It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Este los Estados Unidos, hablamos ingles aqui!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

haha you don't live in south florida! People here expect you to speak Spanish, if you don't they look at you like you're an alien from Jupiter, then do exactly as this woman did, start screaming and yelling and talking smack in spanish.

My boyfriend is as white as white gets, he's from hershey, PA doesn't know enough spanish to find a way out of paper bag, if it wasn't for me being a stereotypical loud mouth latina, he would have no idea how much crap people actually talk when they think you can't understand them... and the people who are doing the talking, well they understand me just fine

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I do believe that I stated that my Spanish is rusty at best. I know just enough to get by when visiting a Spanish speaking country, and when I'm being cursed out.

Having said that, while I realize that like seeks like, you should know enough of the host country's language that you choose to live in to get by without a translator. Had she just emigrated here, or was just visiting, then her lack of command of the English language would be understandable and acceptable (not her attitude). But after 15 years, there is absolutely no excuse for this, period.

At another restaurant I worked at several years ago, we had a kid named Jaime who had just moved here. He had only been here a couple of weeks and could speak enough English to get by. By the time he had been here for two months, he could speak fluent English. He made the effort to learn the language. I guess you have to live in a area with a large foreign speaking community to really understand the growing problem. I'm not expecting complete intergration, but learning the language is necessary.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This kind of people embarrass me, i have american friends living here (México) that speak perfect spanish, they don't run into places asking fo people to speak english.

I still don't get the point of moving to another country without speaking a pip of their language and demanding them to speak yours, only comes to mind the smell of money.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

On the other hand, go to any Oriental neighborhood in any big city in the US and there are many, many people born and raised in that neighborhood that never learned to speak English. But hey, It's more fun to rag on the Mexicans!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You know, I think you were just unlucky to speak to an angry woman. I'm sure she could have ordered her food in English, not perfectly, but you would have understood. I find it hard to believe that she lived here for 15 years and didn't speak English, and thats not to say your a liar, its me saying that the woman was in a bad mood. For the most part, and this is speaking from experience, Mexicans learn the most basic of words in this country. Things like food, restroom, please, thank you, "I want number 3, large, with sprite" etc. This lady was just in a bad mood, that does not excuse her behavior though, and like someone before me said that is the bigger issue.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'm gonna just throw this out there. Should it not be required that everyone in the US speak two or more languages. I mean it doesn't have to be Spanish but since we're so close to each other why not? I mean I know a lot of white Americans 9but not just whites) that only speak English. Don't you think that the country would be better off if everyone spoke at least two languages? I speak English, Spanish, and can understand and hold a conversation in French(and I am learning more).

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It was far more likely that this woman was Cuban, not Mexican, as there are very few Mexicans in S. Fla. Also the time is about right as the last major Cuban migration push was in 1994. Not everyone who speaks Spanish is Mexican.

And it matters not what language or country of origin, LEARN THE LANGUAGE!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3vilscript
I'm gonna just throw this out there. Should it not be required that everyone in the US speak two or more languages. I mean it doesn't have to be Spanish but since we're so close to each other why not? I mean I know a lot of white Americans 9but not just whites) that only speak English. Don't you think that the country would be better off if everyone spoke at least two languages? I speak English, Spanish, and can understand and hold a conversation in French(and I am learning more).

When I was in school we were required to take another language for so many years. I took french and learned a lot of words and some greetings and stuff, but in no way could I carry on a conversation. Some people do not pick up another language easily. Which is one reason I would never move to another country that doesn't speak my language.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
LMAO...that happens alot to me as well...I am Mexican American and i do speak both English and Spanish....when a spanish speaker ask's me "You speek e spanish ?" I say in english "yes i speek e spanish" while they talk to me in spanish i answer in english so they learn the words so they feel some spanish speakers can learn and talk English. Yeah they look at me like if i forgot that i speak spanish since they just asked...but i just tell them they need to learn English in case of an Emergency every came about.....and they bashfully agree....... laters Peace Love Respect

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

English is your fourth language?!!?!!!

Well that just goes to show. People should put forth the effort to learn other languages of the areas in which they live.

My gramma speaks 8 languages. I speak one and a third. English and a touch of Spanish. We had to take Spanish/French/or Italian in school to graduate. Kind of unfair that people living here don't need to learn the most widely spoken language...

I took Spanish for a total of 5 years. I'm awful. Don't believe me? Send me a U2U in Espanol. It won't turn out well (but might be funny). My boyfriend also took Spanish in school.

[edit on 8/23/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Being a restaurant, I really wouldn't care what language people speak. I would assume that restaurants would be more interested in making money than dictating what language should be spoken in the restaurant.

As far as the disgruntled lady cussing, well that just shows her immaturity. Most businesses have a policy not to argue with the customers. Kinda surprise you chose to do otherwise.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Wholeheartedly I have to say if you come from another country to live here you need to learn English it's insane when they actually expect you to "Just deal with it."

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Originally posted by 3vilscript

When I was in school we were required to take another language for so many years. I took french and learned a lot of words and some greetings and stuff, but in no way could I carry on a conversation. Some people do not pick up another language easily. Which is one reason I would never move to another country that doesn't speak my language.

I disagree. I believe you have the capacity to learn French or any other language you decide to learn. I'm of the type that believe if you can graduate from a United States highschool you have the ability to do whatever you want. Lack of effort is not an excuse. I think you would find that people from other countries are very acceptable, no matter were your from. If you went to live in France you would learn the language eventually. Maybe you would not speak it perfectly but people would understand you and it wouldn't bother them that you don't pronounce every word correctly. I think the woman in the original post was lying just cause she thought she deserved something, but I know for a fact that you can't live in this country for 15 years and not be able to communicate. You would have to have no contact with the world.

She was just being rude and lazy. She could of very well said "I want hamburger, fries, and sprite." Even if she said it in spanish you would understand: "Hamburgesa, papas, esprite." or whatever they sell in his "restaurante."

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Having worked with some Mexicans for a year, and being perhaps not friends but friendly co-workers because I was the only white guy who let them teach me Spanish enough to carry on a conversation .. I learned that about half the Mexicans know enough English to get the jist of what we are saying, but choose to not speak it at all.. they don't like us
I remember two Mexicans in particular.. one spoke English, but never spoke a word of it to anyone else that spoke English. The other guy was a young guy, 19yrs old, spoke fluent English but would translate into Spanish a much vulgar degrading message to the other Spanish speakers..

15 years in the US, my bet is she speaks enough Spanish to understand and speak to understand what is going on .. but refuses to.

Of course it's possible she's from a very Spanish segregated community and rarely comes in contact with English speakers.. after all many Hispanic communities have Spanish TV, Spanish translated signs and so forth.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Sounds like a lot of you Americans are a wee bit nostalgic for the "good old days" when the English speaking person of Northern European heritage was the majority just about everywhere.
Well, it ain't so no more
Logically, why would a person bother to learn English if in fact the major language spoken and written by the majority of people in the community they moved into was not English?
There are lots of pockets in the USA where something other than English is the primary mode of communication. Thats the reality folks. Them good ol' days is gone.
Actually these still are the good days, if only new. The expanding diversity in Americana is a refreshing thing.
I'm Canadian. I grew up with the firm knowledge that a whole bunch of people in my country speak French better than English. NO PROBLEM. A whole bunch of my relatives spoke Ukrainian better than English. NO problem there either.
Vive la difference.!
There's no excuse for rudeness on anyone's part, but I think you guys gotta get over the fact that you are no longer just an English/Anglo country and move on.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Spanish people dont learn english because they dont have to. All they have to learn is simple stuff to keep a job, thats it. Otherwise its all spanish. Its funny how the kids are translating everything for the "adults". I work in a village in Westchester County, NY, have been for 7 years now. Made lots of friends from Ecuador, Columbia and Mexico. I have been to lots of parties and have noticed something amazing. All of the kids speak perfect english and love all American things. The parents are usually drinking something, dancing talking... but the kids dont like that normal Spanish culture at all.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by R3KR]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
im in japan, and i speak very little japanese "nihongo wa.. shikoshi desu!"

however i always make the effort to speak japanese.

the local communities in japan offer FREE language lessons. both via the red cross, and through the local prefectural councils.

almost EVERY town hall can hook you up with some kind of free japanese course.

its IMMENSELY disrespectful to come to any coutry and not TRY to speak the language. no one expects you to be fluent, but to at least try is considered really impressive. the locals often say that im very good at japanese, a very very polite lie! but they are serioulsy impressed that you try. the more i try the more i learn.

arigato minasan!!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 3vilscript

You are wrong in your assertion that you cannot live in a country for extended periods and not learn the language at all. It's actually quite possible and happens frequently.

I live in Northern Europe. In this particular country, we have two national languages: Finnish and Swedish. I am a native English speaker. I live in the capital city. Absolutely everyone here speaks English. Can you imagine why that is? UK and USA media. TV, the Internet, films, music, business. What's not in English? When a Russian and an African meet randomly, do they start speaking Chinese? Possible, but not likely. Everyone dives into English. When a Swede comes to Finland, they don't speak Swedish. They speak English. Defies logic, doesn't it? Not really. The Swedish the Finns speak is particularly ugly. I don't blame the Swedes for not wanting to hear it.

And in this country, it's not enough to get by with just some Finnish. The language isn't forgiving. If you don't know the grammar, you can't speak. You can't make yourself clear at all. I've been here for 25 years this year. All my friends are English speakers because there are thousands of us in this town. My last job (was there for 8 years) was an English-speaking office - no Finns on my floor at all even and the job before that I was baking completely alone all night. That too was for eight years. As mentioned before all the incoming influences via media came in English. My needs for the learning the language were restricted to the odd small shop where I might perhaps make an occasional purchase, or perhaps to deal with the authorities.

It's an excellent way for Finns to exclude foreigners from anything they want to, having these two national languages. Only 5% of Finns speak Swedish at home and despite mandatory Swedish lessons from second grade onward in school, few really speak it thereafter. But if you're educated in this country, you "speak Swedish". Foreigners don't because Finnish is a lifetime chore - particularly if you don't need it.

But who doesn't speak English? Out in the countryside, you're less likely to run into English speakers, so had I lived there, I would very likely be fluent in Finnish or Swedish, depending on which side of the country I would reside.

Language is yet another thing that separates us. The longer I live, the more I see all of these things as things that need to be overcome. There's no reason why we need to separate ourselves from one another. We are one species. We all want the same things at the end of the day. Why do we perpetuate these divisions?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

The area I live has a very large Mexican community, but also African (swahili speaking) and Asian. The one thing that ticks me off more than any other is, even if they honestly dont know the language, they are rude as hell to you if you dont speak theirs. Now granted, many countries have multiple languages and people grow up speaking them, but here, most of us are taught english and speak it at home and in public. It has been our national language for hundreds of years.
I was curious about language and can get into trouble with the various words or sentances Ive learned on over 7 languages. I do feel that if you do migrate, move, transfer or for whatever reason move to another country that has a spoken word you do not have a background in, learn it.
Ive known non americans who live here illegaly, dont speak the language to your face, but know it fluently. They laugh and think its funny when they insult you and make you feel stupid not knowing what youve said.
The communities of most of these above mentioned peoples are horrible. Trashy graffitied up with gang signs and just ugly. They say they hate Americans, and are going to take over, seeing how they plan on doing it, its working. They move 20 people into a one family home, trash the streets and so the other people move away as property values drop and then more come in....its damn sad. Ive known an illegal who faked her pregnancy and married another Mexican for money just to say he was the father and so they could stay here. They were on state assistance yet, her kids wore gold chains and jewelry, name brand clothes and she drove a friggin durango. My husband is from another country too. We spent countless dollars and time doing it the legal way and were treated like # from INS. I get so damned infurriated seeing the illegals do as they please, get what they want and laugh all the way to the bank, while we sit here and work hard, pay rising taxes and try to be the best we can for our country.
Its more than language barriers....its the damn attitudes......

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Maybe that is why i liked the Philippines.
i understand and speak a little German and Tagalog

Most Filipinos speak english spanish and Tagalog/Filipino.

Plus many speak other languages because of there work outside the Philippines.

A friend of mine from the Philippines speaks English, Spanish, Tagalog/Filipino, German (after spending a few years as a seaman on German merchant ships) and Arabic (after working construction in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia)

His biggest laugh is that most hispanics don't understand that Filipinos can understand and speak spanish.
On construction jobs we had more fun with the mexican workers because he could understand them and report to me in a mix of German and Tagalog what they were saying and they could not understand us.

PS many Spanish speakers that have been in the US for years can understand and even speak English but do not let on that they do.
sometimes its because they don't speak it good or sometimes because they have found many people don't bother them if they think Spanish is there only language.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join