It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health insurers explore savings in overseas care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Health insurers explore savings in overseas care

www.9news.com

As Washington searches for ways to tame the country's escalating health care costs, more insurers are offering networks of surgeons and dentists in places like India and Costa Rica, where costs can be as much as 80 percent less than in America.

Until recently, most Americans traveling abroad for cheaper non-emergency medical care were either uninsured or wealthy. But the profile of medical tourists is changing. Now, they are more likely to be people covered by private insurers, which are looking to keep costs from spiraling out of control.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Now this is interesting. With all the talk of health care reform, why hasn't someone done a study as to why it is so expensive in the first place?

With the cost of malpractice insurance, doctors charge higher prices. Healthcare companies are reporting record profits each year. How exactly something that should be non-profit (in my opinion) show record profits?

Really, this just shows that healthcare insurance needs to be reformed, not necessarily healthcare as a whole (although I am still open to that if it is done correctly).

Interesting read at least.

www.9news.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Health insurers aren't in the business of providing health care. They are in the business of making money for their share holders.

I expect this trend to continue, expand and eventually affect the system in general. Fewer Dr's, nurses, and quality. Health care for profit, the way it exists in the US will only benifit the people that are financially invested.

The insurance premiums will eventually go up until only the wealthy can afford health care. That's the plan.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by whaaa]

new topics

join