It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbors trade services, bond through 'time banking'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is something we may all want to look into if the economy doesn't recover...or if mega-inflation does hit.

Bartering is as old as humankind, just about.
I know in the urban US in the late 60s, bartering and co-ops gained in popularity as the hippies tuned-out of the middle class way of life.
Then we got complacent with the "good times"....

....maybe time to go back to the simpler things:

The idea is simple: You lend your neighbor a hand -- maybe mow his lawn or drive him to the supermarket -- and in return, another neighbor patches your roof or walks your dog.

This arrangement -- part collective bartering, part pay-it-forward -- is called "time banking," and at least two Michigan communities have put the idea into action. And more neighborhoods are getting on board as families and seniors find they need to help each other in this tough economy.

At a time when even struggling theater groups and museums are bartering for free services, volunteerism has become a tradable commodity. Michigan is one of 46 states where neighborhoods have established such neighbor-to-labor networks, according to Time Banks USA.

www.detnews.com...

Time Banks USA
wiki on time banking

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

This is a great idea. My wife have looked into co-housing and this is very common amongst co-housing set ups. It would be great to live in a community of like minded individuals.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I agree. A great idea, let alone something so far away from the "norm" of the monetary system that it MUST be a good thing...indeed, seemingly a much more natural common-sense kind of system. When was the last time a system of trade made sense to the little guy? Excellence!!!

Needless to say, I think, most of us here on ATS have probably already thought about a barter system coming into effect by necessity, but I never quite put it together in such a concise way. IMHO, this pretty much brings the barter system idea to its fruition (literally in some cases
), and I can't say I don't like where it ended up. It truly seems a system of people, by people, and for people. Again, great find.

This should be re-posted to as many other boards as possible, and I would imagine - with as many people as there are waking up - it's being done as we speak.

Side Note: Is it just me, or while imagining taking part in this system, does it remind anyone of anything relative or familiar in some way? Doing my best not to digress from this wonderful idea.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I am a member of the Time Bank i spent all last winter taking people to the supermarket who did not have cars. We cashed in our hours and got 6 people to help my husband build a new shed we saved well over $1k.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Does it really need thinking about or assigned a name?

This IS WHAT WE SHOULD ALL BE DOING ALREADY!

Seriously, talk about stating the obvious.

Now we need to include agriculture into this, i.e. local people go to a farm and work in exchange for food. Or people growing their own and swapping with others.

Then, throw the central government out of your community and elect new officials to listen to the local community ONLY (no corporate involvement, no pressure groups forcing legislation, no religious powers inflicting freedom-restricting laws...)
Then build adequate housing for your kids in your community.
Then create local education, removing the need for state controlled education.
Remove the corporate giants from their purpose built houses and install a farmers market.

Everything should be regional and localised. F**k the corporate globalisation that has driven the people to this point, run your community as you see fit, and shun "big business" in every respect.

We were all warned over a decade ago when "Hippies" and groups like Greenpeace were saying all of this would happen. We chose not to listen, and guess what, they were absolutely right. Globalisation leads to chaos and destruction.

new topics

top topics

join