what I want with Netflix. I don't like TV... it's as what you say.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
If watching stuff on TV bothers you... don't watch it?

How many channels do you have? Surely there has got to be other stuff on that doesn't depress you. If you only have the few basic channels then just try to stay away from the TV if there isn't anything but depressing stuff on. Go out and play with your kids. Go for a walk with your wife or read a book.

You have the internet, obviously, look online for TV shows that you DO like.

Or you can just shrug off what you see on TV. Sure there are bad things out there but there are also many other good things, don't think of just the bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

The real worry is why are you letting the telly do this to you?

I don't watch those sorts of shows anymore simply because they are what you describe: negative, mind-numbing and boring.

Watch something else that will make you chuckle instead. I highly recommend reruns of the Might Boosh, That Mitchell & Webb Look and any of the South Park eppies -- a good dose of political incorrectness does the soul wonders!

Or, head to BBC iPlayer and watch some of the documentaries. The Yellowstone national Park one was simply fantastic. There's loads on there that is awe-inspiring and quite moving. The underwater world in the Antarctic was incredible.

Or, as suggested - just turn the damn thing off and go for a long walk. It's now getting to that time of year when it becomes a bit crisp outside, the leaves are changing and a walk around the common is quite invigorating. IMO, anywaze.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by noonebutme]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I actually have gone through this not too long ago myself. Between this website , the news, all the doomsday crap on history and discovery and just plain negative stuff on TV, it actually reactivated my clinical insomnia. Something I have fought for 10 years to suppress. Finally at about 10 pm usually turn off any show or program that is drama based or reality driven ( news, documentaries, etc. ) I have found that when I do this and I focus on something that I really enjoy, like my case I am a Star Wars fanatic, it really does relax me and puts me into a mood that is more able to rest. I take a melatonin pill ( because it is all natural and the script drugs I take for insomnia are last resorts) I watch a star wars movie, read a star wars book, and just let things take thier toll.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It's not really as bad as television or the news will want you to think...particularly news if not the BBC

They want you to watch their show/news broadcast as it will get them money. Showing tragedies, society falling apart and so forth will attract more viewers than if they recorded every event of equal importance but positive impact.

If every time the news came on they said 'few people got killed today like usual but overall we're doing fine' would most people keep watching?

or would they watch? "Gun crime destroying our streets! Not safe to walk around at night! This generation is worse than the last!"

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Have you ever tried gardening? In all seriousness, you should throw that box in the refuse. I stopped subscribing to the idiot box over two years ago and couldn't picture myself ever going back. Good luck to you

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm a bit of a television junkie and I honestly don't pick up the stuff you are talking about. Maybe it's because I watch 'rubbish' shows like the X Factor! But I think it is also possibly because your 'antennae' are tuned in that direction. For example when I bumped my car, it seemed like every other car on the road was dented too.
We are all different. The things going on in my life are what keeps me awake. In my case the solution is to go to sleep listening to the TalkSport late night phone in.
You possibly need to ditch the TV or at least cut down. Listen to some classic FM, play cards, whatever. These sites aren't too good for paranoia either
. Sorry - it had to be said...
Here is a link to some 'good news' sites.
www.makeuseof.com...
And count your blessings before going to bed. We all have some whatever our circumstances.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
edit

[edit on 27-9-2009 by angelx666]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

My partner then says well why dont we watch something else, so I looked through and we have then 'Young Dumb And Living With Mum', and then that is just a show on how irresponsible children are today, with no regard for money, and no responsibility for themselves.

Turn it off.

Many of us have and we feel stronger, more confident and much happier. You have to realize that what you see on the TV is really, really affecting the way you think about the world, yourself, other people, the future and everything else. As you clearly have noticed now.

Do something about it. Turn it the # off. Its a mind control device. It may sound weird, but it really is. Nothing affects you like the TV does.

I use mine for watching downloaded movies. I havent seen a commercial in years. I havent felt worried in years either. Except for when there is real interesting information to see, but thats not happening in the mainstream media anymore. The last time I watched news was after 9/11. If something that important happens again, you wont miss it.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I never watch TV anymore, I can't take it! It's just bimbos and crap on TV here.

I lissen to coast to coast on YouTube and read threads here. I also watch other things on YouTube related "conspiracies"

new topics

top topics

join