It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High hopes for invisibility cloak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

High hopes for invisibility cloak

news.bbc.co.uk

Professor Ulf Leonhardt at St Andrews University is working on a blueprint for a cloaking device that could also be used to shield coast lines.

Prof Leonhardt, who describes his invisibility work as "geometry, light and a wee bit of magic", hopes to manipulate modern metamaterials - or "designer atoms" to create an invisibility device using the laws of refraction.

He believes that in bending light, transparent materials like glass or water appear to distort the geometry of space, which is the cause of many optical illusions, including invisibility.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Did someone say: 'Predator'..... actually, fairly certain anyone who viewed the picture in the link conjured images of the light-bending space traveller from memory.

The artcile says in 15yrs it will be available for commercial use, like 'Harry Potter' cloaks - to be used to sneak into theaters seeing 'Harry Potter 2024' - kidding; though he really sites the film as inspiration for the design.

However seems to me that this technology has been around for at least a generation, if not more....definately recall seeing the same application supposedly field tested in a military science magazine.

Anyway, certainly intriguing to see real life examples of the adage = "science-fiction becoming science-fact."

We all know that if BBC is releasing this info, its probably a rudamentary form of the pure-state technology in existence for decades.

all you need is
LOVE

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm little disappointed in the application of the technology - sheilding coastlines. Why? I presume he is bound by funding, but it seems, somewhat, dull. All things considered.

join