It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed bumps to help power DC hotel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Speed bumps to help power DC hotel

Georgetown's Four Seasons Hotel will generate electricity thanks to arriving cars.

www.nbc-2.com...

The autos will drive over what seems like little mini-speed bumps. But the devices actually generate power as the cars pass over them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
[url=http://wtopnews.com/?nid=598&sid=1744609
www.motionetics.com
news.cnet.com

wtopnews.com...

[edit on 23-8-2009 by earth2]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I posted a few other links I found with more information.

Its only 2 inches off the ground, so its not that big of a bump.
This same company has also designed and tested a human-powered charger for cell phones and other tech gadgets.

"Motionetics plans to use the technology behind M2E Power for military applications, Motionetics co-founder Layne Simmons told Vator News."

Thats interesting.

This is cool. Green is growing.

wtopnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

This form of energy is nothing more than siphoning off gasoline from the passing cars. The speed bump causes the car engines to have to do more work. I'm unimpressed and somewhat annoyed given the obvious wastefulness and pollution of the idea.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Cool, this sounds like good news. Hopefully this idea will spread and we will start seeing a lot more of this 'recycled energy'.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
reply to post by earth2

This form of energy is nothing more than siphoning off gasoline from the passing cars. The speed bump causes the car engines to have to do more work. I'm unimpressed and somewhat annoyed given the obvious wastefulness and pollution of the idea.
Actually, I think the opposite is true. If the speed bump is not enough to sufficiently reduce the speed of the vehicle then all it is doing is absorbing a little bit of the forward momentum from the vehicle.
I have a truck and often encounter normal 5" speed bumps at speeds in excess of 10 MPH and might be slowed to 9 MPH after both axles have crossed the speed bump... it's a 4wd Toyota so the suspension gives me some extra travel. So the bump has not siphoned any significant amount of power out of my gas tank, particularly since I was already coasting, in neutral, at idle.
Similarly, my neither my Celica nor Firebird are significantly affected by speed bumps with regards to forward velocity. It's only the larger bumps that cause me to reduce speed and only because hitting them at speed is highly uncomfortable in my lumbar region.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Thats pretty damn cool.
But why does someone have to find a damn conspiracy in EVERYTHING?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Kool, that's 5 minutes from where I live ...

I'll do a thorough investigation, with pictures of course and report all related nefariousness ...

Who shall I bill for my scones?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

reply to post by earth2

I think this might be sarcasm.

If it's not i'm just amazed at how some people think anything that would be cleaner and more efficient and therefore 'green' is a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

reply to post by earth2

I was going to make this point but you got to it first. Star for you.

Yes, it will siphon off a small amount of energy and probably induce braking and acceleration cycles which increased fuel consumption. Perhaps the best places for such a system is freeway off-ramps or downhill grades where it would assist deceleration or resist unwanted acceleration.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

It's not the same. Regular speed bumps are rigid and return the energy to the vehicle, aside from heat losses from friction, the net loss would be near zero. If power is being generated, that power comes from the vehicle's kinetic energy. It will either decelerate slightly or the energy extraction will have to be compensated by increased power output from the engine (= more fuel).

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Not necessarily ... if the speed bump is just feet before let's say a stop sign, the driver would have stopped the car anyway. Thus the bumps are only absorbing energy from the already generated forward momentum. So unless it is a hybrid car, the bump is not taking any extra energy to be charged since it is actually assisting in braking the vehicle. So yes there is an energy transfer, but a net gain is achieved because in this instance the car's braking energy would have been wasted.

Btw, keep in mind that the Four Seasons driveways are like 100 feet and have numerous pedestrian crossings. So chances are the bumps will be just before the pedestrian crossings which have stop signs. If they think it through, the bumps should not be across the driveways but only on the side of oncoming traffic as it nears a break point. Or else as you said the whole thing is useless as the the car would have to expend extra energy on acceleration to overcome the bump.

We're talking about a PR stunt here more than anything.

Like I said, as soon as the scone issue is resolved, I shall investigate.

[edit on 23 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

That is what I was saying. If it's taken where you would decelerate anyway, then no you aren't "siphoning gas". All is fair. You didn't want that energy anyway.

And yea, I neglected to talk about regenerative braking. In that case its back to the same.

Though in reality is seems like "who actually stops at stopsigns?" Some drivers don't even seem to slow down at them.

How about these ideas:
Photovoltaic panels to extract energy from passing car headlights.
Audio transducers to recover energy from traffic noise.
Generate electricity or recover energy on the down cycle of elevators.

Hey, they seem reasonable. Anyone willing is free to implement and/or patent them.

[edit on 8/23/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

How about these ideas:
Photovoltaic panels to extract energy from passing car headlights.
Audio transducers to recover energy from traffic noise.
Generate electricity or recover energy on the down cycle of elevators.

I like ...

Also nasal mucous and methane recovery systems would go a long way ...

At least if the drivers I know are any indication.

Not me, I'm talking about "friends."

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
There is enough thermal energy below our feet to power everything on the planet for the rest of our existence. Not sure why we are not doing more research on that. Could not hurt to tap into Yellowstone.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Siphoning gas? Oh fer christ sakes - IT'S TWO INCHES !!

If you think this nothing of a bump is going to siphone your fuel, then you better start raising hell about the roadways of every city where the asphalt becomes driveway, and for all the pot holes, and on and on and on.

Siphoning gas, I've bloody well heard it all now.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by milesp

reply to post by earth2

I think this might be sarcasm.

If it's not i'm just amazed at how some people think anything that would be cleaner and more efficient and therefore 'green' is a bad thing.

I'd like to see how this is really "green". How much energy can pressing down a speed bump really produce anyways compared to the energy being wasted by the car to get over the hump?
Besides that the manufacturing process of making such a product can't be all that green. I'm sure to produce the gadgets, wires, bump thingy itself and other materials to make the product probably causes a lot of polution and other junk, waste materials, and so on.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklife
the energy being wasted by the car to get over the hump?

Are you folks being for real? Do any of you know what two inches is?

I will, however, agree to a degree with your second paragraph, about the manufacturing of this item. It depends on what outwieghs what - the spent fuel producing these contraptions, or the savings made from using them.

[edit on 8/23/2009 by Misfit]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Sure, but think about it ...

Let's say each time a car goes over them they get one tenth of one 1c worth of electricity and you lose one tenth of 1c worth of gas. They're boiling their lapsang souchong tea kettles on our dime!!!!

Grand larceny is what it is.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Dammit SD - you do what you do so well, I am not sure if you are being literal or facetious!! lol

But, in all seriousness, a two inch bump, the drive train of a vehicle is just not going to be affected.e.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Very awesome and innovative!!! I love it.

Especially because it's a hotel. Those things use so much energy. I'm so glad someone thought of this!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join