It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education system designed to weed out dumb people?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I have always been horrible at math. Math problems were always so bizarre to me, the logic to the solutions always seemed to be more complicated than necessary. I felt as if the education system never actually taught me how to properly use logic to find the solution to a problem. Instead, it would throw you in the water and you would either sink or swim. Sure, in the beginning of a new session you would be taught the essentials of math equations, but not how to actually train your mind to create the neural pathways of reasoning.

To me, this felt like it wasn't there to actually teach you to be smarter, but to SEE if you were smart.

Just for fun I decided to check out some grade 5 math problems online. It's been a long long time since I was in grade 5 and I always struggled with it. Now that I am much older it should be a breeze. Now that I am older, I can also see something clearly that I have never seen before as a child.

Check this problem out:

1. Divide the face of the clock into three parts with two lines so that the sum of the numbers in the three parts are equal.

Well, my logic tells me to add up all the numbers on a clock, divide by 3 and then by using reason, starting with the larger numbers clockwise, draw a line which would total 26.

BUT...

They offer a hint. Drum roll please...

hint:
Divide the clock into three parts with two lines. Add up the numbers in each section. Are they equal? If not try again.

Are you kidding me?? Try again? Just randomly draw two lines? This has nothing to do with the reasoning involved. Yes, to the rest of us we know 1+2+3+4+5+6 won't add up to 26. This is common sense. However, something is missing here. Something doesn't feel right. You could be there all day if you don't have the built in logic.

Here's another:

A man has to be at work by 9:00 a.m. and it takes him 15 minutes to get dressed, 20 minutes to eat and 35 minutes to walk to work. What time should he get up?

Well, this should be easy. We all work, traffic, I do this every day. Simple right? Just count backwards. 9:00 - 35 minutes = 8:25 - 20 = 8:05 - 15 = 7:50 AM.
That is my logic.

Solution:
9 hours - (15 + 20 + 35)
9 hours - 70 minutes
7 hours + 120 minutes - 70 minutes = 7 hours and 50 minutes = 7:50 AM

WTF???????? What is going on here? Waaaay over complicating things IMO.

Then suddenly it hit me like a druken stepfather. Where are the lessons to compute reasoning like this? Some of us are naturals, but others are not. Isn't our education system designed to be in place to 'create' or nurture, if you will, the next generation to best further our society? Shouldn't our children be given the tools of logic to expand their awareness?

I have a theory to my question. The answer is most definitely no. I think since the beginning of preschool, only the naturally gifted or intelligent children are selected. The rest of them are forgotten to pick up the slack for themselves. The education system is in no way proactive to better the potential of the youth. It is there to WEED out the less fortunate. It has absolutely nothing to do with teaching, but only to eliminate those who don't get it. Why? I think this answer is obvious.

What say you?

Grade 5 math problems

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
My children are in elementary school right now and are required to show the work for "2 + 2 = 4", which my kids have been doing in their heads since pre-school.

The whole "No Student Left Behind" program is a sham. What they did was lower the bar far enough where no one would be left behind. There has been no improvement in education.

If I had the time, I would home school. All I can do is compensate for the horrible education they are receiving from our teachers.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I'm not sure how you show the work for 2+2. Just 2+2?
I remember when my grade 5 class had questions in math or any subject and couldn't find solutions to the problems, we would line up at the desk of the teacher and he would just silently do the work and send us back to our desks.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Its not even to see IF you are smart. Its to teach you to regurgitate info on command, so you can perform your menial job and keep the power structure intact. Education would be a lot different if it were actually about teach people how to think.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I want to hear some comments from teachers here. Anyone? Or are they all brainwashed to defend the system.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by FlySolo]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
I'm not sure how you show the work for 2+2. Just 2+2?

They were required to draw out blocks, or circles, or lines, or something, and then count them together. (2 blocks in one stack, 2 blocks in another stack = 4 blocks total).

Last year, they released their new improved math program, which upset both my kids. The new books had the same problems that they just finished studying the previous year. Looks like it slid back yet again.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Preschool, elementary school, highschool and university are just that, the regurgitation of facts.

this summer i was working with a 3rd year university student, he was the president of a few different things and incharge of the student funds ($40,000). We had to do remedial monkey work, physical labour. We had to fit 3 skids onto a truck that only had room for 1 (unless things were rearranged) he stood there dumbfounded. unable to process what we needed to do.

we pulled 1 skid out, the others fit in and everything was fine. I was shocked to see him so confused and puzzled, he wanted to call our boss over to help figure out the problem.

I remind you, this guy was incharge of alot of things with a 3 year university education going on his 4th. Anything besides regurgitating things he had to memorize he was the dumbest person i have ever met. Although he talked very proper and new how to network, his skills were very lacking when it came to problem solving or anything for that matter.

----

heres the kicker. after he finishes his schooling. he wants to be a city planner, or a politician. (he sits on many councils in university)

[edit on 23-8-2009 by epitaph.one]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Get your kids into a Montassouri School or check around and see if there is a group of home schoolers you can join. Do what ever you can to get them out of the brain deadening "public school"

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I stumbled on a book called Rapid Match Tricks. Amazing stuff. For example:

Any number times 11

say, 43 X 11. We are taught 43
x----

Instead, go 4+3 = 7. Then put 7 in the middle: 473. Simple! and you cut your processing time in half.

or a larger number carrying the 1:
473 x 11
3+7=10 (4703)
add the 1 from 10 to the first digit 4 becomes 5 so the number is now 5703
Then add 5+7= 12 and drop the 1 so now the answer is 5203

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

reply to post by TLomon

Any number times 11

x----

Instead, go 4+3 = 7. Then put 7 in the middle: 473. Simple! and you cut your processing time in half.

thats different, i do math in my head quite easily but i do it alittle different.
i would have done. 43 x 10 + 43 = 473

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I can see the day that depending on how well off your family is, will determine which upgrade memory chips you'll have. Kinda like when people used to brag about their computers.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by epitaph.one

reply to post by TLomon

Any number times 11

x----

thats different, i do math in my head quite easily but i do it alittle different.

Ya, pretty cool eh? Another one, any number x 5. Just divide the number in half and add a zero. 250x5 =1,250

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I want to hear some comments from teachers here. Anyone? Or are they all brainwashed to defend the system.

Actually I'm an ex teacher, junior college/anthro. dept. I can't defend a system as it has one huge, major flaw.

Pretend to pay teachers and they will pretend to teach. You get what you pay for.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by epitaph.one

yeah thats how i do 2 two digit numbers as well. But I'll have to remember flysolo's method for 11's. This is turning into a great thread...wish they woulda had this back when I was in school...

I'm pretty good at 2, 2 digit numbers in my head. I try to only work with tens and break everything down to basic addition.
45 x 23 for example...

45x20
+
45X3

is a lot easier to figure out.

I'd even break it down to simpler terms if need be...
(45x 10) + (45x 10)

+

150-15

ok so it looks less simple on paper, but when you round things to fives and tens they become easier to work with. It gets a little tougher with three didgit numbers, but I can do 2 pretty quick, people are always impressed.

BTW, I'm one of the smart ones...I dropped out.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well, if you have to be at work at 9 in the morning and it takes you 15 minutes to get dressed, 20 inutes to eat and 35 minutes to walk to work, yeah, you should be able to get up at 7:50 and be fine. It's a process of deduction. That's all

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well, if you have to be at work at 9 in the morning and it takes you 15 minutes to get dressed, 20 inutes to eat and 35 minutes to walk to work, yeah, you should be able to get up at 7:50 and be fine. It's a process of deduction. That's all

Exactly. So why the drawn out solution of subtracting 70 minutes, adding 120 minutes blah blah. Who thinks like that?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I thought I would bump this thread up again. No other teachers have any response to add to this, or at least try to explain the logic involved in the school systems?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I remember having taken some tests at a social services evaluation and when I was done, they would inform me if they would allow me to have any further work training or not.

They said; Not. They simply said my test scores put me in the same work as I had done previously and that no further training was necessary. That was basically; factory work.

However, they did tell my wife who didn't work that she would be getting some type of grant or whatever for some college courses. They later told her in private that she would be better off as a single parent. Well, that's what she told me anyway.

She's been married two times more since then and I've stayed single ever since. Although, I am now on SSDI and she did have 4 kids to raise.

I had always resented school from the very beginning. Even before I started. My mom and dad used the flash cards on me and that was traumatic enough to last a lifetime. To this day, any type of cards make me uncomfortable, even scratch tickets. Ok, maybe that's a lot of people.

Yeah, I think children are profiled. Many also given medications etc.

The school system is abusive and violates our basic human rights, even if they are still only children.

I've had my own visions for a school system that's individually designed using sensors and laptop or individual computers or something similar. Something like a personal tutor and or teacher avatar. This could still be in a classroom setting.

As my father (at least once) told me; chances are, if you can think of it, they've already done it or they're working on it.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
you think your american math is hard? why dont you come here in bulgaria when we learn cos/sin/tan in 6 grade?
no really i want to hear your thoughts about me having to learn cosinus in 6 grade!
do you know how lucky i was to graduate?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I was a public school teacher. While there are some intelligent teachers, the "super" of our local FL school district says 'smart teachers do no always make the best teachers...' LOL really? I know of some teachers in this county who have NEVER passed the state exam and the district keeps covering for them.

Public School is PC with the emphasis on P! In this county, if you fail to be rehired twice - you can never, repeat, never teach (or sub) in this county AGAIN!

This will stir up the unionists, no doubt - but public education has achieved its goal - the dumbing down of generations of Americans and ostracizing the noble, intelligent patriots.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join