It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martha's Vineyard, here comes the Obama family

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

I don't think they realize that Obama has several times told us we need to tighten our belts. They don't agree with it so instead of saying so, they choose instead to point out that W went on more vacations.

As if it makes it alright.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oatmeal
reply to post by mental modulator

Well that is what the king of EARTH does now isn't it? I take issue with fact that you sell this as unprecedented, when in fact it is the norm. The man has his finger on the trigger, so I'd expect he has enough "seniority" to pick his own hours.

It is in fact not the norm. The country hasn't been in this bad of a shape since the great depression. No time for vacations while everyone else tries to scrape by...very bad form, I don't think Mr. Obama will be a two term President.

Then you refuse to reference reality and since it is unacceptable to reference anything
to prove normalcy, I will leave you to a sea of agreement.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I don't think they realize that Obama has several times told us we need to tighten our belts. They don't agree with it so instead of saying so, they choose instead to point out that W went on more vacations. As if it makes it alright.

It always goes back to GWB, don't they realize all these people are one and the same? Didn't Obama just take the family to the Grand Canyon? Europe? This guy needs another vacation?

In addition to Obamas’ European vacation in June, the post didn’t include the Obamas having the Grand Canyon to themselves last week (occurred after the Pundit and Pundette post was written) and may have forgotten to include Obama and Michelle’s needed “Broadway date” in May (cost was an estimated $225,000 - $250,000 for the one night, chump change) and their other “date” when they, the kids, grandma, and Obama entourage flew into Chicago way back on Valentine’s Day so Barack and Michelle could have dinner at Table 52. A lot of nearby businesses lost some big bucks because at the last minute, their customers weren’t allowed into the restricted area to dine with their sweethearts on Valentine’s Day. The Obamas had a nice Valentine’s dinner, though. Funny how there aren’t any nice restaurants in the DC area… a shame.

Source

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Doesn't matter.

Anytime Obama does something that is not right and his supportes don't agree with it, they play the W card.

Think of it as the race card on steroids and ignore those who play it.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Obama's MSM has taken the nod and is using this visit to puff Obama up. No doubt an attempt to bring his number back up. Obama told the media to but out, so instead they go around town showing us all how much everyone loves the great leader. Can anyone really imagine this sort of gushing during Bush?

I wonder why they aren't covering Cindy Sheehan's protest?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Look, here is Bush going to camp David, with about 2 weeks left in his presidency, and during an economic crisis.

link

As I say again, this is much ado about nothing.

To say presidents don't need vacations is just silly. That is why they look like they age 20 years in just 8. They all do.

Not to mention, Obama has young children who are getting ready to go back to school. I have no problem with him spending time with his family. The first ladies are unpaid employees.

Since this is the US there is always a crisis. We have had a war for the past nine years. Should Bush have never taken a vacation at all?

They never truly take vacations. They still get aprised and updated. AF! is a flying white house. While at the GC Obama was probably getting a load down on the state of the NPS and local reservations.

Bush spent plenty of time at his ranch. And I can't say I blame him. He practically ran to the helicopter when he left the WH. Probably screaming in his head: WOOOHOOO I am free. lol

[edit on 24-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
He's on vacation ... AGAIN?

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
As opposed to GWB who spent more time then any other president on Vacation,... .

You do know that when he was on 'vacation' at 'The Western White House', he was on a WORKING vacation, right? That's why it got dubbed 'The Western White House'.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
He's on vacation ... AGAIN?

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
As opposed to GWB who spent more time then any other president on Vacation,... .

You do know that when he was on 'vacation' at 'The Western White House', he was on a WORKING vacation, right? That's why it got dubbed 'The Western White House'.

Ya bub, GW is out and he is probably on vacation...

Its a free country!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I wonder what the tab is for "Security and White House Staff." Did we also pay for the Plane trip there? I wonder just exactly how much this vacation trip is costing the American tax payer. He could have taken the family to Camp David for a week, or stayed home and shoot some hoops. I don't say that the guy doesn't deserve a vacation, he has been at his job for what 8 months? It's just not the time to be telling 300 million Americans, "Hey, I'm spending more of your cash." I'm just wondering how many millions of dollars we have to fork up for his little trip to Martha's Vineyard.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The Obama's are paying the $35,000 themselves.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d90bacb58f3e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa43e407157b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7dd41482ee44.jpg[/atsimg]

I was there the summer they filmed "Jaws"

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by oneclickaway
Yes, a whole eight months must really take it out of someone. I wonder how many have never had a holiday in eight years let alone eight months. When people are losing their homes I don't think he should have gone anywhere at all, as that shows complete disrespect for the people he is supposedly working for. Although we all know they will take everything they can and don't give a fig about anyone else.

Do you get a paid vacation where you work?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
CBS was acting like a bunch of wares peddlers tonight on their hard hitting news.

CBS: Obama Merchandise ‘Selling Like Crazy’ On Martha’s Vineyard

Reporting on the First Family vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard, CBS reporter Chip Reid excitedly exclaimed: "One thing that’s going to give a huge boost to the economy is all the Obama paraphernalia...t-shirts, it’s baseball caps and magnets and coffee mugs and glasses. And restaurants are selling the ‘Baracko Taco.’ Bars are selling ‘Ale to the Chief.’ And all of it is selling like crazy."

Translation: Look America! People are buying Obama shirts and stuff! You should too! We all love the great leader! (sit back and wait for approval ratings to go up)

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aero56

The Obama's are paying the $35,000 themselves.

They are only paying for the rent at the Lodge. They are not paying for all the Security Staff, White House Staff, Airplane...
Lets get one thing straight......a President is never on vacation, he never gets a day off. The fact Obama is partying while the nation suffers is the issue. When President Bush went on "vacation" the unemployment rate was statistically at zero and the economy was booming.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Obams helping my economy.

I sure as heck wouldnt make a special 15 minute trip by boat to go see him.....

Look, all these people need a good vacation. Where would the inspiracion for the next "move" come from???
Things like deciding what to do next to bring the nation together...? Will it be the manmade flu? Will it be blamed on the Russians surrounding our waters as i type this,....yes, a man must think. I have a feeling he's in Marthas Vineyeard on a Sand dune, his wife beater shirt beating in the wind... and that peppermint patty, his teeth glistening with blood....having a chat with his god, making plans for our own good.....

Yes. I can see it now.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

When President Bush went on "vacation" the unemployment rate was statistically at zero and the economy was booming.

FACT CHECK:

Unemployment originally rose from 4.2% in January 2001 to 6.3% in June 2003, but subsequently dropped to 4.5% as of July 2007...By the end of Bush's presidency, unemployment climbed to 7.2%.

Bush entered office with the Dow Jones Industrial Average at 10,587, and the average peaked in October 2007 at over 14,000. When Bush left office, the average was at 7,949, one of the lowest levels of his presidency.

Adjusted for inflation, median household income dropped by $1,175 between 2000 and 2007.

By October 2008, due to increases in domestic and foreign spending, the national debt had risen to $11.3 trillion, an increase of over 100% from the start of the year 2000 when the debt was $5.6 trillion

Source

I think you do better when you cut and paste stories with links and provide no opinion.

Sorry but , it is abundantly clear you have NO CLUE about the devastating economic policies of the Bush era.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Oh snap... KK

oh no, you cross referenced reality and such a move immediately puts you out of the debate

Unless of course, you can understand the language of two rocks being slammed together repeatedly. Otherwise you will never be able to form a proper rebuttal...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
All past presidents have taken vacations and probably all future ones will too. Being POTUS is the most stressful job in the world. Vacations are a perk that goes with the job.

Martha's Vineyard is a very nice place where the Obamas can have the privacy they need but it's no more expensive than most of the resort areas along the east coast.

And of course people would welcome the Obamas there. Massachusetts is a very blue state and besides, they're good for business. Anyone have any problems with old-fashioned capitalism?

Oatmeal, if Obama were reported to have brushed his teeth you would be outraged and make a thread about it.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

When President Bush went on "vacation" the unemployment rate was statistically at zero and the economy was booming.

FACT CHECK:

... Some incomplete data ...

I think you do better when you cut and paste stories with links and provide no opinion.

Sorry but , it is abundantly clear you have NO CLUE about the devastating economic policies of the Bush era.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

Also helps when you actually go out and look at the data sources.

Unemployment bottomed out in October 2006 at 4.1%. Every since then it has been on a steady rise.

Source: Bureau of Labor and Statistics.

The largest container port in the United States, the Port of Los Angeles, where a significant portion of our consumer goods enter the country, peaked at 425,473 twenty foot equivalent units in September 2006. (Inbound Loaded Containers). Ever since then, it has been on a steady decline.

Source: Port of Los Angeles

So.. what is it about 2006?

Interestingly, 2006 marks the transition of the Senate and Congress to Democratic control. The democratic mantra of the time was that the economy is failing and we have to get rid of the corruption.

Along with the Acorn shenanigans, Pelosi being caught in a red handed lie, John Edward's non-affair while his wife was stricken with cancer, come little tidbits like this:

Aug. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Billionaire investor George Soros bought an $811 million stake in Petroleo Brasileiro SA in the second quarter, making the Brazilian state-controlled oil company his investment fund's largest holding.

As of June 30, the stake in Petrobras, as the Rio de Janeiro-based oil producer is known, made up 22 percent of the $3.68 billion of stocks and American depositary receipts held by Soros Fund Management LLC, according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Petrobras has since slumped 28 percent.

Bloomberg

AUGUST 18, 2009, 1:45 P.M. ET

Obama Underwrites Offshore Drilling
Too bad it's not in U.S. waters.

You read that headline correctly. Unfortunately, the Obama Administration is financing oil exploration off Brazil.

The U.S. is going to lend billions of dollars to Brazil's state-owned oil company, Petrobras, to finance exploration of the huge offshore discovery in Brazil's Tupi oil field in the Santos Basin near Rio de Janeiro. Brazil's planning minister confirmed that White House National Security Adviser James Jones met this month with Brazilian officials to talk about the loan.

The U.S. Export-Import Bank tells us it has issued a "preliminary commitment" letter to Petrobras in the amount of $2 billion and has discussed with Brazil the possibility of increasing that amount. Ex-Im Bank says it has not decided whether the money will come in the form of a direct loan or loan guarantees. Either way, this corporate foreign aid may strike some readers as odd, given that the U.S. Treasury seems desperate for cash and Petrobras is one of the largest corporations in the Americas.

WSJ Online

Coincidence or Not? Facts are Facts.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Almost forgot the whole reason I hit this thread...

Obama and his lovely bride have created a Romulan Neutral Zone around themselves while on "Marxist Vineyard." Accordingly, as tourists tried to get within eyesight of the Obamas and their girls having hamburgers at a restaurant, the Secret Service confiscated all cell phones and cameras from everyone in and near the restaurant so that The Royal Couple was not disturbed by the riff raff on the Island. Further, the cook at the restaurant -- some sort of minor celebrity -- had to make the hamburgers, fries, and milkshakes while three Secret Service agents watched him to ensure no poisoning was attempted. Further, The Royal One ordered his hamburger medium-well, immediately infuriating the Hollywood elites there who insist that no burger be cooked more than medium-rare (legislation pending in Boston). If I hadn't heard it from Graham himself, I wouldn't have believed it.

Reportedly heard on WTKK

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This is the most ridiculous thread that's semi-active right now

Sour grapes and whining because the US president has taken a vacation

It's not about the vacation. It's pure spite and childish nonsense

That's why so few are bothering to even participate in this thread, despite the unashamed bumping

This thread is a whine

It's about people who can't move on

And about people who think if they stick out their big bottom lips far enough, the world will come toppling down and 'Obama will be replaced'.

It's not going to happen.

Regardless of the whiners' tantrums, Obama is president. PRESIDENT

The world is never too impressed with US presidents. They've nearly all been laughing stocks. But until the US gets its backsides to the polls on election day, things won't improve.

Nevertheless, Obama is less of a laughing stock in the eyes of the international community than the slap-stick comedian you had last season ... Dubya .. the guy who fell off bikes and spoke soberly of man learning to live in peace with fish .. the guy who was sprung presenting plastic turkeys to kids he and his buddies had sent to kill and be killed .

Remember last season ? Life hasn't been the same since the curtain came down on Dubya. The world lost itself a comic genius and the laughs have been far fewer since Obama took the reins.

But .. the not-as-funny-or-crazy Obama is President now and as the world's learned to adapt, maybe tantrum-throwing Americans should learn to adapt also -- instead of whining choir-like when their President takes a break, lol

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

a local brewer created a new beer called ale to the chief. I would definetly try that.

<< 1    3 >>

join